Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo February 2021

pdcinti
pdcinti Member Posts: 7

Thought I would get a thread started for those getting ready to start!

Comments

• pdcinti
    edited January 2021

Hi!

I'm supposed to be starting TC next Monday - if the PS gives me the all-clear on Friday. I'm a little nervous - mostly from the unknown. But the different posts here have helped with knowing the possibilities. I'm looking forward to "meeting" the rest of you!

• ChathamLady
    ChathamLady Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2021

starting tomorrow

Can't sleep - talking to God

Worried about side effects / quality life

Trying to be optimistic but do daun

Prayers.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited January 2021

pdcinti, welcome to Breastcancer.org and thank you SOOO much for starting this thread! Hope you all stay connected here, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Best wishes.

From the Mods

• pdcinti
    edited January 2021

ChathamLady - I totally understand. Lots of praying and just trying to stay positive, but it's so hard with the unknowns. What type of chemo are you getting? How often?

I'll be saying prayers for you and sending you peace!!

• ChathamLady
    ChathamLady Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2021

Arrimidex and Ibrance. Forgive spelling errors

• pdcinti
    edited January 2021

Hopefully you have glanced through some of the threads - especially the helpful tips ones. They have helped me to feel a little more prepared!! I'm taking different meds than you - but it's all a not pleasant necessity!! Hang in there!!

• ConniefromConnecticut
    ConniefromConnecticut Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

I'm starting chemo on 2/1 ... Monday. I will be getting Taxol x 12 weekly with Herceptin and Progeta every three weeks. Planning to cold cap -- my Dignicap came today. My port was put in yesterday ... and I have a wig consult tomorrow just in case.

• pdcinti
    edited January 2021

Hi Connie!! I start on Monday too!! Spending my weekend trying to get some things together so I don't have to leave the house much next week. How is your port feeling? And how was your wig consult?

• lw422
    lw422 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited January 2021

Hello everyone. I'm getting my port installed Monday and meet with MO on Tuesday, so I'm expecting my chemo to start later in the week. I'm nervous about the port but then again I'm nervous about everything. I wish I could get a handle on this anxiety.

Tell me what to expect with the port installation. Did anyone have any problems with the procedure?

I think my chemo is going to be Taxol for 12 weeks and then AC, whatever that is.

• Maddy83f
    Maddy83f Member Posts: 78
    edited January 2021

Hello everyone. I started chemo exactly a year ago - AC & T and am dropping by because I found it so hopeful last year when others who came before me would share their experience. I have a friend who went thru chemo 10 years before I did - she told me to focus on drinking water, eating protein and walking throughout my chemo treatment. She also told me that I should get a 'stockpile' of various food that might be appealing to me when I felt nauseous. I got some crackers, canned peaches, ginger ale etc. I still have days where I feel as though ginger ale is the only beverage that will sit well in my stomach. The thought of starting chemo can become overwhelming - I visualized it as this great big thing that I needed to 'pop' like a balloon to reduce its overwhelming presence. I had a port and am very glad I did. I started taking Claritin a week before I started chemo and took it everyday and never experienced the bone pain from the nulesta. If you feel nauseous - reach out to your MO - they have an arsenal of prescriptions for the side effects - but can only prescribe them if you ask and let them know whatever you are doing isn't working. I will checking in to see how you are all doing - and to answer any questions you may have. I know it is hard to believe but you will get thru this!

• lw422
    edited January 2021

Thanks, Maddy. It's nice to hear from those who have walked this path before us.

• AC602
    AC602 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2021

Just got diagnosed 3 weeks ago. Starting Chemo o 2/9, every other week for 16 weeks, then surgery, then radiation. Still can't believe this is happening. Will become more real when I get my port this week. Anyone using the cooling cap. I haven’t decided yet. Thinking not, don’t like being cold, overwhelmed by the prep, etc. and extra time in a chair and managing chemo seems like plenty. Thanks all

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited January 2021

Welcome AC602, glad you found us here. You may want to look at this thread, if you haven't already: Cold Caps Users Past and Present.

• pdcinti
    edited January 2021

LW - I had my port placed a little over 2 weeks ago. It was pretty easy. I had a twilight sedative - so basically I fell asleep and woke up when it was over. I went home and napped. The weirdest part was the sensation that your skin is pulling in that area - I felt it especially when I stood up. That only lasted a day or two and I read that it's normal. So nothing to worry about. My MO prescribed a numbing cream that I will put on in the morning before I go in for chemo with a little piece of plastic wrap over it to help when they access the port. Hopefully you will find it as easy as I have - especially compared to accessing through an IV. My veins are awful, so this will be much better.

• lw422
    edited January 2021

Hello AC602 and sorry that we have to meet under these circumstances. I got my final diagnosis 11 days ago and it already seems like another lifetime. My port will be installed tomorrow and then I suppose it will be real... I'm officially a cancer patient. I don't plan to cold cap but I will use the icing of my hands and feet; I don't want neuropathy if I can avoid it. (Of course I dread losing my hair but hopefully that's temporary.)

I hope we can compare notes as we travel this scary road together. My very best wishes to you.

• lw422
    edited January 2021

Hi pdcinti. Thanks for that; I'm dreading the port but I know it's a necessary evil. Sounds like it's not so bad after all. My best wishes for successful treatment to you.

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2021

Hello,

I was given this thread as I had started one like this so I wanted to pop in. I can relate to all of the anxiety and talks with God. I am also battling fears. I have port surgery this week and will start Ac/Taxol on the 2nd week of Feb

Wishing my best to all of us!

• lw422
    edited January 2021

Hi there AB45. Sounds like you and I will both be getting our ports this week. Good luck and I hope we both have an easy time of it.

• Maddy83f
    edited February 2021

For those getting ports this week - I had same experience as pdcinti when my port was put in a year ago. it was a short easy process - I was also in 'twilight' and just went home and rested afterwards. I also had the numbing cream to put on the port every morning before chemo - I slathered it on and covered it with Saran Wrap while traveling. I never felt a thing when the port was accessed. Another 'plus' - the port was on the upper right part of my chest so when I was getting the chemo - the IV pole was behind me. it allowed me to ignore the chemo and it was easy to distract myself.

I will be thinking of all of you - sending love and strength. you can do this!

• ab45
    edited February 2021

AC602, are you on Ac/Taxol? U start chemo a day before me

• ab45
    edited February 2021

Maddy83f, when you got your infusion, did you ever feel dizzy or woozy on your regimen?

• ab45
    edited February 2021

LW422, what day is your port surgery?

• Maddy83f
    edited February 2021

AB45 I never got dizzy or woozy during my infusions. I was fairly comfortable - loved the warm blankets and the nurses were wonderful.

• lw422
    edited February 2021

AB45--my port is being installed tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous tonight. I meet with my MO on Tuesday so I guess I'll find out when chemo starts then.

• Akmill27
    Akmill27 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

starting 2/8 and scared about so many things- the side effects, trying to work, not being there for my 3 little kids, all the unknowns ... but trying to stay positive and know this is what needs to happen to get better

• lw422
    edited February 2021

Hello AKMill27. Seems that all of us are feeling the same anxiety, but hopefully we can get through this together. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this as a young working mother. I had a meltdown earlier tonight but finally pulled myself together. I should be in bed but I know I'd just lay there staring at the ceiling. Cancer SUCKS.

• lw422
    edited February 2021

I had the port placement surgery today and so far, so good. I have a bandage over the port site under my collarbone, and a bandage on my jugular vein in my neck. It wasn't painful at first but it has been a few hours and it's getting sore; kind of hurts to turn my head and I have a headache. I'm going to take a Tramadol and go to bed early.

• lw422
    edited February 2021

Met with my MO this morning; my chemo starts next Tuesday. I was asked to consider participating in a clinical trial but I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm doing some research about it this afternoon because they want an answer ASAP. Either way, I'm starting treatment next week.

• AC602
    edited February 2021

LW422- Thanks so much for writing! I am glad there is someone else out there who isn't going to use the cap. But I totally agree with you about the ice for hands and feet.

I too dread losing my hair, but am also thinking about shaving my head as a proactive step. I'll let you know what I decide. Yes I would be happy to stay in touch as we progress on this journey. Best wishes back to you!

• AC602
    edited February 2021

AB45- Yes I am doing AC/Taxol. Good luck to you and all of us!