Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 04:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 04:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 284 of 897 (8,968 results)

Mar 2, 2011 06:09PM - edited Mar 2, 2011 06:14PM by bluedahlia

I'm so sorry you and your wife are going through this.  In times of trouble I find myself praying to Mary without my realizing it.  It is implanted.

Edited to add"  We don't live far from each other.

But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? - Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Mar 2, 2011 06:17PM luv_gardening wrote:

Hi Leprechaun, I didn't know you were on this thread.

There is an area of the brain that ties in with religious or spiritual leanings.  It gets bigger as we age and especially in women.  That's all I remember from something I read.  So yes, it's hard wired into the brain. 

Those who have dropped their ego to obtain nirvana / enlightenment / awakening etc, say they are left with the knowledge that we are all one / love / universe / god etc and they say everyone knows that but all the mind clutter hides it.  They seem to drop any religious affiliations and only use the religious books to single out those statements and stories that support their own experience.  It's interesting that Buddhists don't believe in a god and Hindus believe in many gods and even that everyone is a god.  No one overruling god as far as I know.

Einstein was also Jewish in name only and his quotes are full of spiritual statements. 

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2011 06:40PM konakat wrote:

I think it is a cultural implant, not genetic.  In times of hopelessness or extreme distress we may be subconsciously spurred to appeal to this all-powerful entity that has been implanted in our minds since childhood.

Elizabeth's Mantra: When in doubt, eat cake. When you haven't a clue, add ice cream. Elizabeth's Mets: Liver, bones, brain (yuck), and lungs (more yuck). Dx 5/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 2, 2011 07:20PM ananda8 wrote:

I have been an atheist for a long time although I was raised Catholic and attended parochial schools.  When I was diagnosed, I had no urge to pray or think of heaven.  I meditated and wished metta to my tumor.  (Metta, the Buddhist word for loving kindness).  Although I do not want to die, I am not afraid of death. 

Taoism and Confucianism are two more "religions", besides Buddhism, that do not have supreme beings, creator gods, or redeemers.

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Mar 2, 2011 07:24PM luv_gardening wrote:

There's certainly plenty of conditioning to believe in a god.  I'd be interested so know if there is any society anywhere that has grown up without any god concept.  My son talks about a "god of gaps".  We turn to a god or superstition to explain the unexplainable gaps in our knowledge.  So at one time it was god that made the moon and sun move across the sky, and with increasing scientific knowledge,  god's powers are diminishing.  

In a way medicine is similar, historically they came up with weird things like "ether" as a cause for the black death and used lots of superstitious treatments.  More recently, anything unexplainable was put down to stress. I'm sure stress plays some part in all illness, not just a select few. These days their god is double blind placebo controlled research and many may be dying because the cost of researching anything is prohibitive and they would rather see someone dying than using serious unconventional or alternative therapies. See the DCA thread on the alt forum for a good example. I believe that anyone who has exhausted conventional treatments and is dying should be able to try alternatives, but better still they could be registered and monitored so that useless treatments would be exposed and promising treatments could then be investigated further.

I must go out now, it's gone 1pm in south east Australia. 

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2011 08:32PM del15 wrote:

Elizabeth, speaking of childhood... I spent my entire childhood in the Soviet Union. There was hardly more atheistic place on the planet at those times. My parents are both atheists, so I don't think this is something from childhood.

However. I do feel very strong attachment to the Jew in me. And Jewish consciousness cannot be separated from the religious background. It's hard to explain and English is by far not my native language, but here I tried... :)

Mar 2, 2011 08:46PM imbell wrote:

It is possible to be spiritual without being religious. To believe is to trust and sorry I just don't but to say I am not spiritual would be incorrect also.

Dx 9/10/2009, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2011 09:19PM konakat wrote:

I think I know what you mean Yan.  Being Jewish is part of your identity even though you're atheist.  I never made it past sunday school.  Mom said wait a minute, this doesn't make sense.  I can't ever remember being religious as a child.  I thought sunday school was just crafts and story time and we got a cookie at the end.  It was an arrowroot cookie.  Strange what we remember.

Elizabeth's Mantra: When in doubt, eat cake. When you haven't a clue, add ice cream. Elizabeth's Mets: Liver, bones, brain (yuck), and lungs (more yuck). Dx 5/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Mar 2, 2011 09:36PM apple wrote:

arrowroot cookies are good.  I still buy them occasionally.  .... also teething biscuits.

peace and love, apple - ..... Mary Magdalen Dx 4/10/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+, HER2+

Mar 2, 2011 09:43PM ananda8 wrote:

It takes trust to plant a garden; trust that the hard work will pay off in a harvest.  I enjoy the feeling of being part of the soil, the planet, the solar system and the universe, but I don't consider these things to be greater than myself.  They are just part of me and gardening helps me appreciate my belonging to all of existence. 

Some would consider these thoughts to be spiritual.  I prefer the word philosophical since I see really don't believe in spirits.  Wink

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Page 284 of 897 (8,968 results)

Scroll to top button