Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 2, 2011 07:28AM

Posted on: Feb 2, 2011 07:28AM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 4,105 (41,043 results)

Feb 2, 2011 07:37AM NatureGrrl wrote:

Your DH is sweet!   Nice idea for a thread.

Right now I'm looking at ice and snow and 24 more hours of it, so I'm thinking comfort food... some bean soup and cornbread, if the power doesn't go out first :)  If it does, I'll have PB & banana, or a bowl of Cheerios (I have milk in a cooler so I don't have to open the fridge if the power goes out).

What are you  having, Laurie, and what's everyone else having, and can I come over if  my power goes out? :)

Carol, living out loud! fire-of-our-hope.blogspot.com/ Dx 4/2009, IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Feb 2, 2011 07:42AM catbill wrote:

DH had a big garbagecan salad waiting for us when I got home from work.  He even cooked chicken breasts to put in it.  Got all my various veggies for the day, and even a few shreds of organic cheese.  Temps are going to hit -10 degrees tonight,  Add the wind chill and -35 to -45 below is expected.  BRRRRRR...

Oncotype 8, no chemo, no rads, bilat mastectomy, on Arimidex Dx 9/29/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 2, 2011 07:43AM Laurie08 wrote:

Naturegrrl- I love PB and banana!  Hubby thinks I am nuts!  We too are going to get 2 feet of snow between today and Thursday morning, it's been snowing all day here.  I had a busy day and was feeling tired so I am making a salsa chicken dish with brown rice that require no work at all. aka- lazy yummy dinner:)

And yes you can come over if your power goes out, we can make grilled cheese on the wood stove- I've done it before!  (bring the beansoup:)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Feb 2, 2011 07:45AM tougherthanithought wrote:

My son has basketball practice tonight, and my husband is on a business trip so dinner was English Muffin Pizzas. Always a hit w/ my kids. They like to help me make them :)
Sherrill

Sherrill Dx 4/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Feb 2, 2011 07:48AM SeasideMemories wrote:

Hi Laurie,

LOVE your idea!  Tonight I have a pot of bean soup simmering... smells wonderful but, due to shoveling, got started a bit too late to have tonight....  Eh, it will be even better tomorrow!

SO, leftover sweet italian sausage with sauteed red bell peppers and onions simmered in marsala wine, tomato and basil.   Choice of over pasta or on a hoagie roll!!  Not exactly (or remotely) healthfood BUT, Soooo Good!

Dx 5/8/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 2, 2011 07:52AM Laurie08 wrote:

tougherthan i thought- I thought I was the only one who made english muffin pizzas?  They were a favorite of mine when I was a kid and still are. 

Seaside- if I tell my husband what you are making for dinner I think he would be on his way to your house.

Feb 2, 2011 07:57AM SusansGarden wrote:

Great thread idea!  I work, so always need some ideas.. and usually something easy!

I'm going to Trader Joe's (cheap, mostly "healthy stuff" grocery store) after work, so dinner tonight will probably be one of their fresh prepared meals in the refrigerated section. Hmmmm... lasagna? chicken caesar salad?  enchiladas? stuffed green peppers? .... this is making me hungry! 

Though for me.... I'm trying to have an "anti-breast cancer" food incorporated in each of my meals.  So I may be sprinkling cut up beets/broccoli/brussel sprouts/kale on one of the above.  Yum!?! Yell 

P.S.  I love PB and banana too!!!!  

"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Feb 2, 2011 08:05AM NatureGrrl wrote:

Laurie, how do you make the chicken-salsa and brown rice dinner?  Is it as simple as it sounds?  I love new ideas for brown rice and am trying to eat more lean protein so that sound perfect...

SusansGarden, the more you eat anti-bc food, the more you may come to like it... I still crave "bad" foods at times but they taste less and less good to me.   I'm a huge veggies, fruit and whole-grains fan now.

PB & banana -- the best way to eat PB!  I don't get the PB & pickle thing, though :) 

Stay warm and safe, everyone -- I'm off to fix my dinner!

Carol, living out loud! fire-of-our-hope.blogspot.com/ Dx 4/2009, IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Feb 2, 2011 08:23AM SeasideMemories wrote:

Laurie,

You all would be welcome anytime!

My husband left on a business trip yesterday (gone till th ened of the week) so that was his "going away dinner"!  Wish I could say that's how I cook all the time but, I would be lying!

PB and banana.... Wow, haven't had that in a long time but, used to love it.... Just one question.... How do YOU slice the bananas?  I was a slice into rounds kind of girl.... BUT my sister-in-law is a slice lengthwise person.... I can see how each has their benefits! 

Dx 5/8/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 2, 2011 08:31AM SusansGarden wrote:

Carol ~  I actually started a big "health kick" (eating & exercising ~ and lost 25 lbs) about 4 months before I was diagnosed.  So I've been "upping my game" since BC and started adding more varieties (like the beets, brussel sprouts) ... and you are right.. I actually do like a lot of it now!..and the processed foods will often taste too salty, too sweet, etc. and are getting easier and easier to avoid. 

Chicken, salsa and brown rice does sound simple! .. and delicious!  

"If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes." Dx 10/6/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/30/2010 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2011 Surgery 7/10/2013 Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 1 of 4,105 (41,043 results)

Scroll to top button