Topic: WHAT THE CLUCK? "Buckets for the Cure" - KFC & Komen

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2010 06:00AM - edited Apr 23, 2010 01:49PM by Raili

Posted on: Apr 23, 2010 06:00AM - edited Apr 23, 2010 01:49PM by Raili

Raili wrote:

KFC and Komen for the Cure have formed a partnership, selling pink buckets of fried chicken to raise money for breast cancer research.  This is problematic on so many levels.  Breast Cancer Action is speaking out about this, and has started a letter-writing campaign to KFC and Komen, urging them to reconsider.  Over 1000 people have already sent letters.

You can go here (org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6...) to edit and send the following letter:

"Dear KFC and Susan G. Komen for the Cure,

I am appalled by your "Buckets for the Cure" partnership. I share Breast Cancer Action's shock at this outrageous campaign, which uses the breast cancer epidemic to improve the American public's perception of KFC, and increase the company's profits from the sale of pink buckets of chicken. There is no doubt in my mind that countless people affected by breast cancer find this campaign offensive and upsetting, as is evident from many blog posts and Facebook pages I have seen.

KFC (with Susan G. Komen for the Cure's blessing) is engaged in one of the worst examples of pinkwashing. A pinkwasher is a company that purports to care about breast cancer by promoting a pink-ribboned product while at the same time manufacturing products that contribute to the disease. In this case, KFC is encouraging people to buy pink buckets of chicken to demonstrate its alleged commitment to ending the breast cancer epidemic. However, KFC's food is unhealthy and much of it is marketed to low-income communities. KFC thus contributes to the significant problem of providing poor food choices for low-income communities in the United States, who disproportionately suffer from poor breast cancer outcomes and other problems that may be exacerbated by an unhealthy diet.

Instead of partnering with a corporation that sells unhealthy food, I believe that Susan G. Komen for the Cure should work with companies that do not contribute to the breast cancer epidemic."

Dx 11/2009, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2 of 2 (14 results)

Apr 29, 2010 05:25PM Raili wrote:

That's awesome that you're doing that podcast, Zwei!  It IS important to use our voices!!

Can I suggest that you encourage people to donate to Breast Cancer Action instead of Komen?  IMO, Komen, by partnering with KFC despite knowing that there are carcinogenic substances in those pink buckets of chicken, is just as guilty in this.  Breast Cancer Action - www.bcaction.org - is the only national breast cancer organization that does not accept money from corporations who profit from or contribute to cancer.  I donated to them a few days ago to protest the KFC/Komen partnership!

Apr 30, 2010 05:57AM Bren-2007 wrote:

I saw the pink bucket KFC on t.v. last night.  OMG ... who wants to eat fried chicken out of a pink bucket ... even considering all the health implications.

I'd be more accepting of this trend towards pink everything if the focus was on funding for new chemo's, immunotherapy, research grants for gene therapy, etc.

I don't like the entire world thinking I have some girly pink ribbon disease.  Or the popular cancer.  The focus needs to be on those dying .. and treatment and a cure for them.

What's next .. pink coffins?

Apr 30, 2010 07:04AM Raili wrote:

I wish there was a larger focus on prevention.

May 2, 2010 05:28PM NatureGrrl wrote:

Had to add:   At first, I was drawn into the commercial ("this is for Carol," my name)(how often is the name Carol used anywhere?? not many) but then I was quickly offended by the whole thing.   But I thought it was just me being "overly sensitive" about the issue... I'm so glad my gut was once again on target (oh, I have learned volumes about listening to my gut!).  I've put it on my blog and on my FB page and added my thoughts about it all to KFC and Komen, although I think both have made it clear they don't care how  people who actually have cancer think.  Too bad we have to be on the watch for such abuses.  Too bad there are so many who are so willing to exploit our humanity to make a buck.   

Carol, living out loud! fire-of-our-hope.blogspot.com/ Dx 4/2009, IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Page 2 of 2 (14 results)

Scroll to top button