We are 154,850 members in 79 forums discussing 122,603 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer — Getting on with the rest of your life, from rediscovering intimacy to coping with hot flashes.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Page 516 of 730 (21,895 results)

Posts 15451 - 15480 (21,895 total)

Aug 7, 2013 02:01PM SpecialK wrote:

Got my hair cut this morning and the salon is a ways from my house but right next to the Whole Foods - had a coupon for a free rotisserie chicken if you spent $50 - of course that was no problem!  So, tonight is something involving a rotisserie chicken.  I am thinking salad of some kind - 96 degrees and excessively humid!

Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 11/01/2010 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both) Surgery 12/06/2010 Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right) Surgery 12/14/2010 Reconstruction (Both) Surgery 12/21/2010 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 01/07/2011 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 01/21/2011 Reconstruction (Left) Chemotherapy 02/17/2011 carboplatin, Taxotere Targeted Therapy 02/17/2011 Herceptin Surgery 07/20/2011 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Hormonal Therapy 08/01/2011 Femara Surgery 02/24/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both) Hormonal Therapy 06/20/2012 Arimidex Surgery 12/14/2012 Reconstruction (Both) Hormonal Therapy 07/18/2013 Femara Surgery 03/07/2014 Reconstruction (Both) Surgery 04/02/2014 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Left) Surgery 05/09/2014 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 11/13/2014 Reconstruction (Left)

Aug 7, 2013 02:34PM eric95us wrote:

School started today for DD.

Monday, Sharon was already at school and DD decided to make some lunch... I got a call asking about how to 'do' brown rice. I explained that and 45 minutes later she sent me a picture of what she had done.

Brown rice, chicken in the dutch oven, black beans, onions, corn, cheese and salsa.

Her goal was to duplicate the burrito filling as done at a local Mexican restaurant.

It turned out great and best of all, she made enough for all of us.

Eric

husband of slawson

Aug 7, 2013 04:18PM Laurie08 wrote:

Eric- Yay for your DD making a yummy meal for you!  I can dream of the day one of my boys does that for me.

Deb- I am a Candy Crush addict too :D  I am glad you have some trips planned.  I know it must be very difficult for you.  Hugs.

Bedo- I say go for it for the ancestry chart.  I have been tempted to do it as well so if you do try it let us know what you think.  My Memere always told me stories when we were young about different people.  She always "bragged" that she was part Indian and so she tanned great.  I never thought of it much until my second son was born and I swear he looks part Native American!  Using 50 proof SPF he is browner than brown.  We call him Ten Bears in the summer!

So I think I am nuts.  I booked a camping trip for this weekend.  DH has to work so he will get us up to the campground tomorrow evening, help me set up and then leave me with the boys.  (gulp)  Friday for lunch time a friend of mine that we usually camp with will come and join us for the day/night and stay with us in our camper.  They need to leave pretty early Saturday and I will again be on my own until Saturday night.  My neighbor is talking of maybe going to the same campground so maybe I will luck out.  I figured it is better than just sitting around the house feeling like I should clean or do yard work.

The other reason why I am nuts it is hot out and at the request of my children I am making meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner.  I just shut the windows and cranked the a/c so maybe we can enjoy eating a hot dinner.

Michelle and Debbie I am thinking of both of you and hope every day is a little better than yesterday.

Hugs to all of you.

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Aug 7, 2013 04:32PM SeasideMemories wrote:

Happy Anniversary Chabba!

Bedo,

Tomorrow is pickling day here! Going to make some bread and butter, some bread and butter with a couple chili peppers added for some spice and horseradish pickles! Should be interesting!

Deb,

Glad that your pain is lessening and happy that you get to spend time with your DD in beautiful Bermuda!

Tonight's dinner is Spaghetti and Meatballs. The weather here has been so gray and cold and very un-summer like! Not loving this in August at ALL!

For those of you that watch Downton Abbey ( I am almost done with Season 3), someone told me about this hilarious parody called Downton Sixbey. I just watched a couple of the 10 minute or so skits and they are super well done! Had me laughing out loud!

Michelle,

Hope the wedding was great and that you are feeling well! You are in my thoughts!

Dx 5/8/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIa, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 8, 2013 02:39PM debbie6122 wrote:

Checking in to say Hi and see how everyone is!

Has anyone got updates on MIchelle? If your reading this Michelle, your always on my mind and in my heart!

Chabba- Hope you had a nice Anniversary!

Laurie- I was thinking the same thing, meat loaf! And I don't have an AC but only suppose to be around 57 today thinking about doing a stove top stuffing with it. Enjoy your camping trip. How is your MIL?

Deb-I have been thinking about how you are too, a trip with family might help you to find a little comfort. ((hugs))

Bedo- I often think about doing the ancestory.com I have some info on my family, I have a crazy general or something in the family way back, called mad, mad, mad Anthony wayne. I would like to know more so maybe will do it some time.

Carole- I also do the same thing, I copy/paste first because Ive lost my long emails plenty of times.

Seaside- I watched a little DTA at my dads last year and after only a couple episodes I was hooked, problem was it was towards the end, I will have to go rent the series at the video store so I can watch from the beginning. It is usually not my kind of show I would watch but loved it.

Minus- Chuck is doing much better thanks for asking. He can walk with out his cane some of the times so his PT is working and having the tumor removed helped a lot.

From what the Home nurse is saying is my dad probably only has a couple more weeks to a month, She said, don't hold me to it but this was her opinion. He is on high doses of morphine and other pain meds, she said without those his pain would be unbareable, he also has brain mets. She said the family should try gathering this week. Sometimes he seems to know us other times he is confused so needless to say I want to talk to him everyday. We now are making weekly trips there. Last week I just sat by his bed and held his hand that was very comforting to me.

((((Hugs to everyone)))

masectomy, chemo, node positive Dx 12/20/2009, IDC, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 8, 2013 03:07PM susan_02143 wrote:

No word from Michelle here. Should she have returned from the wedding at this point? Deb, so very hard. Hope you can continue to spend time with your dad. Eric, sounds like your daughter has learned a thing or two from you, in spite of herself!

So much hardship, so much pain with this small group. Hard to wrap my head around this sometimes. My best thoughts to everyone who has struggles.

Dinner last night was tostadas. My husband was so proud that he brought home all the ingredients having forgotten totally that it was our 31st anniversary. Whoops. So I spent the afternoon making dinner instead of getting ready for a night out. I made too much and the kids were thrilled to eat the extras when they got home from work.

*susan*

... and its back. May 3, 2010 mets found. Four years hanging with NED on Faslodex * 1/1/2015 progression Dx 6/8/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 8, 2013 04:13PM SeasideMemories wrote:

Susan,

Happy Anniversary! Sorry DH forgot. I swear, men sometimes.... sheesh! Hope he gave you a raincheck for dinner out. He's probably feeling really bad about forgetting so you should be able to finagle a really good dinner out of him...lol! Tostadas sound really good, though!

Debbie,

I am truly sorry that your Dad seems to be nearing the end. I know you are very, very close with him and I can only imagine your pain. It's really rough when you can't be there every day but you do what you can. Even though he is confused I believe he can sense your presence and feel how very much you love him! Wish I could be here to hold your hand... You are in my thoughts and prayers.

As for Downton Abbey, if you have an Amazon Prime membership, you can watch Seasons 1-3 totally free. The other thing you can do if you've never done a free trial of Amazon Prime you can try it free (at least last I knew) for 30-days. Just be sure to go into your settings and uncheck the box where it says automatically renew.

Aug 8, 2013 05:22PM Laurie08 wrote:

Susan- Happy Anniversary!  Sorry your DH forgot but too cute that he was proud of himself with his shopping trip.

Seaside- I watched all 3 seasons of Downton on Comcast on demend.  I goggled the other day and ot looks like we won't get season 4 until January here in the US.

Debbie- I am so sorry about your dad, my heart breaks for you.  This is such a tough time for you after all you have been through with the loss of your sister and Chucks health issues.  Hugs to you and strength my friend.  I am glad PT is helping Chuck.  No one talks about my MIL and what is going on.  My DH won't talk about it, he is very quiet and MY SIL has been working a lot.  Today she stopped by to visit but had her daughter with her, when I inquired she shook her head no.  So I will have to get details another time.  It my understanding she is not seeking any treatment.

Dh should be home soon from work and we will head to the campground.  It is only 45 minutes away which is good.  I am a little nervous to be alone with the boys!  It makes me realize how much I count on DH.  We joke about pink and blue jobs----the grill, he is going to have to show me how to light it.  Blah.  Same with the pilot on the gas stove.  Ohwell, I just have to learn I suppose and then promptly forget upon his return :D

Michelle- I hope the wedding went well and you are feeling well.  We miss you.

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Aug 8, 2013 07:35PM susan_02143 wrote:

Dinner tonight was a "fresh" tomato sauce using some local romas over angel hair pasta served with some spicy Italian sausage. We made that sausage a while back and it is spicy. The texture is a little odd. It was one of my first attempts at sausage. Bagels are "retarding" in the fridge and we will have those for lunch with the salmon I smoked yesterday.

Good luck with the boys Laurie! You will do just fine with the boys.

*susan*

... and its back. May 3, 2010 mets found. Four years hanging with NED on Faslodex * 1/1/2015 progression Dx 6/8/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 8, 2013 08:56PM , edited Aug 8, 2013 09:03PM by bedo

Debbie, my heart goes out to you.  You are a wonderful daughter.  I know in the end your Dad wants you to be at peace too.

Happy Anniversary Susan!

Lauri, my second husband was a former Eagle Scout.  I wouldn't go near that thing.  I would back up about 50 yards and stand behind a tree when he lit it. Same thing with "the mobile home that couldn't move" It was from the 70's.  When he would hook up all the things the only thing I could think of was a big cartoon "KaBOOM" bubble.

For dinner, I'm taking a regular frozen pizza and putting my garden basil and tomatoes on it with some store bought mozzarella slices

Good Lord, Susan you need your own cooking show! I am so impressed that you know how to smoke salmon

Aug 8, 2013 09:08PM SeasideMemories wrote:

Laurie,

I believe you are right and Season 4 Episode 1 will air January 5, 2014... Geez I was hoping for something in the fall and truthfully that's why I was trying to get caught up so quickly... I only allow myself to watch while I'm on the treadmilll as it serves as motivation and reward..lol! May have to contact PBS and let them know they are totally derailing my attempt at exercise and weight loss.. lol! I have 3 more episodes and then I'm caught up!

I agree with Debbie where I never would have thought this to be something that I would like but it totally has drawn me in! I look forward to the next season!

Aug 8, 2013 09:15PM carberry wrote:

Deb  So sorry your Dad is at this point...He probably enjoys you being there as much as you do. Prayers that he is peaceful.

So to complete my week of bad "karma"  We found out that our dog ( white lab) had a tumor surrounding her esophagus and squeezing it shut.  She has not been able to eat or drink for about three days and the vet said we needed to put her down to end her suffering. We had no clue until she started being a little lethargic and making a hacking noise as if trying to clear her throat. Had her put down on Tues.

As far as my dad.. they are testing his tumor further and if it has certain charcteristics he will start on an oral med to shrink and stop the growth of the tumor.  Report to follow

Had taco salads last night and tonight was a peice of cake at work from a co-workers birthday party

Susan  I think you should go on one of those cooking challenge shows with Gordon Ramsey....you could probably show him a thing or two.

Laurie Have a blast camping...you will be fine!  My Dh and I have pink and blue jobs also, but reversed,  I do all the yard work and repairs and grilling...he does laundry and dishes.

Carrie Dx 10/25/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 8, 2013 10:52PM , edited Aug 8, 2013 11:11PM by SeasideMemories

Aaaaahhh Crap Carrie! I am so sorry to hear the bad news about your dog! It is never easy to make that decision! We went through that the year following my treatment year.

My dog went through major leg surgery due to a blown knee the year before I was diagnosed and I was with her every step of the way... from doing physical therapy exercises to making special foods to hide her pain meds in... She recovered and then I was diagnosed. I remember her laying next to me as I layed on the couch exhausted from rads and after that crying due to nicotene withdrawals when I quit smoking .... she was with me every step of my journey.

Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with an osteosarcoma during the summer after my treatment ended and we had to have her put down... It still breaks my heart to think about it but I try to console myself with the fact that she had a really good life and I am blessed to have had her in my life when I truly needed it!
Edited to add, that I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way for your dad!
Anyway.... enough of the sad thoughts and on to Dinner!

Aug 8, 2013 11:26PM Laurie08 wrote:

Carrie - I am so sorry about your dog. They are family and mean soooo much. Our old dog passed 8 years,ago I still miss her and talk about her. I hope you get good news on your dad.
Seaside- I was laughing at your work out routine and the show. I wonder if you can get it smuggled over from out of the states?
Things are going well. Boys went to sleep late and ds2 had a melt down. But I've been reading and lounging for awhile now. I think dh was nervous to leave us. At least I have a good book, not tired at all. Thinking about breakfast :-)

Aug 9, 2013 12:31AM Moonflwr912 wrote:

Deb, Debbie, Michelle, Carrie, prayers for all of you. So much going on.
Laurie, I am with you on Pink and blue jobs, but I can't push the lawnower anymore, I used to, also the snowblower. I just can't do it anymore. At least not all the time. Thank God for good neighbors.
Dinner wad out at a new modern Italian place. Yum. I had a chicken bruschetta pasta, topped with balsamic reduction. Bread was a loaf of a great bread with olive oil and parm. We started by sharing a small salad of arugula, pecans, raisens,and fried goat balls. They split the small salad for us on two dishes each with a piece of the fried cheese. The small salad was the size of a luncheon plate for both of us! If we had split a large, we couldn't have eaten the entree! LOL my DD ordered the shrimp and asparagus pasta, with dried cherries and a light sauce. It was really good food, and in a very small town in the middle of nowhere! I hope they make it, They've been open less than a year, but they were full on a Thursday night, so, probably! BTW, the bill was just over $40.00.

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/08/2011 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both) Surgery 01/17/2012 Reconstruction (Left) Chemotherapy 02/16/2012 carboplatin, Taxotere Targeted Therapy 02/16/2012 Herceptin Surgery 08/13/2012 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Hormonal Therapy 08/20/2012 Arimidex Surgery 09/10/2012 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 08/14/2013 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Surgery 09/04/2013 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Aug 9, 2013 12:37AM Lacey12 wrote:

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry to learn about the loss of your pooch. Yes, as Laurie said, they are important members of our families! Heartfelt condolences .....and sending caring thoughts for your dad. Deb, holding you in my thoughts as you face yet another painful time.

Seaside, thanks for giving us the heads up on the return of DA.

I agree with you gals suggesting that Susan needs to either start a cooking show or enter a serious cooking challenge. Susan, you are sooo accomplished in all things culinary! Loved the sound of your dinner tonight!

This is the first year I have not planted ANY tomatoes (thanks to my new....Tamox induced....very involved environmental allergies, keeping me out of the backyard until a month ago), so I need to hit the farmers' market to get some nice juicy tomatoes to make fresh tomato sauce. It feels weird to have August here and nothing but two basil plants for home grown produce! I would have had some nice kale in pots, too if Mr. Woodchuck were not so voracious!

Went blueberry picking this morning....a bit early many were not ripe....but we managed to get two pints. Need to go back in a week or so. On the way home from the blueberry field we trekked (drove) up a remote road and got some fresh eggs (met all the chickens and roosters, too) and home cured bacon and pork chops. Didn't check out the pigs....

So tonight we headed over to Meredith to see a play, figuring we'd hit Gieuseppe's for pizza beforehand. Not so fast! They had an hour and a half wait!! So we ate somewhere else (unremarkable pizza and salad) and will try Giuseppe's with a reservation next week.

Laurie, we have many of the pink/blue tasks division too....and I have never started the grill. It is probably one of those things that I could easily do myself....but I do fear explosions, which keeps me away from the task. However, I am the car driver most of the time due to my impatience on the road and my contention that DH is not as "efficient" a driver as I am. I think he just lets me drive to avoid listening to my "efficiency suggestions". ;) And I am happier then, too. Love that road control! :) I should probably do road rallies.
Have lots of fun with the boys, Laurie. It's great for them to see you doing solo care in the woods!! Enjoy breakfast and fill us in.

Aug 9, 2013 09:11AM SeasideMemories wrote:

OMG Moon!

I am laughing so hard right now! I read where you wrote "We started by sharing a small salad of arugula, pecans, raisens,and fried goat balls." and stopped there and reread it a couple times to make sure I got it right... It wasn't until I went on to the next sentence that I discovered that it was CHEESE you were refering to!! LOL! That'll teach me to read before coffee! Still chuckling....

Aug 9, 2013 09:22AM auntienance wrote:

I was chuckling at the goat balls too and hoping luvmyvoats wasn't reading this lol!

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 06/22/2011 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left) Radiation Therapy 07/25/2011 Internal Chemotherapy 10/03/2011 Cytoxan, Taxotere Hormonal Therapy 01/11/2012 Femara

Aug 9, 2013 09:24AM luvmygoats wrote:

Oh but she was and thought the same thing. Imagine somewhere they might be a delicacy like smaller mountain oysters.

SNB & Lumpectomy 2/21/12. Opted for no Oncotype due to very favorable pathology. 90% ER+. Rads finished 5/23/12. 28 + 5 boosts Dx 2/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 02/21/2012 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left) Radiation Therapy 04/09/2012 External Hormonal Therapy 06/08/2012 Femara

Aug 9, 2013 10:07AM gardengumby wrote:

hahahahaha - same sentence stopped me in my tracks.  I was wondering why you'd want that in a salad!!  :)

BRCA1 & 2 negative - 3 family members. Oncotype 14. DCIS 7.5 cm, intermediate Dx 10/28/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/28/2012, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/20/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Hormonal Therapy 02/15/2011 Tamoxifen Surgery 08/17/2011 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left) Hormonal Therapy 11/01/2011 Femara

Aug 9, 2013 11:16AM SeasideMemories wrote:

Nancy,

Was just seeing on the weather channel that you are getting some pretty severe flooding! Hope you are safe where you are!

Same goes for the New Englanders. Looks like some pretty significant rain expected! Stay safe!

Aug 9, 2013 12:17PM SpecialK wrote:

Dangit - just lost my post...

deb - so sorry to hear that your dad has so little time left.  We played my mom's favorite music for her - I know she could hear it and us when we talked to her because she had the appropriate facial expressions even though her eyes were closed.

carberry - so sorry about your doggie - I have been through that too, and it is so hard to let them go.  So heartbreaking when you are dealing with other difficult things simultaneously.

I agree - Susan needs her own cooking show - I would be a loyal follower!

Dinner last night was a hot dog at the Buccaneers game in the rain.  My DH lost his cell phone (Gov't issued - work phone!) before the game started.  DD called him at some point - a lady answered, so she got her contact info, and she said come pick it up.  The game was not over until about 11pm and he does the stadium pirate flags so we stay until the game ends, the lady went home when it started raining - so we are running around finding her house and didn't get home until after midnight!  Thank goodness she was an honest person with integrity or he would have had to file an investigative report this morning with his command since there are non-classified, but militarily sensitive, emails on the phone - although password protected.  Also discovered that when we switched cars to take DD to get her tonsils out a couple of weeks ago (my car is a two-seat sports car) he crushed my portable Garmin navigation system moving the seat back.  We were going to use it to find the phone lady's house - NOT! He left this morning at 6am for S. Carolina - his 82 year-old mom just had surgery to put a new part in her faulty knee replacement, and his 88 year-old dad is having a spinal pain med injection this afternoon.  His sisters have covered the situation but the one there now has to go back to work on Mon., so he went up.  He is supposed to be in Miami next Friday to help an old friend with residual issues from throat and prostate cancer rads issues, so I won't be seeing him until next weekend.  Sheesh!

Thinking of all of you every day.

Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 11/01/2010 Mastectomy (Both); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both) Surgery 12/06/2010 Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Right) Surgery 12/14/2010 Reconstruction (Both) Surgery 12/21/2010 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 01/07/2011 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 01/21/2011 Reconstruction (Left) Chemotherapy 02/17/2011 carboplatin, Taxotere Targeted Therapy 02/17/2011 Herceptin Surgery 07/20/2011 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Hormonal Therapy 08/01/2011 Femara Surgery 02/24/2012 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both) Hormonal Therapy 06/20/2012 Arimidex Surgery 12/14/2012 Reconstruction (Both) Hormonal Therapy 07/18/2013 Femara Surgery 03/07/2014 Reconstruction (Both) Surgery 04/02/2014 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Left) Surgery 05/09/2014 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 11/13/2014 Reconstruction (Left)

Aug 9, 2013 01:11PM auntienance wrote:

Wow, there's a lot going on here!  

Debbie, I am so so sorry about your dad.  My dad will be 87 this month and I can't help but feel like we/re on borrowed time, although he's doing pretty well right now all things considered. I'm glad you can spend some time with yours and I know he is too.

Deb, it's good to know that things are better for you.  Hope every day gets a little easier.

Carrie, I'm so sorry for your loss too. Pets leave such a big hole in your heart.  Our dogs died 3 years ago and I still can't bring myself to bury their ashes. They are both in a wooden box that DH made for their toys. I think about them every day.

Seaside, thanks for thinking of me.  We're not anywhere near the immediate flooding (thankfully).  In fact, although the forecast called for it, we haven't even had much rain the past few days.

I definitely want to be in the audience (one of the select few who gets to taste the stuff) for Susan's cooking show, but what I really would like is to be a fly on her kitchen wall!

Here's a bright spot, my mamm yesterday was all clear.  Hip hip hooray!!  Next scanxiety is blood work and meeting with the new mo next week.

Boy, the tomato crop is really rolling in now, forcing me into action. But I have to decide what action.  Roasting is definitely in order and I probably should do it while temps are on the cooler side. There's always sauce, of course. Oh well, I'll think about that tomorrow.  The cucumbers are well behaved and produce only two a day for picking.  That's easily managed since they're not pickling cukes.  I eat one by myself daily.  The zucchini, not so much. It's time to start looking for unlocked cars on parking lots.  We picked a mountain of beans green beans, many of them bigger than I like. They'll probably end up as a good ole southern style cooked to death in in some kind of pork fat dish with some ham and cornbread. Awesome.

Tonight is grilled pork steaks, caprese salad and the last of the sweet corn. I scored a good deal on some baby back ribs at Costco yesterday so I'll get a chance to try the pressure cooker method again when my house guests are here.

I know I missed someone. I love reading about all the meals you all have prepared (yours too Bedo lol). I have a question for you Carol, how do you decide which of your cookbooks in your vast collection to take in your motorhome?  I know you don't have room for all of them Smile

To anybody I missed (((hugs)))

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 06/22/2011 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection (Left) Radiation Therapy 07/25/2011 Internal Chemotherapy 10/03/2011 Cytoxan, Taxotere Hormonal Therapy 01/11/2012 Femara

Aug 9, 2013 01:13PM auntienance wrote:

Almost forgot, a little worried about Michelle Frown

Aug 9, 2013 02:50PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

LOL on the goat balls guys.  I reread what I wrote and I see where you got that!  LOL Yes GOAT CHEESE, not small mountain oysters!  Besides, I live in Wisconsin- its Cheese all the time!  LOL

Auntie Nance, glad your not flooded and Hooray for the clear Mammo! 

SpecialK, so glad your DH got his phone back.  that was some excitement!  LOl  My sister is also recovering from knee surgery to correct a bad replacement.  Hmm, sounds fishy

So many many issues with all of us now, so still praying.  Please add my brother Mel, to your lists.  He just had a pacemaker placed to go with the valve he had replaced a year ago.  He lives in Catedral City.  He just got out of intensive care this morning. Thanks  

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage Ia, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/08/2011 Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Both) Surgery 01/17/2012 Reconstruction (Left) Chemotherapy 02/16/2012 carboplatin, Taxotere Targeted Therapy 02/16/2012 Herceptin Surgery 08/13/2012 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Hormonal Therapy 08/20/2012 Arimidex Surgery 09/10/2012 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 08/14/2013 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Surgery 09/04/2013 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction: Breast implants (permanent) (Both)

Aug 9, 2013 02:58PM gardengumby wrote:

Thinking good thoughts for your brother, Moonflower

BRCA1 & 2 negative - 3 family members. Oncotype 14. DCIS 7.5 cm, intermediate Dx 10/28/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 2/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/28/2012, DCIS, 6cm+, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/20/2010 Mastectomy (Left); Lymph Node Removal: Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Left) Hormonal Therapy 02/15/2011 Tamoxifen Surgery 08/17/2011 Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Left) Hormonal Therapy 11/01/2011 Femara

Aug 9, 2013 03:23PM SpecialK wrote:

moon - wishing for the best for your bro!  My MIL's replacement is a DePuy, which is currently being sued for some of their devices, but her lot number is not among the ones in the current class action.  Of course, if they get enough complaints they will add more lot numbers.  Her replacement was only done a few years ago, and she has been having issues for about a year with it.  A piece of the part had broken off and was causing trouble.  She had an overnight stay and this surgery was done with sedation and a spinal, so not too bad, but she is 82!  We too are glad about the phone, although getting it back was a wacky series of events!  I was not sure what we were going to do - I guess he would have had to get a pay-as-you-go phone to take with him, since being on the road without a phone is not a great idea!  He was lucky!

Aug 9, 2013 05:29PM carberry wrote:

I guess we are all in that age bracket where our parents are starting to deteriorate and we are seeing things happen to other aging family members or friends.  So not ready or prepared for this to happen.

I was thinking that I need to check out the pickling cukes and get going on some pickles.  Not sure where I will carve out some time to do this...but sure love the dill pickles.

I counted today and came up with 7 roadside stands or farmers markets all on my path to and from work.  No shortage of finding some great homegrown produce. Lots of Amish countryside.

I feel like chicken piccatta or chicken french...hmmmm gotta go call my hubby and make a date.

Carrie Dx 10/25/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Aug 9, 2013 05:30PM carolehalston wrote:

Thank you, Moonflwr, for a good laugh!  Doesn't it feel good to laugh? 

Nance, I'm estranged from my cookbooks during the summer!  I bring a large notebook with print-outs of recipes and this year I brought the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook for the slow cooker.  I read through it and get some ideas.

Last summer I went to a 2nd hand store and found some cookbooks to read.  A couple of times lately I've watched a cook called Julie Taboulie on a pbs channel.  She cooks Lebanese food.  On the last show she made a couple of popular Arabic dessert foods that were completely different from anything I've ever eaten.  Given the opportunity, I would sample both. 

I, too, would watch Susan's cooking show.  I'm amazed that someone makes their own Italian sausage and smokes their own salmon, etc. etc.

Tomorrow morning is Farmers' Mkts. in Park Rapids.  I want to go early in hopes of finding tomatoes.  They should finally be coming in up here in MN.

Today we went to Logging Days and watched chain-saw scultors at work.  Tomorrow their benches and statues will be auctioned off.  Last year we were hoping to buy a bench with a carved horse design but it went for a high price, like everything else.  Eagles and bears are popular subject matter.  The artists use various kinds of saws and sanders and a variety of decoration techniques, too.  It's much more sophisticated than just picking up a chainsaw! 

Thinking of everyone dealing with health challenges.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 9, 2013 05:30PM bedo wrote:

For dinner, more left over pizza and refridgerator pickles. Tomorrow I'm making Laurie's orzo salad again, it's become a staple.

For dessert candy.  Candy Crush Saga.  And for late night snack too.  Thank you sooooo much Deb for getting me started on that!  I needed another excuse not to be productive, lol!  I'm really bad at it, never having read the rules.

Page 516 of 730 (21,895 results)