Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in August 2020

Options
brittonkb
brittonkb Member Posts: 81

Hi ladies! I don't see a post yet for August 2020. I get my chemo port on Monday 8/3 and will start chemo that same day. 4 treatments (every other week) AC followed by 12 weekly treatments of Taxol. I thought I had done a lot of research but am finding that there's still much to learn!

I am a 48 year old wife and mother of 2 teenagers. No family history BC (or any cancer for that matter). I had a 'clean' mammogram in September 2019. Felt a lump in April and now here I am. Was initially diagnosed as borderline Stage 1 and 2 because my tumor measured at 2.1 cm in the mammogram and 2.0 cm in MRI, with no clinical LN involvement. However, during my lumpectomy the tumor ended up measuring 4.5 cm and cancer detected in 3 of 4 sentinel nodes including extracapsular extension in one. At that point, I switched my care to a large cancer center a couple hours away. The doctors there felt I had a high risk of additional LN involvement and I had a ALND a few weeks ago. Very happy to say that no additional cancer was found. Luckily those doctors can still direct my treatment but I can have the infusions done locally.

Comments

• shar2020
    shar2020 Member Posts: 196
    Options

Brittonkb, I am in the July group, but I see there is no one else here with you yet in the August group. I hope today’s port placement and infusion go well for you.

• brittonkb
    Options

Sharon2020 thank you so much! Everything went well today. I’m super tired ... not sure if it’s from the chemo already or because I had to get up at 4 am this morning.

• mtspacekace
    mtspacekace Member Posts: 123
    Options

I am also in the July group, but wanted to wish you well on your journey. Get lots of rest, both made me tired, I couldn’t imagine having both on the same day!

• brittonkb
    Options

Thank you mtspacekace! I definitely got lots of sleep. Woke up with puffy hands - hoping it's just related to sleeping too long. Hopeful to be able to work today. Hope you are doing well.

• shar2020
    shar2020 Member Posts: 196
    Options

Brittonkb, that’s great your first infusion went well. I hope you are getting a lot of rest. Thinking about you as you recover from this first infusion.

• Dubhain
    Dubhain Member Posts: 17
    Options

Can anyone tell me if taking multivitamins interferes with chemo? I had my first infusion a week ago, followed by the neulastam. I was warned tge Neulasta would give me body aches which I only did slightly, but I wasn't sure if my diet also played a part, so I thought taking multivitamins would help when lacking the right nutrition.

• brittonkb
    Options

Dubhain - I’m not sure about the multivitamin. Would definitely check with your MO first. I was advised to take Claritin to help with Neulasta SE’s for 5 days post-infusion. Today will be my 5th day and I haven’t experienced any pain. Good luck to you!

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    Options

Hello ladies. Im getting my port put in tomorrow and will start Abraxane and Tecentriq next Wednesday. I did chemo in 2012 at first diagnosis. I metastasized 3 years ago and have remained stable on meds till now. I will be getting chemo every week for 3 weeks and 1 week off. I am happy to have a group to go thru this with. I also hope I can help others with my years of experience in this game. Healing hugs to all

• brittonkb
    Options

Hi melmcbee! So sorry you have to go through chemo again but hope this next treatment works wonders for you! I jumped over to the July chemo group because there weren't many of us here. Your willingness to help others even when you're fighting your own battle is inspiring. I hope all goes well with your first treatment. I go for AC #2 on Monday. My SEs weren't bad at all so praying for that to continue. But my blood counts are really low right now so I'm more concerned that my treatment will be delayed. How was your port placement? Everything I've read indicated it should feel like nothing but mine still annoys me. I feel minor pains when I use my arm too much (washed my hair this morning and started to hurt somewhat) and I can just feel it's there. I got it 9 days ago so hoping that subsides soon. Good news is that the incision itself is healing well.

• LKinKC
    LKinKC Member Posts: 41
    Options

Hi Ladies

brittonkb so glad you started this post. The pain from your port will get better just give it some time it's still healing mine took a good 4 weeks .I had pain especially when i tried to sleep on that side

I am in the same boat as Melmcbee. First diagnosid in January of 2018 and did chemo then. Just diagnosid in July with stage IV. I had my port placed Aug 7 chemo started Aug 11, I'm on Taxol weekly, then they add Perjeta, and Herceptin every 3 weeks. Feeling pretty good today hope the side effects are less this time. I can add my experience with chemo before to help others also. Hugs to everybody since we can't hug people in person. I really miss that.

• brittonkb
    Options

LKinKC - Glad you’re here although sad for the reason. Hope your treatment goes well and side effects are minimal. Thank you so much for the port info. I’ve read so much that 24-48 hours is all the time it takes to get past any pain. While the pain is intermittent, flaring up mostly with overuse, it’s still there. I do feel it getting better as time passes though.

• melmcbee
    Options

Hey ladies. Yes my port hurts. I dont remember it being a problem last time. Have severe onset of right thigh/groin pain. Not sure if I pulled a muscle or if it could have anything to do with port placement. Luckily my nurse will stop by tomorrow for my Nephrostomy tube bandage and I will ask her. Healing prayers and hugs to all

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    Options

Hi Ladies...I started Halaven /Erubilin 2 weeks ago but had to take a week off because of Oral Shingles...I just got my chemo again Thursday and 1 day later (yesterday) I got diarrhea and again today diarrhea..... I am normally a Constipated person..every single cancer drug that normally causes diarrhea...would just make me normal ...until yesterday.....I wanted to take something natural like a probiotic but didn't want one with a BILLION strains...(I just think that is over kill) so besides Immodium what do you all take??

Also...Melmcbee my next treatment MAY be Abraxane with Tecentriq...how are your doing on it what are your side effects??

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    Options

Hi ladies, I was newly diagnosed 8/3 with IDC, HER2 +, GRADE 3, node bx. On 8/7. Pet ct in 4 days ... hopefully can stage it then. Last September mammo with US Normal. Also inflammatory, 2 masses lt. breast. Port going in on Friday, then chemo every 3weeks x 6 Followed by surgery . I appreciate everyone sharing their story. Helping me a lot. How bad is the diarrhea from Perjeta & Herceptin? Traveling 100 miles for Tx. Long ride home if se happens quickly. Receiving TCH + P. Seems like it's taking forever to get Tx., maybe just my nerves.

• mtspacekace
    mtspacekace Member Posts: 123
    Options

DeniseML: My Perjeta induced diarrhea does not start usually until day 4-5. I feel really good the day of and the next day after TCHP. I have a steroid I take the day before, day of, day after infusions. Best of luck with your treatment! It’s not a walk in the park...but it’s not the worst either.

• melmcbee
    Options

Nicole I start treatment this Wednesday. Im researching side effects.

Welcome Denise.

Healing hugs to al

• nicolerod
    Options

Thanks Mel...which chemo are you starting?

Anyone else on Eruibulin /halaven?

• brittonkb
    Options

Welcome Nicole & Denise!

Good luck with upcoming treatments/port. I go for Infusion #2 tomorrow. I’m doing AC 4 treatments every other week followed by 12 weekly Taxol. Sounds like I’m on a different regiment than the rest of you. Haven’t had any diarrhea so not much help

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    Options

thanks for the encouragement and info. good to hear SE was delayed. keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Will let you know how I make out

• melmcbee
    Options

Nicole, I will start Abraxane and Tecentriq.

• nicolerod
    Options

Mel...that may be my "Hail Mary" next... I do know that a year and half ago when I was diagnosed Stage 4 at that time 10% of my tumor cells had the PDL1 gene...so my MO is going to try to get me the Tecentriq with the Abraxane next. It's not looking so good over here...I have failed every treatment since diagnosis :(

• brittonkb
    Options

Hugs to you Nicole! It must b frustrating and scary to have treatments fail. I hope this next treatment knocks your cancer for a loop and remains effective for a long time to come!

• nicolerod
    Options

Thanks Britt :(. today wasn't a good day... :(. if you go in the Liver Mets thread..I kind of vented :(

• brittonkb
    Options

Nicole - I’m so so sorry you’ve had a rough day! I did go and read your last post in that thread. I’d say you are more than entitled to such venting! I can’t relate to your situation like the ladies there can, but please know I’m thinking about and praying for you. Still hoping this next treatment breaks the chain of failed treatments, and that you wake up tomorrow with a renewed sense of hope.

• nicolerod
    Options

Thanks Britt! Hugs!

• Me2018
    Me2018 Member Posts: 12
    Options

HI - I get to start chemo again (Abraxane) on Thursday. I did a full course back in 2018, but my cancer just gave me a sucker punch (Pericardio effusion/ Lung PE) - so back I go. I'm just glad I never got rid of my port.

• nicolerod
    Options

Welcome Me! I go for my Halaven 3 infusion on Thursday as well. :)

• brittonkb
    Options

Welcome Me! I hope all goes well for you on Thursday!

Nicole - I hope you’re having a good day! And hoping everything goes well for you on Thursday too.

I had my second AC infusion yesterday. So far so good. Some fatigue and a little heartburn but could be a lot worse!

• Mary6886
    Mary6886 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello! I started chemo my first chemo treatment of taxol yesterday. I am doing pretty well today. I have been on a clinical trial drug, Neratinib, for one week but that is an oral administration. Lots of changes in my life. This is my first diagnosis of breast cancer at it is inflammatory breast cancer, Stage IV with Mets to the bones. I was told it was aggressive and while most cancers divide at a rate of 10-15% mine is 50%. I am scared but I am trying to take things one day at a time. If this a continuing group can someone please add me?

Thanks,

Mar

• brittonkb
    Options

Welcome Mary! There aren't a great number of us in the August chemo group, but I think you'll find great support from the ladies on here. I know some also have mets to bones so may be able to help with questions that may arise. All of the early data and information can be so overwhelming. I'll be thinking about you and hoping the Taxol treatment proves effective for you and that you are feeling ok with limited side effects. Keep us informed. You might also check for threads specific to bone mets and inflammatory breast cancer which may be really helpful to you.