Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 05:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 05:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 4 of 903 (9,022 results)

Jan 21, 2008 05:10PM iodine wrote:

Hi Diane, lovely explaination.  I do believe that those who don't follow our path do appreciate our kind thoughts, even in the manner of prayer. LOL

I used to know people who would actually get upset that I lit a candle for them.  On the other hand, in nursing school, I actually had another student stand over my bed and pray for my soul because I was becomming a Catholic---and it was a Catholic nursing school!

(shaking head in confusion)

All kind thoughts and yes, even prayers, are appreciated.  No matter to whom we pray or send positive thoughts.  IMO

Dotti---BE NOT AFRAID, Pope John Paul

Jan 21, 2008 05:12PM kate101 wrote:

I'm an atheist if you're talking about believing in a God who intervenes in human affairs.  (There are many definitions of God that I can accept, but in general not the fundamentalist Christian definition.)

That being said, I accept good wishes from others in whatever form they are given.  If somebody says they are praying for me, I thank them, and I am not at all offended. 

I pray.  I pray for people I care about.  I just don't think there is some guy listening--I believe it is more of a focus of my own energy. 

Jan 21, 2008 08:40PM - edited Mar 28, 2008 08:59PM by badboob67

This Post was deleted by badboob67.
When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! bb67.wikispaces.com/ Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 21, 2008 08:50PM SpunkyGirl wrote:

Diane,

How beautifully said....You can pray for me anytime!

Bobbie

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul."

Jan 21, 2008 09:56PM Diana_B wrote:

This is an interesting thread.

Someone said to me recently that old line "There are no atheists in foxholes". However, I never believed in God and still don't, in spite of this experience.

I'm uncomfortabe with the word "atheist". I used it to describe myself when the oncology resident asked me about my "faith", but it didn't feel right. "Atheist" suggests you think about it and have some kind of opinion or philosophy - almost like you're actively rejecting something. I don't: I just don't connect with or understand the belief in God and have never felt like I had to think about it or come up with reasons or an argument. It's not a concern of mine and it's not natural to me to think about or be troubled by it. I guess I feel the onus of argument is on the believers lol.

When someone says they'll pray for me it depends on the way it's said. I usually just take it to mean that they're thinking about me and care and are wishing me well.

Darya

www.mybrilliantcareer.ca Originally diagnosed Feb. 06. Recurrence Nov. 2007 Dx 11/22/2007, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/20 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 21, 2008 10:01PM otter wrote:

Hey, badboob67, that's fine with me, too. Anything you think might help would be greatly appreciated. I may not be a believer myself, but who's to say you aren't right in the end?  :)

This is a really deep, personal topic that often causes people to be offended.  (You know what they say about talking politics or religion.)  Please let's everybody call a truce.  I don't think anybody meant to offend or insult anybody.  I'm pretty thin-skinned, and I was not offended by anything said in this particular thread.  Then again, I wasn't the person who tentatively asked the very first question.

Hey, we are all fighting on the same side in this other war--the one against BC.  Let's try to work together against that and not against each other.  Please?

otter

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 11:25AM - edited Jan 22, 2008 11:46AM by Believer0711

Hi ladies,

I have very strong convictions about my faith in Jesus, my Lord and Savior. I feel very sad that people "seem" to be offended by loving support and prayers. I speak from my heart when I pray for someone. When I was diagnosed, no words from family and friends, not even church community, can calm me down. I guess I only wanted to hear what I want to hear. I cried endlessly, so scared that death is imminent. God's words comforted me, and I wanted to share that comfort to anyone who are going through the same turmoil. During this journey, heartfelt prayers lifted me up and allowed me to cope. And that's the best way I know to show my support and care.

For those who don't believe in God, prayers may mean nothing to you. But it doesn't bother me...you're still in my prayers...

God bless,

Aurora

Deut 7:15 and Psalm 91:16 "The Lord has taken sickness away from the midst of me and given me a full life span." Dx 11/12/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 11:37AM thedudess wrote:

Sealed
Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 12:39PM Iza wrote:

Just wondering... to those of you who are devout Christians: how would you feel if someone told you they would throw a witch spell in your honor tonight? Or that they would hold a Satanic ceremony in your honor? I have a feeling you would feel uncomfortable, to put it mildly.

Iza O.

Jan 22, 2008 12:54PM siona wrote:

Agnostistic, but think that equal opportunity terrorist analogy is brilliant.Got a message from a religious  Jewish friend who said that G-d had a strange sense of humour by telling me through bc  I needed bigger breasts.I held onto that thought right through a very tough day today.

Dx 1/21/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 4 of 903 (9,022 results)

Scroll to top button