Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 03:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 03:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 285 of 884 (8,835 results)

Mar 2, 2011 08:51PM - edited Mar 2, 2011 08:52PM by 3jaysmom

This Post was deleted by 3jaysmom.
3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2011 08:53PM 3jaysmom wrote:

hi everyone, i love coming to this thread where i have many friends. i don't post often, but love the sharing of ideas.. 3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2011 05:40AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 03:03PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Mar 3, 2011 07:21AM socallisa wrote:

For Caerus

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Mar 3, 2011 09:31AM River_Rat wrote:

Well that might be for Caerus but I'm going to sit here and enjoy it for a moment too!  Hi Lisa, love your pics.

Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols

Mar 3, 2011 12:13PM - edited Mar 3, 2011 12:19PM by maya2

I'm enjoying it too. Aaaaahhh.

I've told this story before, but we have some new people here. There are tribal people (primitive to us) who live on the Marshall Islands. After the 2004 tsunami, a Westerner who they trust and who speaks their language visited their island. (They hate airplanes flying overhead and will shake their spears at them.) He found everyone had survived. He asked what they believe. It is their belief their world is held up by a giant tree. In the root system there are good and bad spirits. When the bad spirits get the upper hand, their world shakes, the sea pulls back and the big wave comes. They know to run for higher ground. When they return the boundaries of their island have been changed.

When I heard this, it really hit me, how we look for beliefs that "fit" our way of thinking and how our world works.

I do believe we can be spiritual without being religious. Just sitting in a park surrounded by trees and nature, helped me get through my treatment. Nature, and the company of animals,continues to be where I seek comfort.

As notself remarked, it takes trust to plant a garden. We are assuming that we will have enough water, compost and sunshine to grow the seeds and seedlings we entrust to the soil. When we befriend an abandoned animal, we can watch this creature come to trust us with every kindness we extend it. I feel this is a spiritual connection--one we can enjoy right here on Earth.

Mar 3, 2011 05:07PM lassie11 wrote:

I should point out that Maya and I have discussed the link I put on (and took off and she put back on). We are good. Tapestry is a CBC radio show that does not take any religious viewpoint- just explores various issues.

From each according to ability; to each according to need.

Mar 3, 2011 06:59PM socallisa wrote:

some religions also have cultural systems embedded in them that are not actually

part of the religion..so one must separate the two to understand them..

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Mar 4, 2011 08:26AM chumfry wrote:

Oh Lisa, your photo is so peaceful. I did some paced breathing exercises while looking at it. The petals even form something of a path like a labyrinth heading inward. How beautiful!

--CindyMN

Dx 8/31/2005, medullary, 4.5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/2/2005, IDC: Medullary, Left, 2cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Mar 5, 2011 01:19PM flannelette wrote:

Hello all - I haven't looked here in a bit - very busy week, but see there is lots to read and that gorgeous rose to take in. I just started reading a book, and there was a passage so lovley, I had to jump up & post it here:(shortened a bit)

In the early 20th century, Roald Amundsen, the Arctic explorer, had to pass a winter among the Inuit. He shared a dwelling with the tribe's shaman. After months of watching the many sleights of hand and minor tricks the shaman used to hold the attention of the tribe with his magic powers, Amundsen could no longer restrain himself. He decided to confront the shaman and ask him: Didn't it bother him that all his "magic powers" were nothing but cheap parlour games? the shaman smiled. He replied, "My magic power is not in my tricks. My real power is that I have gone out on the ice and lived there alone for many months until I could finally hear the voice of the Universe. And the voice of the Universe is that of a mother calling after her beloved children. That is my real magic."

Metta to all,

Arlene

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 9/30/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/9/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/19/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes

Page 285 of 884 (8,835 results)

Scroll to top button