Topic: Starting Chemo September 2021

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After — Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Aug 25, 2021 07:25AM

Posted on: Aug 25, 2021 07:25AM

hummingbirdaz wrote:

Thinking perhaps we start a thread for those of us staring at chemo in September. How are you preparing; physically, mentally and emotionally? I know I've been doing research, asking questions, stalking past chemo threads and messaging ladies here. While I am pretty scared, I thought I was mentally prepared. But as I prep to have the port placed tomorrow, things are getting very real and I don't think I'm as prepared as I thought. I've never taken any drugs other than an occasional Ibuprofin and have never used my insurance for anything that isn't routine. The thought of intentionally putting toxins into my body is gut wrenching, not to mention adding more drugs to combat the side effects of the initial drug. It's somewhat overwhelming!

My first infusion (AC+T) is Friday, 9/3 and I'll report back but would love to hear from others and how they are coping.

DX: 7-1-21. IDC 1B/N1/M0 grade 1. HR+ PR+ HER2- Surgery 3/8/2021 Cryotherapy (Left); Cryotherapy (Right); Lumpectomy (Left); Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Dx 7/1/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 13/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 7/4/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 9/2/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2022

Page 3 of 48 (475 results)

Sep 2, 2021 08:43PM 1982m wrote:

Good luck on your first infusion tomorrow HummingbirdAZ! I hope it all goes well.

Today was week 3 from surgery and still no pathology. A person I know who had surgery the Monday before me got their pathology today so I’m hoping by Tues I’ll have it. Ready to get the show on the road!

Dx 7/13/2021, IDC/DCIS, Left, <1, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Sep 2, 2021 09:26PM k-gobby wrote:

I get taxol then carboplatin. I am asking the doctor tomorrow with my 4th infusion why 12 in 12 weeks. I look to not have anything noted anywhere but in my breast. A Pelvic ultrasound monday that showed a cyst, but nothing else. Chemo started for me August 14th on a Saturday. All others are on Fridays. I see many of you have 4 hours? I had thought that was mine, but my wait in the waiting room is usually an hour till the actual infusion and VAD wait. The infusion is one hour plus 30 minutes. 2 hours in the seat. Immediate tired with the med they give and by the time I leave, the tired wears off. I pray all of us go through each one the best possible.

Chemotherapy 8/14/2021 Other Surgery 2/1/2022 Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Left): Skin Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Targeted Therapy 2/1/2022 Talzenna (talazoparib) Targeted Therapy 2/1/2022 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Sep 3, 2021 04:11AM - edited Sep 3, 2021 04:22AM by DebbieM1958

Good morning, I am new here and recently diagnosed with Triple Positive BC. I start my chemo on Sept. 9th. Got my port placement done yesterday, a little sore today but not too bad. Nervous about the effects of chemo but ready to get this going so I can look back on it in the rear view mirror. I have 18 weeks of chemo, each infusion 3 weeks apart. Looking forward to hearing from others who recently started, and sharing progress stories. I am a 63 year old female in California. Like everyone else my emotions are all over the place, but trying to stay super positive for me and for my hubby/adult kids.

Dx 7/30/2021, IDC, Right, Stage IB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 1/21/2022 Mastectomy: Left, Right Targeted Therapy 1/21/2022 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 3, 2021 04:16AM DebbieM1958 wrote:

Hi Cactushouse - I feel the same as you do - not sure exactly what to expect with first treatment on the 9th. I am getting Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin and Perjeta. Nervous about potential side effects and hoping I can ace this. Hair loss sounds certain and not sure how I will deal with this but really not my main concern right now. Never thought I would be here. Fingers crossed and prayers for everyone who is going through this process for a very positive outcome.

Dx 7/30/2021, IDC, Right, Stage IB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 1/21/2022 Mastectomy: Left, Right Targeted Therapy 1/21/2022 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Sep 3, 2021 06:46AM hummingbirdaz wrote:

Thank You 1982M! I'm T-minus 2.5 hours away from the first drip--have a 5 hour appointment for today's infusion. I'm going to shower and put the EMLA cream on to numb it as long as possible. Yesterday I went in for a blood draw and the first time through the port. It hurt more than I thought but she said it was the first time and will get better. I'm wondering how it will feel after the needle being in there for 5 hours...

Yesterday, the oncologist went over all the potential side effects again, which was depressing, but no one typically has all of them. She said whatever occurs after the first one will be "my side effects" and the same every time, so easier to deal with. As usual, I'm preparing for the worst so will hopefully be surprised. My son came in from California to take me and will stay for a few days, thankfully. I'll report back with my experience and pray everyone has few side effects and can rock the bald head in a few weeks!!

DX: 7-1-21. IDC 1B/N1/M0 grade 1. HR+ PR+ HER2- Surgery 3/8/2021 Cryotherapy (Left); Cryotherapy (Right); Lumpectomy (Left); Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Prophylactic mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Dx 7/1/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 13/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 7/4/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 9/2/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2022

Sep 4, 2021 03:03PM 4kids4dogs wrote:

HI ladies. I'm 53 years old and was diagnosed August 9th with breast cancer, ER+ Pr+ and HER2+. I guess this is the triple positive kind. I just started chemo yesterday. Was there for 8 hours. The doctor wanted to start aggressively. I feel ok today, but think my tastebuds might be changing already. Nothing tastes the same now. I will be getting chemo every 3 weeks for 6 cycles, then surgery, then radiation. I think that's my plan. Doctor said side effects usually start around day 3 to day 7. Hoping side effects arent too bad! I am at stage 1B, which i'm so thankful for. My doctor said he expects to cure me, so that helps so much with my mental health! I'm also a strong believer, and i depend on God to help get me through this also. I also have a good family support and friends. I know i'm very blessed already! They found this cancer through a mammogram. So far no other close family member has breast cancer, but i am having genetic counciling on September 17. Anyone else have that? Good luck to you all! We can do this together!!!!!

DX - 8/9/21 IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+

Sep 4, 2021 07:04PM AnnMarie318 wrote:

This whole thing is scaring me to death! My port goes in a week from Tuesday and my echo will be later that week. It is all too much for me to wrap my head around. I was diagnosed mid-august and have been to the doctors offices so many times. It has my head spinning! Chemo will start the end of September and I really just don’t want to do it. As a teenager, I watched my mom going through breast cancer and chemo in the early 90s and it almost killed her. Later in life she had Alzheimer’s/dementia brought on by the chemo drugs she had. Is surgery ever an option for triple negative? I plan to have a double mastectomy done as soon as I can. I want it gone. I can’t stand the thought of it in me and also the thought of these toxic drugs. I feel like a basket case. My mom passed away a little less than a year ago and I think all of these things together have made me feel like my world is spinning out of control. Top that with the fact that we moved halfway across the country as COVID started, so I don’t have friends or family close by. I just want to be done with it all! Has anyone had their hair NOT fall out? What about horrible reactions to the chemo? I am seriously allergic to so many things that I (and my doctor) are very concerned about how I will tolerate it. Luckily my oncologist was also my hematologist so he knows my history well. Just want to be back to normal though.

Sep 4, 2021 07:39PM MEandJax wrote:

Hi HummingbirdAZ, So sorry you have to go through this. I pray that you come back stronger.

I'm scheduled to start chemo on 9/14/21. Every 3 weeks for 6 sessions, then radiation starts.

I had R+CHOP for non- Hogkins Lymphoma in 2015/2016, (every 2 weeks for 6 months). The common med with breast cancer chemo is Adriamycin (aka Red Devil) so I am getting a different regimen than some.

I've not had a port so am no help there.

One important thing with Chemo for me is kick the nausea ahead of time. It was a rough road but I made it and plan on making it through this too.

I am not sure anyone can really be prepared, just remember after each session that's one less treatment left to go.

ME

Dx 7/2/2021, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-,

Sep 4, 2021 11:11PM Mithz wrote:

hello

I am 48 diagnosed with IDC grade 2 triple positive so would begin with Chemo plus Targeted therapy anytime soon. I am in for second opinion so exact date not in ...also wont put a port cause one am type 2 Diabetic and two get infected quite quickly.

Irony is my tumour just sprang suddenly and I noticed it only cause my left nipple had blood discharge.which now has changed to yellow/green colour

I so don't want to open my eyes to what lies ahead...I hope to get the strength to move on with this cause my tumor has blown to 10cm within 45days...and PET CT shows 2more tiny mushrooming on the aux

Reading through this forum does give strength of not being alone and sharing the same kind of feel.

Thank You and good luck to US

Sep 5, 2021 10:11AM JHam wrote:

Hello-

First time poster. I was diagnosed with DCIS in 2011 at 40. Had lumpectomies (3) for clear margins and radiation. New diagnosis July 2021 of IDC located in my lumpectomy site. High grade, ER/PR+, HER2-, 50% ki67. 2.5 to 3.5cm. One known positive lymph node. I don't have full staging, yet. Treatment will be AC + T, dmx, proton therapy, and Tamoxifen or AI. Rebuild will be DIEP. I started Chemo on Monday, August 30th. So far so good. I have had very little nausea. The worst part was the steroid. I was so jittery and jacked up that I couldn't type or concentrate. Even watching TV was difficult. I had to take some anti-nausea meds yesterday (Zofran), but rode my Peloton, had friends over for dinner, and had a pretty normal day. I did have to take a nap after my workout :) I was extremely worried about nausea, as I was very sick with both my pregnancies. I am so glad this round has not been bad.

I am gearing up for the hair loss, which will likely come the end of this week. I have some wigs ready to go. What is everyone doing about eyebrows and eyelashes?

Good Luck to those who are starting this week!

Dx 12/11 @ age 40 DCIS, L, Gr 2, ER+/PR+ HER2-; Surgery 12/11 (x2), 1/12, Lumps; Radiation 3/12; Dx 6/24/21 IDC, L, 2.6cm, Gr 3, ER+/PR+ HER2-, Ki67 50%; 1 pos lymph node; Chemotherapy 8/30/21 dd AC = T; Surgery Dmx 2/22; Proton Therapy 4/22;

Page 3 of 48 (475 results)

Scroll to top button