Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 06:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 06:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 875 (8,744 results)

Jan 18, 2008 06:41PM flash wrote:

agnostic which isn't quite the same, but have run across others who are atheist. bc is equal opportunity terrorist. hope all works well for you.

multifocal multicentric IDC, DCIS, pagets et al. - er+,pr+ her2+++, mast,chemo, ooph, hyst Dx 10/10/2007, Paget's, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jan 18, 2008 10:13PM guitarGrl wrote:

I think that science, not faith will cure me. Yes, it is hard to be a non-believer when so many do believe.

But I've felt just as strange because I had a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy, when it looks like such a large portion of the women here went for the more drastic surgery.

Dx 11/29/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 18, 2008 10:44PM carolsd wrote:

I don't consider myself a "person of deep faith" so I can identify. It's not to say I've closed my mind to the idea; it's rather that I prefer to think that faith and spirituality come from within. It's rather difficult when you read a lot of posts that reference prayer and the will of God. I have nothing against that; it's just something I cannot relate to. I wish you the best of luck.

Dx 9/22/2004, IDC, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2008 12:16AM Hattie wrote:

I'm not sure about the faith thing. I think bc is just random, as is so much else of life. I think I'm going to live as well as I can for as long as I can. My little daughter has always said, "I'm not worried about after I die--I got that figured out--but how come no one talks about where I was before I was born?" Mysteries that I'll just let be.

Take care.
--Hattie

life is good

Jan 19, 2008 12:17AM Hattie wrote:

Oh year--massive untidy lumpectomy here, and no recon.

--Hattie

life is good

Jan 19, 2008 08:37AM paige-allyson wrote:

Faith and belief in an intervening god are not part of my worldview. I don't know what we are, why we are here, etc. For me this is part of the mystery of life. I don't think that faith or belief of the traditional sort would be of help to me in dealing with the bc diagnosis. I have faith and draw strength and comfort from life- nature, people, animals, etc. that are right in front of me. I don't feel a need to "know" what happens after we die or to create a story about that. This is an interesting question you've posted. Are you looking to connect with people who will not suggest you rely on religion to get though this experience or did something else prompt the question? Allyson

Dx 5/18/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2008 09:06AM trigeek wrote:

Dudess,

I do not belong to any structured religion however am a spiritual person. From what I am hearing being in a structured religious environment does provide a lot of support while one is going through all the motions of bc especially if you do not have your own strong personal support network.

And my hats off to those who can be at peace at whats happening with us using any medium, cause I can not be at peace. A most personal war from within our bodies have been declared against ourselves !!! Peace... dunno.. acceptance,adaptation, moving on with life  maybe.

Bilateral MX with Recon, DD AC/Taxol Rads,Tamoxifen, oopherectomy, femara, zometa "Live Deliberately !"www.aylin-yeahright.blogspot.com/ Surgery 9/1/2007 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 10/7/2007 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 1/4/2008 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 6/11/2008 Whole breast: Breast

Jan 19, 2008 09:22AM TerryNY wrote:

Dudess, I am agnostic but don't rely on a religious presence in my life to cope with bc.   I feel as Trigeek does, I'm a very spiritual person inside and strongly believe it comes from within.  

For those who said prayers for me while undergoing treatments, I welcomed them because I think it made them feel better.   But it also made me feel uncomfortable...how am I supposed to respond when someone says "I'm praying for you".   My standard response was a simple 'thank you'.  And these are people who know my religion stance.  

A very interesting topic.   

Terry Dx 2/13/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2008 09:37AM paige-allyson wrote:

Just an addendum- I actually have been engaged in Buddhist practice for much of my adult life- Zen and more recently Insight Meditation- however Buddhism (in these forms anyhow) is not a faith based or theistic religion. This could be hard for some people to get their minds around, but that's how it is. The teachings and my practice have been a major stabilizing force in helping me deal with this bc diagnosis. With all the extra time during my treatment I discovered some great podcasts of insight meditation talks- very down to earth, practical, psychological- that have been a huge source of enjoyment and help to me. Allyson

Dx 5/18/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 19, 2008 10:06AM thedudess wrote:

Wow

At least I am not so alone, and yes I would love to connect with someone who feels and thinks similair to myself, that would be great.  I appreciate everyone that has replied I know it can be a funny subject for some.  My parents are coming over today first time I have seen them sence I found out, it is gonna be awful my mother is gonna make me bawl, oh well once I see them it will be done and over with.  Why is it so hard to see the ones you love hurt?  I should be worried about meYell

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 875 (8,744 results)

Scroll to top button