Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 05:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 05:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 6 of 875 (8,744 results)

Jan 22, 2008 03:06PM Sige wrote:

I've been following this thread since my last comments and even though I said I would "leave you to your thread" I am changing my mind!

First of all, I didn't mean to offend anyone...I think I took badboob's post in a different light and was surprised when it was so insulting to dudess. I was trying to understand what was so insulting about it.

Of course, I was only looking at it from my point of view, which is that even though I am not a christian I accept people's good wishes in any way they want to give them to me.  I believe that prayer is just another form of magick and if prayer is their power, then so be it.  Anyone who's known me for awhile on here knows that I am pagan (no worries though...would never do magick for you without your permission).

I  embrace diversity and honor everyone's right to believe and worship in their own way.

I'm never sure what to say to christians...I don't pray to their God so "praying for you" wouldn't work.  I do send "healing energy and positive thoughts" for people who have asked for support which I think (hope) is safe...?!?

I guess I just wanted to say that I could have made my comment sound a little nicer and I apologize if I hurt anyone before.

Blessed be,

Peggy 

"Religion is about creation, and for that reason religion should be about the earth." - Laurie Cabot Surgery 3/25/2006 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 4/3/2006, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 8/1/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2006

Jan 22, 2008 03:14PM paige-allyson wrote:

Madalyn, little-g, anneshirly, sunflowers, DudessSealed it was a joy reading your last round of responses and I so glad to be able to connect with you all. It's silent and snowing here too. Last night we shut out the living room light to see the shadows of the trees falling across the snow. Allyson
Dx 5/18/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 03:28PM MarieKelly wrote:

Yes, I'm an athiest too. Was raised catholic and spent 9 very long years in a catholic grade school. Somewhere around 3rd grade I stopped believing what I was being taught about religion and have never since had any doubt about feeling there is no god. I spent nearly 14 years as a hospital oncology nurse and during that time, saw many people die and a whole lot of prayers being offered in many different religions. Never once did I ever see god respond to any of those prayers...not once in all that time.  Like many of you have said, I have no problem with anyone offering up prayers to myself or anyone else ...they just simply have no meaning for me beyond knowing the person offering them is intending their best wishes and goodwill. 

Ki-67 5%. Wide margin lumpectomy and biopsy track removal. Refused radiation and hormonal therapy. Dx 2/22/2004, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 03:30PM - edited Jan 22, 2008 03:33PM by anneshirley

Hi Peggy,

Nice to see you're back.   

Marie,

You had lots more courage than I did.  I started having doubts at about same time you did (also attended Catholic schools) but repressed them for years.  It took me another fifteen years to accept my doubts.   

Anneshirley Picture of Mary & Sophie, my nieces Dx 6/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jan 22, 2008 03:34PM paige-allyson wrote:

Sunflowers- B. Yes I did. W. Farms is about an hour and 15 from here about as far as Amherst. I'm in the NE corner right near the MA border so Worcester is actually closer than Htfd. Very nice with the makeup trip. Gotta go- do not want to hijack the thread. (Please disregard this brief interruption). Glad the discussion is back on track. WHEW!

Dx 5/18/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 04:27PM Isabella4 wrote:

Hi girls, another atheist here.

I just have no time at all for religion, to me its no better than mumbo jumbo, all this bowing and scraping, and praying, WHERE does it get them all??? It certainly does not cure them. It most certainly does not make them a better person than those of us who have no belief.

As a child I had religion rammed down my throat, my mother was religion mad. We were made to trip off to church twice on a Sunday, plus Sunday school, then when she changed her ideas we had to start taking Catholic instruction. That didn't last long, we were hot foot to the Methodists next, my poor sister being made to stay on at a Catholic school. Then along came the Jehovas Witness'  with my mother having bible study at home regularly, This was followed by a spell at the Baptist chapel, the good old Salvation Army, and the Quakers (I have to admit I was at peace with the Quaker take on things) I lost it when the Mormons moved into town...I was old enough to stop the madness. Each and every one of these groups of people were hell bent on drawing us all into their ways, so creepy I thought, WHY foist religion down peoples throats.

Way to go for me is the scientific route, mixed with Buddhist principles. I am a pacifist, and I firmly believe all conflict in this world has religion in its roots.

I feel at peace with nature, I don't need religion to make me a decent person, I don't need a directive from god for me to help out any of my fellow beings if I can. I can tap on someones door and offer help just as well as the do gooders from the local church can, and I most certainly do not want anyone praying for me and mine.

Thats just my take on things, I think more and more people are shifting their ideas over here in UK, only 3% of people go to church regularly,the bishops and archbishops are spinning round in their dresses wondering where all the money is going to come from to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed to...great big palaces and country houses... while people are living on the streets. So much for christian charity and prayer. 

Ooooooo, I shall get run out of town now !!!!!!!

Isabella.

Dx 5/14/2003, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 04:35PM - edited Jan 22, 2008 04:35PM by anneshirley

Isabella, Not I hope before I get a chance to tell you how much I laughed at the vision of the bishops spinning around in their dresses.  Oh, those country houses!  I'd probably pretend just to live in one of them!

Anneshirley Picture of Mary & Sophie, my nieces Dx 6/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jan 22, 2008 05:13PM mke wrote:

Count me in the atheists camp.  I spent too many years in a Catholic school too.

One good thing about being an atheist is that you don't have to wonder why God let this happen to you.

I accept prayers with thanks, and I send good vibes, I reckon they are the same things.  I was however, quite touched by my little 8 year old great-nephew making me his "intention" which I think is a sort of prayer object.  His grandmother sent me the note he made to announce this in catechism class.   It's very cute.

Jan 22, 2008 05:29PM Sige wrote:

Well said Isabella!

"Religion is about creation, and for that reason religion should be about the earth." - Laurie Cabot Surgery 3/25/2006 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Dx 4/3/2006, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 8/1/2006 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/22/2006

Jan 22, 2008 07:26PM - edited Jan 22, 2008 07:27PM by badboob67

Because thedudess said this

"I have had many people say they will pray for me and I am fine with that" I was therefore mystified as to why she is insulted that I said I will pray for her.

My initial post was an attempt to beg your forgiveness in advance if, in the future, I inadvertantly offer my support to you and say, "I am praying for you." I was trying to explain that I do not say it with the intent to offend, but with true and heartfelt care for what you are experiencing. Her follow-up to my post indicated that she felt it to be borderline insulting. 

I am not sure where Madalyn gets the idea that I was lecturing on the "goodness of prayer". I was, however, trying to clarify the intent of someone who offers prayer as by way of emotional support. As for "scolding" "proper appreciativeness"?  Well,  I don't really know what to say. I was talking about how I feel if someone offers support to me in a way that differs from my own beliefs. I DO appreciate the THOUGHT behind it whether or not I appreciate the method.

If someone wants to spin around thrice and click their ruby-shoed heels together for me, I am truly grateful. And Iza, if that was a sincere offer I would thank you for expressing your care from where you are "coming from".  I am befuddled that my honest attempt at having a respectful dialog has stirred up so much ire. I respect your choices; please respect mine.

I don't see where I was trying to shove ANYTHING down anyone's throat--unless having a heart and caring what another human being is enduring can be considered so. 

As I am obviously being viewed as an inconsiderate, condescending thread-stealer, I will post no further on this thread.  I am sorry for being the impetus for turning the tide of the conversation away from a respectful interchange of thoughts and ideas. 

When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! bb67.wikispaces.com/ Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 6 of 875 (8,744 results)

Scroll to top button