We are 226,002 members in 82 forums discussing 158,562 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Book Lovers Club

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Apr 1, 2010 05:04PM

konakat wrote:

I've been receiving marvelous book suggestions on another thread and it was recommended that I start a Book Lovers thread.  This is not for BC or health books -- this is pure escapism!!!  I've collated the suggestions (with snippets describing the plots) I've received thus far.  Please post your recommendations too!!

Elizabeth's Mantra: When in doubt, eat cake. When you haven't a clue, add ice cream. Elizabeth's Mets: Liver, bones, brain (yuck), and lungs (more yuck). Dx 5/2007, ILC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 13/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 251 of 252 (7,531 results)

Posts 7501 - 7530 (7,531 total)

Jan 14, 2020 09:30AM carolehalston wrote:

Minus, I'm jealous. I have resisted buying the Crawdads book but I may have to give in and buy the Kindle version. The library's ebook had 30 some people ahead of me.

I just started another Jo Nesbo novel.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2020 09:43AM ruthbru wrote:

Crawdads is a stay-up-all-night book, Yes, Carole, you should read it!

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 14, 2020 04:32PM JCSLibrarian wrote:

Funny. I could not get into Where the Crawdads Sing. Too much sweating and being barefoot! And I live in the South. LOL! If you liked it, another similar title is Sing Your Daughter Home by Deb Spera. Set in South Carolina with three women and their families as main characters.

As a former librarian that did select books, it is not easy to make all the customers happy. Our main rule was the title had to have received a favorable review in an established library magazine. Other than that we bought just about everything a customer requested. I loved Good Night Moon and frequently used it in storytimes. Often the art in children’s books is more important than the words. Moon has such a peaceful feel to it.

To me, the fun thing about reading is selecting a title that appeals then talking to others about it. We all like different things about the characters, setting and/or style. I am currently reading Overground Railroad by Candace Taylor. It is a nonfiction title about the Green Book and how it influenced travel by African-Americans. I am not crazy about the author’s writing style, but am enjoying the information presented.

Dx 11/5/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 2, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 3/22/2019 Surgery 7/16/2019 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/12/2019 External

Jan 14, 2020 07:24PM magiclight wrote:

This group is definitely not going extinct!

Dx 4/15/2015, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/26/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery

Jan 15, 2020 01:19AM - edited Jan 15, 2020 01:19AM by MinusTwo

JCS - are you familiar with Bookmarks Magazine? I wait with baited breath for my copies all years long.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 15, 2020 09:26AM JCSLibrarian wrote:

No, but it looks interesting. I use Indiebound.org a lot when looking for book titles. It is a group of independent bookstores that post a monthly list of interesting titles. Found numerous great reads there. My next read is a title that was recommended here, Travellers in the Third Reich. Have other things on hold through the library, but I enjoy learning about new books here.

Dx 11/5/2018, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, Grade 2, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 3/22/2019 Surgery 7/16/2019 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/12/2019 External

Jan 15, 2020 04:57PM MinusTwo wrote:

JSC -I'm going to check out indiebound.org I get weekly e-newsletters from one of our local Indie bookstores. They do reviews of employee's favorites and list new titles in both hardback & paperback. They also have national authors speak & read from their works several times a month. I used to go regularly, but it's a "fur piece" and usually in the evening so I've been missing the readings.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 15, 2020 08:12PM sierrafhs wrote:

Hello all!

Just finished reading Before We Were Yours last night, about the Tennessee Children's Home Society. Thank you for the recommendation, JCSLibrarian! I had no idea this happened, and not so long ago (closed down in 1950). It was a shocking account of child trafficking before there were protections in place, but well-developed characters and great story progression, I couldn't put it down. Wound up researching a bit further on the internet, to learn more about the horrible director and the survivors. Haven't decided yet whether to read Before and After.

The library system here uses the “Libby" app to check out e-books ... this was one of the rare instances lately that I've been able to become totally engrossed in my Kindle! (I like the weight and feel of a real book in my hands, with pages ... old school, I guess!) Am going to commit to Crawdads as well ... wasn't sure it was something I would like, but after reading all of your rave reviews, I have put it on hold. Until then, Isaac's Storm is on the top of the stack. Can’t wait!

Hope everyone is well, happy Wednesday

Dx 4/1/2008, IDC Dx 1/31/2019, IDC

Jan 15, 2020 11:19PM MinusTwo wrote:

Sierra - GREAT poster. You have some good books liked up!!!

Jan 16, 2020 10:01AM carolehalston wrote:

I am “all in” on kindle reading and so is my dh. He recently forgot to bring his kindle on a trip and had to resort to buying a paperback. He didn’t like the different reading experience.

My one complaint is that my kindle with lighted screen requires frequent charging. If I ‘m not vigilant, a warning of low battery will appear in the middle of reading

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 16, 2020 08:06PM Maire67 wrote:

Just a trick I use on Kindle. Try turning on airplane mode when not downloading. It saves the battery.

Dx 6/2005, ILC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, metastasized to bone, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy

Jan 16, 2020 08:11PM DogMomRunner wrote:

Even though I miss the feel of a real book, I don't miss having to store them all

You ain't run far enough to say My legs have failed You ain't gone far enough You ain't worked hard enough You ain't run far enough to say It ain't gonna get any better. Nathaniel Rateliff Dx 4/24/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/17/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 6/5/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/5/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Jan 17, 2020 04:45AM magiclight wrote:

Dogmom… agree about storing books and then finding them new homes. On occasion I still want a hard copy so that I can mark favorite passages. I think there is something about those tiny strips sticking up that I use rather than underlying that make it easy for me to pick up that book again and rediscover a passage. For some reason I do not do that with sections highlighted in my Kindle.

Dx 4/15/2015, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/26/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery

Jan 17, 2020 12:59PM kathindc wrote:

I read in night mode on my iPad. The white print on black background is easier on my eyes, no glare from so much white background. Seems to save my battery life.

Jan 17, 2020 01:01PM MinusTwo wrote:

Magic - my BFF says she know when a book at her house belongs to me because of the little yellow sticky note strips. I also pick up books at random and read what I've 'noted'. Sometimes I still underline too, but I try to do that in pencil now a days. Not sure why I switched from pen.

Jan 17, 2020 01:12PM MinusTwo wrote:

Got stuck waiting for someone yesterday and pulled out one of the used books I always keep in my trunk for such emergencies. It was Mosaic by John R. Maxim (1999).

It's about wealthy politician & CEO's who stick their wayward & embarrassing children & wives in (mental) institutions. (just like they did at the turn of the century before this one) The psych groups from NSA/CIA/Pentagon/Los Alamos Labs - are using them to test experimental drug combinations. "They" are hoping to: a) develop a drug so soldiers won't be "bothered" by fear, and b) research people who truly have multiple personalities for the spy industry. Ended up finishing before I slept. Scary premises.

Jan 17, 2020 03:09PM JCSLibrarian wrote:

For those of you that like modern day murder mysteries I recommend Long Bright River by Liz Moore. A young woman from a troubled home becomes a police officer. She works in Philadelphia and sees a great deal of prostitution and drug addiction. Murdered prostitutes turn up about the time the officer’s drug addicted sister goes missing. Well written with many twists and turns. Not my usual genre, but glad I picked it up.

I agree about electronic reading. I swore I would never give up reading ‘real’ books. Once my cataracts started growing the large font on my IPad was the only thing that saved me. I love sitting on the couch downloading something to read. I am probably 60% EBook and 40% book book. I am sad about the fact that publishers are now limiting libraries to one ebook per title. It will make holds lists a great deal longer.

Enjoy your weekend

Jan 17, 2020 03:31PM sierrafhs wrote:

Agreed, I have a Paperwhite, which I really do like ... I always like to take a book or two when I travel, this is the thing that convinced me to try it out. One Kindle vs heavy books! They’re great for reading in bed, and on airplanes at night. I like it for this too because it is smaller than my iPad.

Has anyone read The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George? I’m seeing mixed reviews. Wondering if it is similar to Mr Penumbra’s 24-hour Bookstore (not a fan). Would appreciate any impressions

Have a great weekend, everyone

Jan 17, 2020 07:22PM - edited Jan 17, 2020 07:23PM by ruthbru

I liked The Little Paris Bookshop. I thought about picking it for my Book Club selection (I wouldn't have considered that if I didn't think it was good).

For travel, or books I'm reading just to read, I like my Kindle. If it's a book that is meaningful, that I might want to revisit, I want my 'real' book so I can underline, jog notes in the margins, tag pages I want to quickly find. I've started books on Kindle, and if I realize they are a keeper, I've stopped & quickly got a hard copy. It's a special treat to make a book my own.

"Invisible threads are the strongest ties." Friedrich Nietzsche Dx 2/2007, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 17, 2020 10:19PM voraciousreader wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7901365/Bestselling-author-Lee-Child-hands-future-Jack-Reacher-younger-brother.html

Bestselling author Lee Child hands the future of Jack Reacher over to his younger brother Andrew Grant - as long as he changes his name
  • Lee Child has announced he will not be writing another Jack Reacher book
  • He has handed the rights of the multi-million pound franchise to his brother
  • Considered different ways of killing Reacher but decided to keep him in family
Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Jan 18, 2020 12:04AM MinusTwo wrote:

My-oh-my. Thanks for posting. Certainly news. Surprised at no comment VR. What did your DH say?

At least it's nice to know. I quit reading James Patterson when it became obvious he was doing nothing but lending (selling) his name.

Jan 18, 2020 12:52AM - edited Jan 18, 2020 12:53AM by voraciousreader

Minus....DH said...."If he plans on developing something for television, sounds ok." That said, I reminded him that I loved Jonathan Tropper's books, including This is Where I Leave You, which was subsequently made into a pretty good film. And....Tropper is now a screenwriter and wrote and directed TWO TV series which we loved watching as well. So, if Child follows Tropper's path, then WOW!

i had the pleasure of meeting Tropper twice. He is hilarious and so clever! And has Chutzpah too!

Looking forward to Child's next act....

And Patterson? Booooo.

btw....since Vince Flynn's untimely passing, another writer has taken over writing his books and according to the DH, the books are pretty good....

sooooo...best of luck to Child's brother...and best of luck to Child

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Jan 20, 2020 09:27PM MinusTwo wrote:

VR - saw on another thread that yesterday was your B-day. Many returns slightly late.

Image result for happy belated birthday gif funny

Jan 20, 2020 09:42PM voraciousreader wrote:

minus! Thank you! I never make a big deal about my birthday. But yesterday was one of my best birthdays! My entire family, excluding my grandson and me, were sick! So, he and I spent the entire day together and had the best time!

Today....everyone is STILL sick, so he and I got to spend even more time together. Among the highlights of the day was I read him a very, very, very short version of Moby Dick. He loved the story. I found this series of children picture books called 10 minute children’s classics. The vocabulary in the Moby Dick story was exceptional. While reading it to him (almost 4 years old), he asked if I was reading an “old” English. That was such a wonderful way of describing the words he was hearing.....i did have to be creative and change words and parts of the story...but in the end....he loved the book and so did I, and best of all,I loved spending every minute with him!

Jan 20, 2020 10:04PM MelissaDallas wrote:

VR, one of my fondest memories is being shipped off to my grandparents’ when I had chicken pox in hopes my sister wouldn’t get them too, plus both my folks were teachers. I got grandmother all to myself for days

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jan 20, 2020 10:24PM voraciousreader wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Moby-Dick-10-Minute-Classics/dp/1486712002

above....a link to Moby Dick. I highly recommend.

melissa...i have extremely wonderful memories of my maternal grandparents....I think I developed my love of reading while reading to my immigrant grandmother. In fact, reaching back to those memories is what boosted my desire to become a literacy volunteer once my own kids left the nest. Among my fondest childhood memories was reading to my grandmother from the Letters to the Editor in the local New York paper....those Letters helped develop my critical thinking skills and from that experience I had with her, I will always be grateful.

Jan 22, 2020 08:51PM pat01 wrote:

Just finished A gentleman in Moscow. Took me a while to get into it, but once I did I rather enjoyed it. The ending confused me a bit, I won't give it away here for those who haven't read it, but I actually had to google a discussion on the ending to see what happened!

Dx 6/1/2011, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy

Jan 23, 2020 10:23AM - edited Jan 23, 2020 10:23AM by sierrafhs

Pat01, I loved A Gentleman in Moscow! You're right, a little difficult to get into at the beginning, but excellent historical fiction, great political insights and lessons so relevant even today, funny and witty.

Jan 26, 2020 02:11PM pat01 wrote:

For those of you who are Amazon Prime members, you can get 2 free ebooks during January from a preselected list. Google Amazon firstreads for details. Some of the books look pretty interesting.

Dx 6/1/2011, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy

Jan 27, 2020 10:27PM voraciousreader wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jan/25/book-clinic-what-postmodernist-novels-should-i-read

reading the above column regarding “postmodernist” authors.....it never occurred to me that my favorite author Geoff Dyer was a “postmodernist” author....not that I even know what the term means and I also wonder what section in a library or book store you would even find “postmodernist” authors....hmmmmm..

Page 251 of 252 (7,531 results)