We are 155,688 members in 80 forums discussing 123,312 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: Micro Mets

Topic: Micro Mets

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer — Getting on with the rest of your life, from rediscovering intimacy to coping with hot flashes.

Posted on: Jun 25, 2007 01:49PM

GrammyNancy wrote:

During my mastectomy a SNB was preformed and I was told all nodes were negative. When path report was received it showed a micro mets in the SN and all other nodes (6) were clear. Now that I am finishing chemo the question of rads comes up and/or additional AND surgery. I am er+/pr+ and HER2+ and am really ready to get started with Herceptin and AI's as they seem to be most beneficial for me. Has anyone had experience with micro mets and what did you do?

Thanks,
Nancy Log in to post a reply

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jun 25, 2007 05:45PM BlindedByScience wrote:

Hi, Nancy

You might find some help in the editorial at this link:

www.annalssurgicaloncology.org/cgi/content/full/11/6/553
How Many Breast Cancer Cells in a Sentinel Lymph Node are OK?

A micrometastasis is between 0.2 and 2 mm--does that match what your path report says? If it was smaller than 0.2 mm, your onc can call you node-negative or NO(i); if it was larger, you would be designated as N1(mi). The article in the link talks about current guidelines for handling either case.

Jun 25, 2007 06:50PM GrammyNancy wrote:

Thank you BBS, interesting article.

Nancy
Dx 2/5/2007, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jun 25, 2007 08:01PM gramof4 wrote:

I had micromets that was not found until I was done with my original chemo (oversight by oncologist!!!!!) I had 12 weekly Taxol after the micromets was discovered, in addition to my original FEC x 6. The article was very interesting!

Joyce
Dx 8/8/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-