We are 196,647 members in 81 forums discussing 144,826 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 03:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1050 of 1,058 (31,720 results)

Posts 31471 - 31500 (31,720 total)

Oct 21, 2017 10:06PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

One of the exhibits

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/8/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/17/2012 Reconstruction (left) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/13/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/10/2012 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 8/14/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/4/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Oct 21, 2017 10:08PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

Winnie the Pooh, note the bees and hive all lit up for the nite

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/8/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/17/2012 Reconstruction (left) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/13/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/10/2012 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 8/14/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/4/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Oct 21, 2017 10:09PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

Little House of the Prairie setting. Over 70 books represented.

Oct 21, 2017 10:12PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

My sisters and I. (Not yesterday though)

Or perhaps you'd prefer this one I took yesterday

Oct 22, 2017 05:02AM - edited Oct 22, 2017 05:40AM by Cherry-sw

Moonflwr912, beautiful pictures, one can definitely tell that there are three sisters, you look alike.

Lacey12, my grandfather had a smaller farm, he always grew several pumpkins, very large, not orange or yellow in color but mostly green with some yellow stripes and patches. They were the last to be harvested and moved to an underground storage. I remember me being small sitting on one of those huge pumpkins, my feet could not reach the ground, watching him gathering scrap and rubbish in the garden preparing for winter. Once a week he would cut a big part of one of those pumpkins, they could be stored until the middle of the winter. How he managed to get them up and down from this underground I have no idea, but he roasted the seeds first and then put the pumpkin into the oven with nothing on it for some time and then just sprinkle it with sugar. Once done he would put it on the table and everybody would just scope from it into a smaller bowl and eat it. For him it was a dessert, he grew up during difficult times civil war and WWII, anything naturally sweet, because sugar was not available, was considered a treat. I still can bake some squash in oven once in awhile and it reminds me of my childhood.

About this raw pork meat. Where I grew up people did not eat beef or veal, like almost nothing, the meat was considered pork. My brother since he was a teenager could walk into the kitchen, take some of the slices my mom was about to sear in the pan, put some salt on it and just eat it. The same with the meat marinated for barbeque, he can just eat it raw, not much, just one piece. I have never done it, not with the pork, I respect science to much to do such thing.

Yesterday I baked Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chips Peanut-Butter Breakfast Cookies, this is the name of the recipe, I am not joking. I never heard of those before, I read about them on another thread and googled the recipe. This was my second time, I added raisins, dried cranberries and crushed walnuts, turned out really good. There is no sugar in this recipe just 1/4 cup of honey and if you exclude the chocolate chips it would be as healthy as a dessert can be. I should have taken a picture but I did not and today there were only two left. They look good too, something you can place on the table and everybody would just exclaim Ooh! These look delicious!

Rostbeef and veggie mush today, we did not make it yesterday. I bought Béarnaise sauce to it. Have a nice Sunday everybody.

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/21/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Oct 22, 2017 06:17AM DodgersGirl wrote:

we had steaks for dinner last night. I bought DH Sous Vide immersion circulator stick for his birthday this month and he fixed sirloins last night.

Had sirloins in the freezer so took out two. Into the water bath they went for 1 hr 45 mins at 130 degrees. This water bath cooks the steaks to the desired temp without over cooking. Once they were cooked they were placed on hot cast iron grill pan to seat the outside.

They were so tender that we literally could cut them with a fork.

Had simple salad a green beans with the steaks

Yummy.

Hope to do steaks again really soon

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/23/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 22, 2017 07:22AM auntienance wrote:

Looking good there Monica!

Count me in the pink pork club. I have actually come to the conclusion that I love almost all parts of the pig except the loin. It's just too lean and lacking in flavor. I much prefer the shoulder, butt or tenderloin. I fixed a very nice dish yesterday with inch thick loin chops that included apples, onions and fresh sage, and a cider/cider vinegar sauce, all cooked in a cast iron skillet. While the sauce was really delicious and the chops very tender and juicy, they just left me underwhelmed. So I think that I'll throw in the towel and stick to the fattier cuts or tenderloin.

Sous vide is on my wish list. It would be on my Christmas list, but since we're going to New Orleans for Christmas, we'll forgo gifts to each other this year. We haven't picked our Reveillion yet but it looks like it may be the Court of Two Sisters. Oddly enough, in all of my visits to NOLA, I've never eaten there. The non seafood eater, DH can order off the menu there if he wants.

Road trip to the city today. We are in need of the Jamaican blend coffee beans that we love from Fresh Thyme and some items from Lowe's. We are also in need of some room darkening curtains for a living room side window where a tree used to block the late afternoon sun so Bed Bath and Beyond is on the list too. If I can find some decent corn at Fresh Thyme, dinner may be corn chowder in the pressure cooker. (another Serous Eats gem.)

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 22, 2017 04:18PM carolehalston wrote:

Liar, liar, pants on fire. I didn't cook the chicken gumbo today and I didn't make wheat buns. Dinner will be leftovers.

Nance, I totally agree that the fattier pork is tastier. My favorite is pork butt roast. But the pork tenderloins can be made enjoyable by not overcooking them. DH really likes the pork steaks and so do I but we eat them during our "unhealthy" summer eating phase along with brats and hard salami and bologna. I've been brainwashed to avoid eating too much fatty meat but the brainwashing seems to fade out in MN during the summer.

We ate at Court of Two Sisters with dh's parents many years ago. The patio is a beautiful setting for dining on those rare days when the New Orleans weather is perfect for it.

Minus, we had several days of pleasant 70's temperatures, too. Today a front blew through and tomorrow is supposed to be cooler.

Moon, what a treat to have you check in again! And healthy, to boot!

I hope Susan is doing well, enjoying Olivia and welcoming pleasant boarders.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 23, 2017 07:48PM illimae wrote:

Last night was an early Thanksgiving dinner since DH won't be home for it next month but I was too excited to eat and forgot the pic. Tonight was the after thanksgiving sandwich consisting of toasted white bread, mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, stuffing and green bean casserole 😋

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 23, 2017 08:32PM ChiSandy wrote:

Moon, you look great and so do your sisters! Happy you're doing fine.

Another pink pork aficionado here. We never kept Kosher--we had bacon, ham, Genoa salami, lamb loin chops & leg, bratwurst, shellfish and my Mom made a killer veal Parm--but Mom was terrified of trichinosis. The one time she tried to make pork chops they were like shoe leather. Decades later she worked up the courage to order thick-cut grilled pork chops and loved them...but still never tried her hand at cooking them. I recently ordered a Korobuta pork shoulder from Snake River Farms and am waiting for an opportunity to roast it if we have enough dinner guests (or at least the 3 of us are home at dinner time).

Carole, Court of the Two Sisters is fun. My first visit to NOLA was for the American College of Cardiology convention. A drug company took a whole bunch of us to dinner there. Our waiter was entertaining--even made the Caesar salad from scratch (including the garlic, egg yolks & anchovies) right before our eyes. Came time for dessert, which was Bananas Foster (of course). To flambé it, he dipped his finger in rum, then "flicked his Bic," set the banana mixture aflame, and blew out the flame on his finger before sticking it in his mouth. (Yeah, alcohol burns at a low temperature, but it was still an impressive trick...which I won't try at home). My favorite restaurants there are Brennan's, Commander's Palace, Arnaud's, Emeril's, Compère Lapin and (speaking of pork) Cochon. No dress code, delightfully informal (slightly hipster) and insanely delish. Sit at the counter if you can and watch the chefs at work.

Got back last night from the Folk Alliance Region Midwest (FARM) conference at the Sheraton Iowa City. Unlike at FARM conferences held in other cities, the food was first-rate--Iowa City is committed to "farm-to-table" dining, and our group buffets were at the Sheraton's sister hotel Vetro. Among other dishes were fresh salads (including Caprese), sauteed veggies, salmon with Chardonnay sauce, roast Berkshire pork loin, shrimp scampi, butternut squash soup, various pastas, herbed "airline" chicken breast (not at all dry), bagels & lox, cheese blintzes with cherry compote and insanely wonderful mini-Danish (the pecan-pie croissant-dough ones were the best). There was also the aforementioned sushi bar, Java House (slow service but great coffees), a panoply of other restaurants and even a gourmet market with wine, gelato & coffee bars--and sandwiches & hot foods to eat out on the terrace or carry out. It was FARM's third & last year in Iowa City--next year it moves to Grand Rapids. Gonna be a tough act to follow.

Last night Bob & I went to the Palm for his belated birthday dinner. Split a "Gigi" salad (shrimp, eggs, bacon, green beans over lettuce & tomatoes). He had a 14-oz filet mignon, I had the 12-oz. Wagyu rib-eye (more marbled than prime, but its fat is mostly Omega-3s) that was very, very tender. Also Brussels sprouts, au gratin potatoes (I took a spoonful) and wild mushrooms. No dessert--neither the desire nor the room. Yes--of course we took home leftovers, and I just had mine for dinner.

The rest of tonight & tomorrow will be crazy-busy: practicing some of my Bar Show parts (including songs with which I'm unfamiliar), packing, doling out 5 days' worth of meds again (the worst part of packing, IMHO), mani-pedi, and rehearsal in the Loop from 5-9:30. Raw, cold & rainy--gonna splurge on Uber or Lyft both ways. But Vegas will have 5 days of warm (but not hot) sunshine. Haven't made any dinner reservations--will go with the flow. After the obligatory HGV upsell presentation, the guys want to spend time in the sports book. I don't gamble and there's no point in shopping--nothing I can buy there that I can't get here, and it doesn't make sense to overstuff our luggage with purchases. So I will swim & exercise, get spa treatments, and woodshed some music for the show. No point in renting a car--hate the traffic on the Strip, hate parking, hate endless waits for valets. Cabs are no pricier than in Chicago, anyway. Bummer that we're at the north end of the Strip, with nothing w/in reasonable walking distance, but that's what taxis are for. (We wanted the mid-Strip Elara, where we stayed the last time, but it wasn't available; we could have stayed at the Trump, of which HGV owns half and is very nice--we stayed there in 2014--but no way I'm setting foot inside any Trump property again, despite the 2-Michelin-star restaurant Sixteen being located inside the Chicago you-know-who tower).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 24, 2017 12:06PM - edited Oct 24, 2017 01:26PM by Cherry-sw

ChiSandy, always enjoy your posts, I just want to go to all these places inspite of being 10 hours flight away. Pecan-pies croissant-dough are the bes, believe it or not it is not called Danish in Denmark or Sweden for that matter, in Scandinavia it is called wienerbröd, the bread from Wien because the baker who started to bake those in Copehagen was from Austria. Bagels fennel seed with lox and cream cheese, and I stuff in it some leafy greens, whatever I have like rocket or basil, scallions if I have it. Love it. We have a great bakery downtown that bakes great bagels, surprisingly even great eclairs, another favourite but no place that makes cannoli.

Dinner today was a cauliflower bisque, a been-sausage-chicken breast casserole with spinage. I found this recipe posted in the beginning of this thread years ago. Turned out good, reminded of cassoulet plus tomato sauce, I should have used more sage. I also added two different chilies I grown myself. And fried four burgers for the girls, no way the youngest will eat the casserole, kids.

Cherry

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/21/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Oct 24, 2017 02:07PM MinusTwo wrote:

Oh cherry - chocolate eclairs. Be still my heart!!

I'm eating dunch (late lunch/early dinner) as I write. It is a large salad w/lettuce, kale, cabbage, carrots, etc, and a good sesame/ginger dressing. Since it's 4pm, I'm sure to be hungry again before midnight. Maybe leftover pork loin sliced very thin & piled on Hawaiian rolls. Maybe add some very thin slivers of tart apple & some Havarti or Gouda cheese. Hmmm.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 24, 2017 05:08PM carolehalston wrote:

The New Orleans tv news has been full of reports about Chef John Besh stepping down from his restaurant group company because of harassment charges made against him by a large number of women employees. Apparently an investigation was in process well before the recent Hollywood scandal erupted. DH thinks Besh's chef programs on PBS will be pulled.

Dinner tonight was leftover chicken sausage gumbo with brown rice. Side was mashed potato salad, a big dollop on the edge of the bowl of gumbo. I don't know what is going on with my lack of interest in tossed salad for at least a week.

I guess I will root for the Astros. DH will root for the Dodgers because they are National League. He is against the American League not having the pitcher bat. Ok....

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 24, 2017 06:22PM auntienance wrote:

Carole, I was very distressed to hear about John Besh, I thought he was one of the good guys. I know partners and sponsors are deserting him left and right.

Spent yesterday preparing plants to come inside ahead of the impending freeze this week. This involves checking them thoroughly for hitchhiking tree frogs that like to come in with them. Harvested an armful of basil and bunches of oregano. I dried the oregano in the microwave today. While I will make some pesto, most of the basil will sit around in water pitchers until they peter out. It will last quite a while. By the time it's unusable my indoor herb garden will be flourishing. I'm hoping the Thai basil does better indoors this year.

Tonight I made orange chicken for DH and kung pao for me, brown rice and (frozen) spring rolls.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 24, 2017 07:57PM MinusTwo wrote:

My SIL in law called & talked for 1-1/2 hours... so dinner was a baked potato that had just finished cooking when she called. By then it was after 9pm so I just re-heated it & didn't add anything else.

But she does want to see Roger McGuinn in November - and she will be in town. He was the lead singer for the BYRDS - think "Turn, turn, turn", or "Mr Tambourine Man" or the Fifth Dimension. She wants to spend a couple of hours earlier in the afternoon at a huge quilt festival downtown & then eat dinner before the show. I'm already tired, so we'll see what the ortho says Friday about my knee. Right now I couldn't do the walking.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 24, 2017 09:42PM ChiSandy wrote:

Met McGuinn at Folk Alliance a few years back when he was keynote speaker and honored for his early support of the Old Town School of Folk Music while still a young Chicago folkie. He mused that because he became a rocker, he’d now be persona non grata at the OTS. When I told him the school actually has a Byrdsensemble class, he was floored. His 1991 solo album “Back From Rio” is even better than his work with the Byrds.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 25, 2017 01:30AM Cherry-sw wrote:

carolehalston, I never tasted gumbo in my life but always wanted to since I bought Jamie Oliver’s ”Jamie’s America”, there is a chapter on NO food and a story about gumbo as a dish. Also recipes of different sorts. They sell ockra here in some stores that are selling Middle East food. Any particular recipe of yours you would like to share? New Orleans is definitely on my list of the places I would like to visit in US.

Dinner today will be fish gratain, a Swedish dish with cod that is covered with a variation of dill bechamel in an oven form and then a potato mash is squeezed from the cone alongside the perimeter like frosting on a cake. If I get lazy I may just scope it. With some kind of sallad.

Oct 25, 2017 09:31PM Lacey12 wrote:

Just caught up on this page...

Cherry I loved your pumpkin/squash memories, and your oatmeal plus every ingredient in the world cookies sound great!

Carole, somehow I have never heard of that chef, but I'm sorry that he has joined the club of shame. Always hard to see “icons" fall and to be reminded of the frailty of humans.

Minus, I hope you feel painfree enough to join your SIL at the concert!

illimae, I am always fascinated by the post Thankgiving sandwiches with all the sides in them. Given that I didn't feel I could even order an avocado BLT panini last nite before the Celtic's game (DH did and loved it!), I doubt that I'll be enjoying such a loaded sandwich . Sure looks good!

We were invited to have T-giv at DS2's this year (I think they are such early planners....I had yet to seriously think about the holiday), so DH and I decided today to roast one of the frozen boneless turkey breasts that we picked up at the turkey farm next to my sister's VT home when we visited there in August. It was delicious. I did a wet rub that included maple syrup, garlic and spices, which turned out well. Sides were a sweet potato for DH, salad with balsamic dressing, brussells sprouts, butternut squash, and a baguette I picked up at Whole Foods today. We will have turkey leftovers tomorrow with asparagus and salad greens with which our fridge is loaded.

Friday we are heading to CT to visit my stepmother, (to belatedly celebrate her 90th) and I picked up some tasty cheeses, crackers and Champagne for apps to enjoy before we head out to dinner with her. Then tomorrow I think I'll also pick up a small Boston Cream Pie from our local store to bring for dessert now that I know how much DH and I like that!

Sous vide is such a fascinating process to me. I will NOT be putting it on any wish list since I am the gal who still has an Insta-Pot sitting unwrapped in the basement. I have saved lots of NYT recipes to use when that gets unwrapped! This winter for sure. 😏

Isn't Susan our Sous Vide queen? And no, Carole, I have not yet heard from, nor been in touch with, Susan in person (just Facebook responses)since being back in town. Once things slow down a bit here, I would love to visit her if she feels like company. It seems like I spend all of my Fall catching up with people I have been out of touch with for months, as well as doc appts.

Okay, I promised myself to go to bed earlier than my crazy early AM hours tonight...and the promise is deteriorating, so I'd better get outta here.....

Have a good weekend everyone

Oct 26, 2017 12:55AM - edited Oct 27, 2017 01:21AM by ChiSandy

This a.m. in the Bubbles wine bar at O'Hare, along with a glass of bubbly (duh) we split a charcuterie box. Afternoon, went downstairs to the resort's grocery store & brought back a Vietnamese summer roll--shrimp, carrots & lettuce in rice paper.

We went to Carnevino in the Palazzo for dinner. The "Vino" part was excellent, but compared to our last visit the "Carne" part yielded mixed results. Gordy had a Berkshire pork shank, which was like osso bucco on steroids (in a good way). Bob & I shared the Florentine porterhouse. Amuse-buche were herb-&-cheese gougeres that were like little savory profiteroles. Apps were baked clams & arugula salad with goat cheese. Sides were rapini with pulled pork and delicata squash with hazelnuts & agrodolce. The steak, despite its hefty price tag, was a mixed bag. We ordered it mid-rare, but the strip side was rare-to-raw and the filet side of the bone overdone--and when the filet side began to cool off, it left a waxy feeling that was like eating crayons. We took leftovers back with us--perhaps they'll be better with a little microwaving (or a quick jaunt in the skillet). I was so tired I didn't even finish my glass of wine.

Oct 26, 2017 01:27PM MinusTwo wrote:

Lacey - oh I'll make it to the concert one way or another. As well as the Mercury Baroque concert this weekend. Glad to hear Susan is still posting on FaceBook. I did send her an email but haven't heard back yet. Thanks for describing the Turkey Dinner. I'll be driving to Dallas to have dinner with my friend Pat, who you met. She's pretty much up there most of the time to be closer to her daughter & only grandchild. But the daughter is going out of town for the holiday so I'll go see Pat's little pied-a-terre. My condition is that neither of us cook, so she's finding us a gourmet restaurant. I'll buy a breast for some other time.

Carole - I too was sorry to hear about Besh. How many restaurants did he own?

Nance - did you get all the plants in? I have a month or two before I have to deal with the plumarias (frangapani). Because of our climate, they stay in the ground from March - November (+). Then you literally just pull them up & toss them in the garage for 3 months. If you want to put paper bags on the roots you can, but I just wash off all the dirt & let them sit. This year's problem - several of the plants are now 10 feet tall.

Thought this sounded good from a magazine in the doc's office. Grilled Cheese w/Apples:Sliced whole grain bread w/maple mustard. Layer w/slices of sharp cheddar & apples. Grill. Actually the article was called An Apple A Day, and all five if the recipes are worth trying.

Oct 26, 2017 01:50PM auntienance wrote:

Minus, we did get all the plants in and the pond plants cut back and ready for the cover. I set the plants from the front porch in the front hallway for a night or two in case a hitchhiking frog came with them and sure enough, yesterday morning as I came downstairs I saw one of the little buggers hopping from the direction of the bathroom back toward his plant. I caught the little guy and put him back outside. I hope he's the only one but a few weeks ago we found one under the toilet seat in one of the upstairs bathrooms. I have no idea where that one came from, but it's not the first time it's happened. They're very cute with their little suction cup feet, but they seldom make it through the winter when they get caught inside. Lack of food I imagine.

Spent the afternoon making a batch of meatballs for the freezer so it's spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Last night was Rao's Lemon chicken. It was yum.

Oct 26, 2017 02:21PM DodgersGirl wrote:

MinusTwo-- thanks for the description of what you winterize your plumarias. We grow them, too. This is our 2nd year so they are not 10 ft tall (yet) but are much bigger than last year. Carried them into the garage last night. This weekend will decide where their winter home will be. Do you water the bare roots during the winter?

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/23/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 26, 2017 02:29PM auntienance wrote:

Minus, we did get all the plants in and the pond plants cut back and ready for the cover. I set the plants from the front porch in the front hallway for a night or two in case a hitchhiking frog came with them and sure enough, yesterday morning as I came downstairs I saw one of the little buggers hopping from the direction of the bathroom back toward his plant. I caught the little guy and put him back outside. I hope he's the only one but a few weeks ago we found one under the toilet seat in one of the upstairs bathrooms. I have no idea where that one came from, but it's not the first time it's happened. They're very cute with their little suction cup feet, but they seldom make it through the winter when they get caught inside. Lack of food I imagine.

Spent the afternoon making a batch of meatballs for the freezer so it's spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Last night was Rao's Lemon chicken. It was yum.

Oct 26, 2017 07:35PM Max_otto wrote:

I love the food pics, I savor the dishes, image the aroma, delightful, and pics of children have a wonderful appeal; had hoped to have grandchildren but still at zero for many years.

Anyway, this evening I thought I'd snack, J is out with a friend ; so my “dinner" was

2 oz of smoked salmon with peppercorns, good start but then it deteriorates, next a taffy apple, then 8 chips with salsa, and several chocolate cookies plus oolong tea.

I trying to prevent myself from eating another cookie, usually I don't keep them in the house. I think I'll put them in the downstairs freezer. I need duct tape when there are really good cookies around.

I have a SousVide Supreme and use it generally in the winter. How you seal the food is important, you can buy the bags but I get the rolls and make my own, it's easy to cut the sheet, remove air and seal; it's also cheaper and food is very moist, Veggies work well, and 1/2 “ fish fillets as well, meat or chicken but if you want them browned you have to sear them separately. All in all it's a healthy way to prepare food unlike my “dinner" tonight. I use spices before I seal the bag and sometimes a marinade.

Kathy,

PS

I also like the food descriptions, Sandy, I may try some of your restaurants. We travel a fair amount and eat at many fine and less fine restaurants, pubs, diners, etc. Simply said, I like interesting foods.

Dx 4/2015, Right, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 26, 2017 08:12PM eric95us wrote:

Four more days until retirement.

I moved it out one day to November 1. I was asking the HR folks about getting "the letter" so Sharon could go to her employer to get medical insurance outside of the normal times and I was told they couldn't generate that letter until I had actually retired. This is a problem because it takes several days to get the letter and my insurance would quit at the end of the night.

The HR person that I talked to this time asked why I had chosen October 31 and I said I was told this was what was required..and gave her the person's name that told me this..as well as the date and time this happened.

The HR lady found the same comment in my HR records, said that was wrong and recommended that I move the date to November 1 so that the insurance would go until the end of November. This would give a month time to take care of moving the benefits....so that is what I did.

I'll miss the job--it's usually kind of fun--but I won't miss the commute. This morning it took 1 hour 50 minutes to drive to work and tonight it was 2 hours 5 minutes to make the drive home. There were no wrecks...I heard nothing on the radio traffic reports and a friend said there were no wrecks mentioned on the traffic reporting websites....so it was just slow.

In other news, I got tired of my Windows 10 computer killing my internet connection for 10-15 minutes each time I turned on the computer (getting updates) and I got a Linux laptop up and running. Now I have complete control when I get the updates. The laptop isn't terribly powerful, but it's fast enough I don't have to wait..and it was free.

Once I'm retired, we won't have to do all our cooking on the weekend. I'll be able to cook a hot meal each night. I'm excited, but I think Sharon is even more excited. I'll also be able to catch up on the deferred house work/maintenance.

husband of slawson

Oct 26, 2017 08:22PM MinusTwo wrote:

DodgersGirl - Depends on your climate. Are you maybe in Southern CA? (so are we temporary enemies since I'm in Houston?)

For a number of years, I carefully put paper garbage bags over the roots before storing in the garage. And I did give them a very light drink in the middle of the winter. I think it would depend on the temperature where you live. It rarely goes below freezing for more than a night at a time, and not many of those. Note - they do have some light through the winter & are not in total darkness, but I don't know if that would matter either.

For the last several years I just washed off the roots and tossed them on the concrete floor. Also I used to let all the leaves fall off naturally after I'd stored. What a mess. A friend who spends more time reading on the Plumaria Society web sites told me he always cuts off the leaves outside, leaving about 1/2" of the stem on the stalks - so I've done that last few years. In 2016 I broke my arm on a trip in March. Needless to say I didn't get them out & plopped back in the ground much before the end of April - two months late for our climate. Two of the stalks were already blooming just lying on the concrete floor.

A couple of women neighbors took the husband of our deceased friend out for lunch today. It would be her birthday tomorrow during his first year without her. Lunch was a very mediocre hamburger (the venue was his choice). After we ate he drove all around the old area where he grew up and met her when they were in junior high. She was 14 & he was 2 years older. When she died earlier this year, they had been together for over 60 years. He told lots of stories & had a memory on just about every corner. I'm so glad he felt comfortable sharing those good thoughts.

Oct 27, 2017 02:01AM ChiSandy wrote:

Kathy, one of the restaurants in our neighborhood (Mango Pickle, which is Indian fusion with an Italian twist) just made the Michelin Bib Gourmand list. Another one I've been meaning to try is Angry Crab in W. Rogers Park.

Minus, I had planned to root for the Dodgers, figuring that since it's been 46 years since we left Brooklyn, it was time to forgive them for doing the same. But OTOH there was Hurricane Harvey, my several Houston area pals--and Gordy's GF is a Houston girl, so.....

Lunch today was at Julian Serrano Tapas in the Aria. We had Marcona almonds, grilled asparagus with romesco sauce, an artisanal charcuterie plate (chorizo Iberico, salami, & lomo de puerco with tomato bruschetta). Main course was paella mixta (chicken, lobster, shrimp, chorizo & mussels). We didn't do a paella back in 2015 because it was just the two of us. But this time we ordered it. Best I've had outside Barcelona (better than we had in Valencia)--the soccarat (the crunchy part of the rice on the bottom) was terrific. Later, as I roamed the Strip in search of tix for Santana at the House of Blues tonight, I was abducted and taken prisoner by a Krispy Kreme stand in the Planet Hollywood mall and was released only after I bought three chocolate-iced cream-filleds. (Don't judge). Late dinner was at Bouchon (Thomas Keller's outpost at the Venetian): my app was a salade Lyonnaise (much larger than I thought, so I divvied it up but kept the poached egg); Gordy had escargot, Bob had sausage over lentils. Bob's entree was steak frites; Gordy & I shared moules (mussels) frites--the leftover frites are in our fridge. Breakfast (maybe brunch) tomorrow will be shared leftovers. Too full for dessert.

Bob's been winning lately, but Gordy (not a gambler) gets discouraged if he loses two hands (or spins or rolls) in a row. Nonetheless, he's been having a good time exploring. We're seeing Elton John tomorrow night. Turns out even the SRO tix for Santana had been sold out for weeks. Sat. night we're seeing Dana Carvey & Lon Lovitz. We'd have preferred Bill Maher, but we'd be flying home by showtime on the 29th.

Oct 27, 2017 05:53AM DodgersGirl wrote:

MinusTwo- thanks for the additional info on plumarias during winter. I did grow up in LA county. But not longer live in Calif. I am in zone 5b where it does freeze.

I fell in love with the plumaria when I made my first trip to Hawaii and was excited to try to grow a version of them at home. Glad they survived last winter, hoping for same results this winter. Mine are no where near 10 feet tall though! Yet.

Oct 27, 2017 11:54AM carolehalston wrote:

Cherry, gumbo is easy to cook. You don't have to include okra. Some people do. Some don't. I believe the African name for okra was gumbo and slaves brought okra seeds with them and introduced southerners to okra.

Here's what I do. Finely chop a large onion and several pods of garlic. Sometimes I also chop some celery and some parsley, if I have it on hand. Simmer a whole chicken that has been cut into pieces and the skin removed (or a large package of chicken legs) with the onions, garlic, about a cup of chopped okra, and a small can of tomatoes or half a small can if you don't like that much tomatoes in your gumbo. Add some salt and black pepper and cayenne pepper, all to taste.

When the chicken is tender, remove it and set aside to cool. When cooled, you will remove the bones. Keep the chicken meat in a container to add back to the broth later.

At this point, you want to add a dark roux to the chicken broth to thicken it slightly and give flavor. You can make an oil and flour roux in a skillet on the stove, if you wish. It requires constant stirring and should be a dark brown color. You can also make a dry roux, also in a skillet or on a sheet pan in the oven. It, too requires constant stirring and you have to be careful not to toast it to too dark a color. I used to make my roux this way and when the flour got to a caramel color, I would mix a little with water to check the color. Now I go the lazy route and use a dry roux that is available in the supermarkets in the Louisiana foods section. I mix 3 or 4 tablespoons with water and whisk it into the bubbling broth. The amount used depends on the desired thickness of the broth.

At this point I add the smoked sausage, which is usually an andouille sausage. I slice the sausage into bite-sized medallions. If it looks really fatty, I might cook it in a skillet to remove some of the fat. Or I might just add the sausage to the broth. Usually about a lb. of sausage.

Simmer the broth for 30 min. or so. Taste and add salt if needed and add black or cayenne pepper. Add the cooked chicken to the broth and serve over rice. Have a container of gumbo file on the table to sprinkle on your serving. Some people like to add chopped green onions as well.

My mother added the gumbo file to the pot.

Some people like a big scoop of potato salad in their bowl of gumbo.

It's time for my lunch and I'm planning to warm up a bowl of leftover gumbo cooked as I described!

Seafood gumbo features shrimp and hard-shell crabs and in some cases oysters.

Dinner tonight will be a beef and broccoli dish made with flank steak.

My attitude toward a sous vide is "iffy." I don't feel a need for a different method of cooking. Stove top and oven are my preferred methods. During the summer, a grill substitutes as stove top and oven.

Oct 27, 2017 12:56PM Cherry-sw wrote:

carolehalston, thank you for the recipe, I feel I am ready to cook a gumbo. I have been reading on seriouseats.com as well and Kenji described how to make a roix in the microwave. I really want to do it with okra but I have to go to the oriental store for that, I do nog think I can find it here, not even canned. And it has to be served with rice according to Jamie Oliver.

I am in active treatment right now and I am constantly tired so I bought chicken liver and fried it the pan with some onions, both for lunch and for dinner, I need to do something about my blood counts. For the rest of the family my mom prepared Russian chicken sallad, very tasty, I will eat it tomorrow

Cherry

Page 1050 of 1,058 (31,720 results)