Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 06:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 06:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 289 of 875 (8,744 results)

Mar 13, 2011 11:52PM - edited Mar 13, 2011 11:53PM by ananda8

3jaysmom,

I don't know if I ever posted the short phrases that I use.  If I have, forgive the repetition. 

To all, one does not have to be a Buddhist to get benefit from this type of meditation.  The first part is to meditate on oneself, then ones family, friends, acquaintances and finally meditate on people who upset you.  Just change the "I" to a name.

May I be well and happy*

May I be safe and free from harm**

May I be free from anger and ill will***

May I be at peace****

May my heart be filled with loving kindness.*****

-------------------------------------------------

*this refers to being mentally well and happy regardless of the ups and down of life. 

**this refers to being safe from wrong action and causing harm to myself or others,

***this refers to the anger and ill will that can enter my mind and my actions due to a lack of compassion.

****this refers to having equanimity.

*****this refers to having a mental attitude of metta (loving kindness) towards myself and all living beings.

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Mar 13, 2011 11:52PM luv_gardening wrote:

3jays, if you've got that it's your reaction, not the others, then you're half way there.  My philosophy is to look at my reaction in the past and attempt to love that too.  If I can recognise in the moment I'm reacting and become the observer (mindfulness), it takes the sting away and I return to a more calm, sensible person. Definitely a work in progress for me!

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 9/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 14, 2011 12:13AM socallisa wrote:

I don't follow any teachings ..I do read abundantly and try to find my own paths..

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Mar 14, 2011 12:36AM - edited Mar 14, 2011 12:54AM by ananda8

SoCalLisa,

What do you mean when you say your read abundantly but don't follow any teachings?  Are you equating teachings with a formal religion?  I am confused because it sounds as though you read extensively but don't take anything from your readings.

I read and use the teachings of Gotama as a moral philosophy, but I would not call myself a follower of Buddhism as a religion.  I also like the thoughts of Epicurus.  Epicurus lived around the same time as Gotama and held many similar ideas.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epicurus/

“Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.”

Mar 14, 2011 01:00AM 3jaysmom wrote:

thanks, notself.. i read, esp what you write! lol and my beliefs are taken from many of my readings, even though i have religious beliefs different from buddhism, i have learned so much from you ladies, and YOUR knowledge.thanks, shelia, for your insights, which were helpful.

i tend to think its' all about me, in the bad way. its' just an inch to the right to its all about me in the good way.. now, to learn to move that inch, eh?!! 3jays

3jaysmom Chemotherapy 4/21/2009 Dx DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, 1/27 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 14, 2011 02:30AM ananda8 wrote:

I am about the same place you are.  Moving into true compassion and kindness towards everyone is a great challenge.  I have brief instances when I live up to metta and I am always surprised at the positive results.  Now if I can take those brief instances and string them together into an entire life, I will really have something.

Mar 14, 2011 09:07AM flannelette wrote:

Hi Sheila - Thanks for letting me know about Mooji, Buddha at the Gas Pump (gotta go to the library for a few hours of UTube) and Esther Hicks - and i agree, there are degrees of enlightenment and some stop at an earlier degree. I think Siddhartha Gautama and Jesus may have seen it all.

The reason i like Eckhart Tolle is that he's non-sectarian (or some call him Buddhism Lite) don't know if you're familiar with American beer but i think that's a play on Bud Lite.

I have a good friend who is moving, this week, to Australia. she's going to Corindi Beach,near Coff's Harbour, NSW. Leaving her cold, clammy stone house in England forever! I'm just waiting for her last call before they cut off the phone.....she lived there before and can't wait to return.and I'm saving my credit card points to fly there some day...

Cheers,

Arlene

Dx 7/2008, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIB, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/30/2008 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 10/1/2008 CEF Radiation Therapy 1/10/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/15/2009 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 7/20/2012, 0/6 nodes Surgery 7/20/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary

Mar 14, 2011 10:17AM socallisa wrote:

notself, no I am not searching for anything

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Mar 14, 2011 10:44AM ananda8 wrote:

Oh.  I didn't ask if you were searching for anything.  Rather, I asked if you took anything that you read into your daily experience of life.  Does anything you read have an affect on your approach to problems or situations? 

For example, I find that meditation helps me understand my own motivations and reactions. My meditation is not a search but is more sitting still and looking at the way things really are.

Mar 14, 2011 02:55PM socallisa wrote:

It is so nice that you are a happy camper and so am I..

Page 289 of 875 (8,744 results)

Scroll to top button