Topic: Is anyone else an atheist with BC besides me?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 06:39PM

Posted on: Jan 18, 2008 06:39PM

thedudess wrote:

Hi I am newly diagnosed and I know alot of people rely on their faith for support and find great peace with that, however I am a atheist and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

thanks

Dx 1/7/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 7 of 875 (8,744 results)

Jan 22, 2008 09:15PM - edited Jan 22, 2008 09:18PM by dash

Little G, that's exactly how I have always recharged--being alone with nature, whether in amongst the trees or down by my beloved bay. My feelings are very deep about nature. I have always felt to be an integral part of it and it an integral part of me.

However, anyone that wants to pray, send me good vibes, cast spells...whatever...as long as it's backed with good feelings, I'll take it! My beliefs are somewhat private but they are definitely my own--a huge conglomeration of a lifetime of observations. I have a favorite saying--(one of many favorite sayings!). It's: I am a part of all that I have met. I think that each religion or belief system has some bit of beauty or truth in it and my taking bits and pieces of all the best things will only benefit me.

By the way, as a child, I was raised agnostic but I loved to hear about and take part in every friend's religious practice. I went to many and as long as I felt goodness or beauty then I respected it.

Badboob, I understood what you were saying clearly and I think you were just misunderstood or maybe some people really don't feel open enough to accept whatever others are willing or able to give them.

Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen, though...That's the problem. ~The Tao of Pooh

Jan 22, 2008 09:38PM Little-G wrote:

What a fabulous moon rise tonight!!!!  So clear and bright out!!  Go out and take lung fulls of fresh air!!!!!  I am going to go walking in the moonlight later and spin around by myself! :-)

g

Dx 2005, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 22, 2008 10:35PM paige-allyson wrote:

Isabella- You certainly got quite the religious education! I will go to sleep with the vision of "bishops spinning in their dresses" dancing in my head. Reminds me- my mom had a friend and her husband over recently- both converts to one of the forms of Tibetan Buddhism- forget which one- but the came in their attire of red and yellow robes with matching wool coats. When they were leaving and the husband was putting on his coat my mom complimented him on how it matched with his "skirt." He was a good sport- said "usually we call it a robe." Sunflowers- thanks for the "hatch, match, and dispatch" description! I know Europeans seem to have separated from organized religion more than Americans have, which is interesting.

BB67- I thnk what really happened was pretty simple and I wish it could be resolved with all bad feelings cleared up. Neither you, dudess, or anyone here needs another thing on our plates. I think we can all agree thank the BC is more than enough. My take on what happened is that you did mean well but accidentally came off as lecturing by giving advice re: how non- religious people like most of us here might recieve offers of prayers and so on. From the start of the thread there has been a strong trend with just about everyone saying "Hey- I'll take whatever I can get- maybe it will work/hope it works" and similar-- I can't speak for everyone here but overall I think most of us don't mind offers of prayers on our behalf and see this exactly as you describe it- as an expression of caring and support- which is only a good thing and a kind thing. So I think what might have happened was that when you said something about praying for people and that dudedess/ others should accept that- it created this dynamic sort of like if you are in the middle of doing something or about to do it and someone comes along and tells you to do it it creates this reaction/puts one on the defensive. I hope this is coherent- I'm a bit beat and a little unfocused and this is a tough topic but also I think a good one in the sense that in this forum, not just this thread, we all have a lot on our plates, all feel very vulnerable at times, and there is a lot of opportunity to give each other feedback and advice- both of which can get very tricky. It's easy to step on each others toes and easy to hurt each other without meaning to- we don't know one another- we're interacting in cyberspace and so can't see one anothers reactions and temper our input accordingly. It's an awful feeling to feel like you've set something off when you did not mean for that to happen. I've done it-not here yet thankfully- but I'm sure I could- certainly have in the "real world" a couple of times at least. I'd like to think that we as a group could get through this and learn from it. I think everyone here has good intentions and that this could happen. Allyson

Dx 5/18/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 23, 2008 10:01AM - edited Jan 23, 2008 10:04AM by anneshirley

Any cat lovers out there?  I have two, Rachel and LoMein.  LoMein is a male and friendly and trusting.  I always worry about stepping on him at night as he'll stretch out anywhere and won't move under any circumstance.  Rachel, on the other hand, is very skiddish.  My husband was the one who found her (newspaper ad on a store window), and he's her first and only love.  The second he goes to bed, she jumps on his chest and stays there so long as he lets her.  She tolerates me, but even with Miguel if we come anywhere near her bowl while she's eating, she runs for cover.  She's still like this after fifteen years, when all she's ever received from us is absolute love, security, and pampering.  When she first arrived she wouldn't eat anything and my husband would take the subway down to China Town to purchase all kinds of fish, anything to tempt her appetite.  And now all she eats is dry foot, won't even consider anything else, although recently we've noticed, she at least smells our food.  Can she be changing?  I'm not complaining about her diet, which is excellent for her health, but find it so strange that she has absolutely no inclination to try other food.  If she were human, she'd be one of those very skinny women who eat rye crisps all day. Oh, to be one of those women!   LoMein also eats dry food but he still tries to sneak some of our food if we're not looking.  The picture with my signature is of LoMein, but I'll probably change it soon and put one up of Rachel.  Not nice to play favorites, even if they don't know about it.

So tell me about your pet. I love hearing pet stories.

Anneshirley Picture of Mary & Sophie, my nieces Dx 6/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jan 23, 2008 10:22AM - edited Jan 23, 2008 11:31AM by paige-allyson

As you may be able to tell from the avatar- yes! This cat converted (had typed "coverted" interesting typo! She did that too.) us! My husband found her in our garage on the day of my staging tests in June. She was with 2 sibs and had a young mom that was caring for them irratically. After seeking advice from the vet we took them in at a 1 day old. The sibs were frail and did not make it- although they hung in for a while and we had gotten hopeful- but this kitten Isabella was strong from the get go- got to where she was semi-holding her own bottle like a baby monkey. Here she is in all her feline glory. She's 7 months old now and the most sociable cat I have ever known in my life- one of the family- the dogs love her too.
Dx 5/18/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 23, 2008 12:10PM anneshirley wrote:

Allyson:  I second he motion.  She looks very very sweet!  I'll try to upload something larger of my two cats.  You really can't see them in those tiny pictures. I love all cats, but particularly the sociable ones.

Sunflowers: A friend's grandson with allergy problems tolerates her dog very well.  I'm not sure of the breed but I'll make inquiries.  I can't imagine our lives without our cats.  They give us so much pleasure.  We don't have a dog because we like to travel to and from Europe.  Only two animals can travel in cabin at the same time, so until we give up travelling it's only the two cats.  But if ever we decide to stick in one place, I plan to get more cats and at least one dog. 

Anneshirley Picture of Mary & Sophie, my nieces Dx 6/10/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jan 23, 2008 12:24PM Primel wrote:

Sunflowers, love your post "my religion is kindness", and Isabella: nothing to add....Smile French Catholic upbringuing did it for me... then philosophy classes in school...

I think the yearning of mankind for "extraterrestrial" explanations of our fate is fascinating, though, and I read a lot about the history of religions and philosophical essays on those themes, just to try to understand things better. 

Wishing you all the best,

Catherine

Jan 23, 2008 03:44PM anneshirley wrote:

Here are larger pictures of LoMein and Rachel. Rachel has an elegant head; LoMein looks like one of those mops you use to apply polyurthene to your floors.

Jan 23, 2008 04:07PM Little-G wrote:

Madalyn,

We have 2 german shepards, they are beautiful and love to run!!  And, our horse is named Snickers!  :-)  What I did want to say, going back on track to the thread is that when I'm inside, or in my car I find that Celtic music is great to listen too!!!  It's so soothing and makes me want to move to Scotland!!

g

Dx 2005, ILC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 23, 2008 04:25PM - edited Jan 23, 2008 04:34PM by Mizsissy

Post deleted, I'm really too spacey today to say anything sensible!

Page 7 of 875 (8,744 results)

Scroll to top button