Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 03:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 03:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 286 of 876 (8,751 results)

Mar 5, 2011 01:25PM - edited Aug 10, 2012 03:03PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Mar 5, 2011 01:53PM maya2 wrote:

Caerus: If you find you want more control, try Gouache paints. They also work with water, but are thicker and can easily be controlled. BUT, many artists enjoy the washing and layering you can do with watercolours. Each can be blended into lovely images. I'm glad you're expressing yourself through art.

Mar 5, 2011 09:33PM 3jaysmom wrote:

Arlene: thats' a wonderful story.. somehow reminded me of the wizard in the wizard of oz.. which, of course, is MY fav. charecter" pay no attention to the men behind the curtain!! there are So many lessons to learn from that story!!!     metta,, 3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 5, 2011 09:42PM ChrissyMH wrote:

Gosh, Lisa, am I glad I stumbled into this section.  That bloom photo just flooded my night with peace and calm.  Thank you.

ChrissyMH: Diagnosis: 12Oct10, IDC 1.3cm Stage 1/Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER-, PR(10-15%), HER2-

Mar 5, 2011 09:45PM ananda8 wrote:

The most important lesson of the story is what the shaman learned alone on the ice in the snow.

Cancer was my time alone on the ice and snow.  There is only metta.

'This is to be done by one skilled in aims who wants to break through to the state of peace:

Be capable, upright, & straightforward, easy to instruct, gentle, & not conceited, content & easy to support, with few duties, living lightly, with peaceful faculties, masterful, modest, & no greed for supporters.

Do not do the slightest thing that the wise would later censure. Think: Happy, at rest, may all beings be happy at heart.

Whatever beings there may be, weak or strong, without exception, long, large, middling, short, subtle, blatant, seen & unseen, near & far, born & seeking birth: May all beings be happy at heart.

Let no one deceive another or despise anyone anywhere, or through anger or resistance wish for another to suffer.

As a mother would risk her life to protect her child, her only child, even so should one cultivate a limitless heart with regard to all beings.

With good will for the entire cosmos, cultivate a limitless heart: Above, below, & all around, unobstructed, without hostility or hate.

Whether standing, walking, sitting, or lying down, as long as one is alert, one should be resolved on this mindfulness. This is called a sublime abiding here & now."

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Mar 5, 2011 09:49PM 3jaysmom wrote:

notself: thank you for posting that. i have learned so much from you, most of all Metta. i have followed several of the links you've left me on the buddhist thread. i so feel peace when i comtemplate your teachings. i still struggle with an angry, violent nature that i always have to work at forgiving, before attempting anything further...       Metta,    3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/20/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 6, 2011 05:14AM flannelette wrote:

Notself - (Anatta) Do you mind if I call you Anatta here?Smile You are so right. There is only Metta. thanks for posting that. me, on dial-up, I just don't follow up links. Such a peaceful start to the day. you must be a night-owl!

But, aren't there 3 other sublime abidings? ...metta (loving kindness) , equanimity? joy for others' good fortune and.....? I've forgotten. Pema Chodron is giving a workshop on them at some venue in New York State this spring, I believe. I would so love to go...

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/29/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 9/30/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/9/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/14/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 7/19/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes

Mar 6, 2011 08:29AM molly52 wrote:

Caerus, I've been using the watercolour pencils for about a year now, and love them.  They also have watercolour crayons which are good for big areas.  Sometimes, I start with a wash or two of watercolour, and then move on to the pencils and crayons.  What fun.  The pleasure for me is in the doing, and sometimes, in the story that comes out.  Often, more accurately tells me how I am feeling.

Maya2 - I haven't tried gouache yet.  It seems like a fun medium.  I did try acrylics, but the off-gas when drying was too much for me.

Mar 6, 2011 09:49AM ananda8 wrote:

3jaysmom,

It is important to spend time every day wishing metta to yourself before you go on to wishing it to others. 

flanelette,

Here is a link to the Sublime Abidings and how they work together.  It is an essay by an American monk named Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/headandheart.html

Of these four emotions, goodwill (metta) is the most fundamental. It's the wish for true happiness, a wish you can direct to yourself or to others. Goodwill was the underlying motivation that led the Buddha to search for awakening and to teach the path to awakening to others after he had found it.

The next two emotions in the list are essentially applications of goodwill. Compassion (karuna) is what goodwill feels when it encounters suffering: It wants the suffering to stop. Empathetic joy (mudita) is what goodwill feels when it encounters happiness: It wants the happiness to continue. Equanimity (upekkha) is a different emotion, in that it acts as an aid to and a check on the other three. When you encounter suffering that you can't stop no matter how hard you try, you need equanimity to avoid creating additional suffering and to channel your energies to areas where you can be of help. In this way, equanimity isn't cold hearted or indifferent. It simply makes your goodwill more focused and effective.....

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Mar 6, 2011 11:20AM - edited Aug 10, 2012 03:03PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Page 286 of 876 (8,751 results)

Scroll to top button