Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

July 2020 chemo club

iamloved
iamloved Member Posts: 197

Well I am scheduled for July 13 for my port and July 14 7:15 am to start my "infusions"...so much nicer word than chemo. I hope others join to share this very scary journey. I plan to fast 48 hours before and the day of the infusions to reduce side effects. Wishing all a safe and healthty journey.

July Chemo club roll call

Iamloved (Joni ) Start date July 15 TCHP

Annathebrave (Anna ) Start date July 23 TCHP

Trynryan (Amy) TCHP start date 7/8

My name is Rona (username kukalona), started TC on July 10th

mtspacekace (Kacie) July 7. TCHP

kmom57 Four rounds of TC (Taxotere, Cytoxan), every 21 days.Started July 31. Finish oct 2.

melbo (Melissa) TCHP — start 7 augus

Shar2020 July 23 TCH

Brittonkb (Kim) 4 AC every other week started 8/3 followed by 12 weekly Taxol. Should finish 12/14 if all goes as planned.

Smichaels11 (Shauna) 7/1 TCHP

Christine aka: "BlusteryDay" - 4 AC + 4 DD Taxol. Started on July 17th

Comments

• mtspacekace
    mtspacekace Member Posts: 123
    edited July 2020

Hi chemo buddy! I got my port in just 2 days ago...and it’s healing great. The pain is minimal after just 2 days! I get to start chemo on Tuesday... TCHP regiment, 6 times every 3 week... This first dose they said will take about 5-6 hours! And since Covid restrictions, I can’t have a friend with me. I met with my oncologist today, picked up my prescriptions, and plan to have a fun weekend with family celebrating America’s Birthday, before getting this show on the road!

• iamloved
    edited July 2020

mtspacekace...My breast clinic will put the port in the day before I start and leave the needle in. They tell me it takes about 4 to 6 hours just for that. How was your experience with the port placement. I am doing the same treatment as you so we can compare notes! Prayers for a quick recovery for you after each infusion.

• mtspacekace
    edited July 2020

Iamloved; The surgery to put the port in was an outpatient surgery...it took longer for them to start my IV because I have hard veins to find, and they blew out 3 times before calling in the IV team to get it right. After that, I walked to the surgery room, laid down on the table and the last thing I remember was the anesthesiologist telling me he was giving me meds to relax...the next thing I knew I was with a nurse in recovery. Surgery only took about 20 minutes...falling asleep and waking up took longer. Where they placed the port kind of had a burning sensation when I woke up, so they gave me some pain meds and it wasn’t long before my husband joined me and we were headed for home! It was quick and fairly painless. Day 2 of recovery and the site is a little sore, but not bad...I am kind of tired...but not getting to eat all day, on the day of surgery and having to travel 2.5 hours home took it out of me I think. I have tried to keep up on pain meds (just ibuprofen) and that has helped a lot! Each step of the way has been scary...but in the end turned out better than expected...praying that is how this journey continues.

• Smichaels11
    Smichaels11 Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2020

Hi ladies! I originally joined the May chemo club because there wasn't anything for June or July yet.

My name is Shauna and I am 30 years old, with a 5 year old son. I started TCHP on 7/1 and will have 6 rounds every 3 weeks, followed by Herceptin to complete a year. Based on what you've shared, I think were all looking at similar treatment!

Today was day 2 post first chemo for me. I'm feeling okay, just some heartburn and burning when I pee. I also went out and cut my long hair short (which I hate!) but knew it would be easier than watching long chunks come out.

My port placement was back on 6/22 and it went off without a hitch. I was under twilight anesthesia so although I was awake I was heavily out of it. I was at the hospital for about e hours but the surgery itself was about 20 minutes. I was sore for about 3 days but now I'm totally fine. Thankfully I have some meat around my collar bone area so the port doesnt create a noticable bump. And the port made chemo completely painless and easy.

Hoping everything goes well for you ladies!

• Smichaels11
    edited July 2020

Oh and this is what the port looks like in use during chemo if you're wondering. (I know I was when all this started)

• JoseGarcia
    JoseGarcia Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020

Take good care of yourself Iamloved. I hadn't heard about the fasting but we might try that.

My name is Jose. I don't have breast cancer but my partner does. She had chemo for the first time on Tuesday and she's currently in bed feeling very fatigued. Her energy comes and goes. She was relatively full of pepper yesterday and went out to the local doctors office. It was 2 blocks away in the brutal Spanish heat in the middle of the day and when she came back she was wiped out.

I made her roast chicken and potato and she perked up. We've been laughing and smiling a lot but this morning she's very tired and questioning if this is normal.

• trynryan
    trynryan Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2020

hello all. This is my first post. I had a port placed on Friday July 3 and am starting 6 rounds of TCHP Wednesday July 8. Feeling very nervous and anxious to start moving forward

• iamloved
    edited July 2020

Welcome Trynryan. My prayers for you to have a complete response to this therapy. Do you have plans to minimize side effects? I am looking into icing my hands and feet. And fasting before the treatments. Let us know how your first treatment goes.

• millie5
    millie5 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2020

Hi everyone, starting my first chemo on Thursday, and I' pretty terrified.

• iamloved
    edited July 2020

millie5 Welcome! I too am terrified of the internal damage to my body and lasting effects. Hopefully we get thru this together.

• millie5
    edited July 2020

Thx for the support and encouragement. There's two of us then. I see you plan fasting before the treatments. Is there a recommendation about the diet before the treatment?

• Smichaels11
    edited July 2020

Hi there!

I started chemo on 7/1 and just wanted to let you know that the worry is the hardest part. It's no cakewalk, that's for sure, but it is manageable if you stay on top of the meds and follow the guidance of the nurses there to help you. I am on day 5 and still feel pretty tired, but I'm hoping to turn the corner soon. I cut my long hair very short and bought many comfort items, as well as a couple of wigs and head wraps to prepare.

This is a terrible thing we are being forced to deal with, and I'm still trying to get my emotions together. We will be on the other side of it, so I'm trying to keep my thoughts focused on that. You will do just fine!

Shauna

• iamloved
    edited July 2020

Millie5 Small studies with fasting have shown promising results. A lot of anecdotal evidence. As for me I have fasted on and off for the last 2 years so worth a try for the side effects. I have to read up on the cold packs for hands and feet.

Smichaels11 Did you ice?

• Smichaels11
    edited July 2020

Iamloved, yes I did ice my hands and feet during the taxotere infusion which was one hour. I didnt even need to ask, the nurse just brought me buckets of ice and gloves/socks to protect my skin. I do feel some tingling in my finger tips and toes, so I hope with continued icing during future treatments it will continue to help. I certainly do not want to deal with any neuropathy. I enjoy walking barefoot in the summertime.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,810
    edited July 2020

Welcome, Millie5! We know it's a scary time, but you are definitely not alone, and we're all here for you and with you.

The Mods

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,810
    edited July 2020

And welcome, Trynryan! You've come to the right place for support on this journey.

The Mods

• millie5
    edited July 2020

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm still looking for some scarves and wigs. I find it difficult to have my long hair cut short now, but I'm aware that I'll have to. And I'll definitely check fasting studies.

• Goldfishka
    Goldfishka Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020

Hello beautiful and strong ladies, I just had my first round of chemo on July 3rd, I am very tired now. Have some energy in the morning but after 2 pm I am wiped out.

I will have 5 more treatments and surgery after. I am a mother of 2 girls (9 and 5) and I am planning to fight this battle for them!

• iamloved
    edited July 2020

Goldfishka Good for you! As a grandmother to 4 beautiful granddaughter you have 2 good reasons to beat this! I hope your energy comes back soon. May I ask what kind of chemo you are taking?

• kukalona
    kukalona Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2020

Hi,

New here. My name is Rona. I'll be 40 on July 9th and will begin my TC chemo on July 10th. I'm a scientist (biologist, cancer research ironically) and mom of 3 (9, 7 and 3).

I'm going to be cold-capping, which I hope to be able to tolerate and maybe avoid some hair loss. Between the capping, icing hands and feet, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to hold a book or play candy crush on my phone during my infusion.

My biggest concern right now is Covid19, my kids are going to daycamps and daycare and I'm concerned about being exposed on one hand, but also don't want to have the kids in the house for the rest of the summer, as it would be much harder on everyone... Moms, any thoughts?

Hoping we can help each other stay strong through this :)

• mtspacekace
    edited July 2020

TCHP Infusion 1 done! I just got home from a long day at the infusion center. Everything went fairly well, I did have a reaction to either the Herceptin or Perjeta which felt like pins and needles poking me in my organs. The nurse gave me Benadryl and Pepcid and it went away. The nausea meds she gave me must be working, because I don’t feel sick to my stomach. Just a bit tired from the Benadryl. So glad it is over. I didn’t ice...the nurses said it wouldn’t really make that big of a difference for neuropathy. I also have a shot patch on my arm that will give me a shot tomorrow to help with my blood counts. So that’s neat I don’t have to go back in for that. Praying I stay feeling semi good for the next few days!

• trynryan
    trynryan Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2020

I am so glad to hear this report mtspacekace! I am I day behind you, getting this same cocktail tomorrow as my first treatment. I am hoping to bring my laptop and work most of the day. Can't wait to hear some more reports from you if you feel well enough, and I will try too. Take Care.

• Julz42XX
    Julz42XX Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2021

So, this is actually my 2nd time going through chemo & I’m not really looking forward to the treatments but u gotta do what u gotta do! I’m 44 & grannie to a 4 yr old & a 3month old They are the sunshine’s to my life and I want to be around for years!

This is a very scary roller coaster but we have this guys

When my hair came back from my 1st treatment 2-18 it was so soft & curly ( b4 it was straight) currently, my hair is at the middle of my back. I did my 1st treatment 7-2 & just like b4, days 3-4 are the worse. I would recommend swishing water with Crushed ice during treatment because I do think it helps keep the mouth soars away. I will be praying for all of you, positive vibes

• Goldfishka
    Goldfishka Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020

Thank you for welcome, I am on FEC-D for 3 sessions, followed by 3 D and surgery after.

Don't have nausea thanks God, but my active hours very short, from morning to 2 pm. After that I can't do anything. No reading, movies, kids activities. Just staying in bed trying to find position where less things hurt.

Not that anyone promised it to be easy, but it's not picnic!

• millie5
    edited July 2020

Thank you all ladies for sharing your experiences, so the newbies like me can know what to expect. Stay strong and positive!

• shar2020
    shar2020 Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2020

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences here. I wish everyone the very best as we go through the weeks and months ahead.

I will be starting chemo next week. I am reading a useful book to try to stay in the moment instead of tumbling down an anxiety-filled rabbit hole: Mindfulness-Based Cancer Recovery.

• blusteryday
    blusteryday Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2020

Looks like I'll be joining the "Club"... Not one I ever wanted to join, but at least I'm in great company, it seems! I'm a 50 with 2 grown kiddos - a daughter and son.

I've been waiting on my Oncotype test to result...and apparently it did. I got the call today that Friday I'll meet with my MO to go over the plan, have my Covid test (AGAIN) and then port placement is scheduled for sometime Monday. Tuesday, I'll have a 2D echo to check heart function. When I saw my MO 1.5 weeks ago he said he'd probably start with "anthracycline" so at least I know that little bit of information?

I'm going to read up on the fasting...I already do low carb, and am slowly weeding out the "bad" things in my diet.

Trying to stay calm and have peace about the process.

• iamloved
    edited July 2020

Sharon2020 welcome! I also start next week. So nervous but trying to just be in the present moment and not worry about tomorrow's trouble that may or may not happen! Prayers for you as you start this journey.

• mtspacekace
    edited July 2020

Day 1 after chemo was surprisingly good! My nausea meds are working well, and besides a bit of a headache I feel ok. I’m scared I’m going to feel like death the next few days 😕... I’ve been trying to drink plenty of water, which tastes like ashes. Doing salt water rinses every time I eat...the steroids don’t let me sleep much (about 7 hours last night and a 1 hour nap this afternoon), but I’m done with those tonight...so I think I’ll be super tired tomorrow. I called into my dr to see if I can take something for the headache. It’s not too bad...but I don’t want it to get worse. Still waiting to hear from them. Also, I got the Neulasta patch...so I didn’t have to go back in today for the shots to boost my white blood cells. That was handy! All went well there!

• Smichaels11
    edited July 2020

Awesome to hear it went well for you and you're feeling alright. Keep up with the hydration and meds and you'll be just fine! I alternate tylenol and aspirin for headaches. I was also told to take claritin to help with the bone pain associated with neulasta which worked very well.

I am on day 8 and feeling a little worse for the wear, but hoping the rest of this week and next week bring me back to normal!