We are 212,261 members in 82 forums discussing 151,836 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1133 of 1,134 (34,013 results)

Posts 33961 - 33990 (34,013 total)

Oct 10, 2018 10:11AM SpecialK wrote:

Thanks! DH grilled the steaks, but I have to confess I did bake the potatoes and put the loaded parts in bowls so everyone could make their own, and I did make the salad - but used the baby butter lettuce that is packaged, pre-crumbled goat cheese and pepitas that come in a little container, lol! Easy on all fronts. I love that you guys wanted me to have a night off!

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Oct 10, 2018 10:45AM eric95us wrote:

Happy birthday, Special.

husband of slawson

Oct 10, 2018 02:24PM SpecialK wrote:

eric - thanks! We are watching video from PCB - its looks pretty crazy there right now.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Oct 10, 2018 02:36PM carolehalston wrote:

The tortillas are made and refrigerated. I made an enchilada sauce using a recipe I saved and had not used. Not sure that I like it as well as the canned sauce I usually buy. Recipe called for 4 T. chili powder. Seemed a lot so I cute it to 2 T. May add some chipotle chili powder but have to be careful not to burn dh's mouth! LOL. The next step is poaching a chicken breast in seasoned water. Last step will be assembly and heating the dish while melting cheese.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 11, 2018 01:07AM eric95us wrote:

Inbound....

husband of slawson

Oct 11, 2018 08:11AM bedo wrote:

For dinner salad and bread. I went to a retirement seminar and left before the main course because I had to get my 10,000 steps in

Today I will get the results of my 2 biopsies. I asked the MD to call me at work because I'm working till 430 today and tomorrow and then the weekend.I'll be fine.

Already the dumb comments have begun....

Friend #1 And.. rolling eyes, when did you decide that calling you at work was a good idea? (shut up)

Friend #2 You'll look like Swiss cheese! (shut up)

DD Just get new ones (hummm.)

Hope everyone has a good day

Oct 11, 2018 10:29AM MinusTwo wrote:

Bedo - holding you in my thoughts as you wait for your biopsy results.

Hope everyone in the path of Michael is OK.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 11, 2018 04:36PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Have friends in Port St. Joe. Last I heard from them was yesterday morning when the winds were starting to kick up and water was coming up in a canal. Praying they are safe.

On the dinner front, it’s soup and sandwich tonight. Still have a bit of the stomach bug I woke up with yesterday.

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired!

Oct 11, 2018 07:16PM MinusTwo wrote:

Mommy - sorry about your stomach bug. Hope it doesn't linger.

I went to Costco today and their rotisserie chickens are the best - huge & plump & nicely seasoned. So dinner was nibbling chicken from the wings and the leg bones and eating small pieces as I stripped the bird. I'll have chicken again tomorrow and package the rest for the freezer. Also finished off the leftover yellow squash w/onion & garlic.

Yesterday I baked one of the San Francisco Boudin Sourdough rounds that I'd taken from the freezer. They pre-bake the bread so you only have to finish it for 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees. Dinner yesterday was 3 pieces of fresh bread with lots of butter. YUM.

Eric - hope things are OK wherever you are.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Oct 11, 2018 08:34PM ChiSandy wrote:

Hoping for mercy on the part of Michael for those in its path.

Last night Bob came home from Cooper's Hawk Winery, where a drug rep took his office staff to dinner. He stuffed himself on the appetizers and brought home two entrees: parmesan-crusted beef tenderloin medaiiions with asparagus, and glazed salmon with Southwest slaw (and scalloped potatoes with both). Had the salmon and half the slaw last night. He also brought home two portions of dark chocolate cake with strawberries. I had half mine last night and the other half an hour ago. Headed out to Target to pick up some last-minute stuff before packing tomorrow for our trip Saturday. Will find out how late Bob will be working tonight, and whether he'll have had dinner, before I decide whether to eat the medallions or save them for him.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 12, 2018 07:49AM carolehalston wrote:

Dinner last night was stuffed yellow bell peppers from the freezer and baked sweet potato. Salad was sliced tomatoes and cucumbers with crumbles of blue cheese. The bell pepper stuffing with wild rice was very good.

Tonight's dinner may be a home-made pizza.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 12, 2018 01:28PM Lacey12 wrote:

Eric, I imagine you are very busy given what we see on the media coverage of the Panhandle area. Thank you, again, and hope you are keeping your strength up. i bet if Special were not headed West, she’d probably cater a meal down to you!

Belated Happy Birthday, Special! And have a wonderful trip! I recall how much you enjoy those trips back to CA.

Since returning home from the lake, I have had zero motivation to food shop or cook...so have been squeaking by with anything in the fridge. Planned to shop yesterday, but torrential rains were a deterrent (not that I needed one). So I had a mini crisis at dinner prep time...ultimately foraged through the freezer and found three meatballs I made last year for just this type of night. Amazingly they had no freezer burn, so I nuke defrosted them, heated them up in a Rao’s tomato basil sauce, mixed with some leftover farfalle noodles I had frozen a few weeks ago and fresh mozzarella, and called it a casserole! DH never even knew what a scofflaw I was. Had he been out, I would have loved to do a peanut butter and fruit dinner! But glad those frozen meatballs surfaced. Minus, I envied your bread dinner! I always think of your son’s thoughtful gift when I read about your freezer treasures.

Tonight we are going to visit my friend (the one we visit at her house on the Vineyard) who just sold her localhouse and moved to an apartment. We’ll either take her out to dinner or have take-out at her place. And tomorrow I’d better get to the food store! Just seem to have lost interest in food prep of late.

Hoping for good news on the biopsy, Bedo.

Oct 12, 2018 03:46PM eric95us wrote:

Thank you.

husband of slawson

Oct 12, 2018 04:07PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Think I need to make something hearty to help me get my strength back from being down with a stomach bug. Time to do a dive into the freezer for dinner.

Oct 12, 2018 06:22PM carolehalston wrote:

Looking forward to homemade pizza tonight. The dough for two crusts is in the refrigerator. I used 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, 2 cups of unbleached all purpose, 1 packet of pizza yeast, 1 tsp salt, 1 T. honey and 1 T. olive oil. Oh, and 1 1/2 cups warm water. This is Mary Ann Esposito's recipe. I would have used white whole wheat instead of the all purpose but there was none at my Winn Dixie. Its offering of flour indicates that it's not an important ingredient for WD customers.

I made turkey Italian sausage this afternoon and and pre-cooked it. Also cooked fresh sliced mushrooms in butter. Another topping will be Kalamata olives. Yum. Yum. I will probably make a romaine salad as a side. Or maybe not.

Today was a gorgeous day, starting out in the 50's and ending up in the 70's. If only we had months of this same weather.

Oct 12, 2018 10:02PM MinusTwo wrote:

Bedo - hey girl - we're thinking about you and those test results. Hope you check in soon.

Dinner was bagged Asian salad mix with avocado & chicken added. Meals will be more hit & miss than usual. My SIL has been in ICU since Sunday. Based on intuition - I drove down to see her this morning even though she is now sedated and likely didn't know I was there. Her husband & children decided this afternoon after I left to transition to Hospice & pull the trach tube. She will not be able to breathe with out the machine, and hospice is estimating about two days. I never had a sister and she never had a sister, so we decided to drop the "in-law" more than 30 years ago and just be sisters. I am the godmother to her two kids in their late 30s. This is very hard

Oct 12, 2018 10:08PM auntienance wrote:

Oh Minus, I'm so sorry. (((Hugs))) to you

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 12, 2018 10:45PM MinusTwo wrote:

Thanks Nance. My nephew just called. They pulled the tube and she slipped away within an hour.

Oct 12, 2018 10:46PM auntienance wrote:

Minus, tears for you and your family.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Oct 12, 2018 10:56PM DodgersGirl wrote:

Minus—. So sorry for your loss. Cyber hugs

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 12, 2018 11:00PM eric95us wrote:

Hugs Minus.

Busy here.

husband of slawson

Oct 12, 2018 11:12PM illimae wrote:

So sorry for your loss minus.

Had to put my last baby down from a litter of 4, mom, dad and his 3 brothers and sister passed within the last 5 years. He was 14, which is amazing for a bulldog, been sad and unmotivated to cook at all. Hoping a getaway to the cabin will help me get refocused.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 12, 2018 11:34PM DodgersGirl wrote:

Illimae— sorry for the fur baby loss.

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/4/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/10/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 10/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 13, 2018 01:58AM - edited Oct 13, 2018 01:59AM by Lacey12

Oh, Minus, I am so sad for you. Losing a “chosen”sister has to be so painful. Sending hugs to you.

And hugs to you, too, Illimae. I always remember the words of our lovely vet shared with me when I was having our first mini schnauzer put down, that for as many times that she has had to say good bye to her animals over the years, it never gets easier. They are a big part of the fabric of our families. Cute pooch! Hope your trip to the cabin feels comforting.

Yes, Eric, I imagine you are wildly busy. Sending spirited energy your way.

Carole, your pizza sounds delicious!! And I'm impressed that you make your own turkey sausage. I saw some delicious sounding pizza choices on the menu at our friend's neighborhood Italian restaurant tonight, but resisted the pull and had a shaved brussells sprouts salad with chicken added. Feeling deprivedly virtuous! Fortunately, my friend's daughter joined us for dinner so I was busy enjoying catching up with her and paid less attention to our food

Oct 13, 2018 09:27AM carolehalston wrote:

Hugs, Minus. Such a huge loss for you and your chosen sister's family.

My pizza was too good for my own good. I pigged out.

Lacey, several years ago I purchased half a pig from a MN farmer. Among the cuts of pork were quite a few packages of ground pork. I looked up home-made Italian sausage and learned that it was a simple matter of adding spices and seasoning. Fennel, red pepper flakes (to taste), onion and garlic powder, s & p. So easy. Now I use ground turkey with low fat content because of my weight control issues.

Michael was a monster. The devastation is terrible.

Oct 13, 2018 08:54PM Beaverntx wrote:

Carole, I too make my own turkey sausage! The recipe I found calls for red, white, and black pepper -- way too peppery for the palates in my house. I'm still tweaking it a bit but add salt, black pepper, sage, fennel seed, garlic powder, ground cloves, nutmeg & allspice (just a little bit of each of the last three). We like this sausage with scrambled eggs and on our homemade pizza. Have also used it in recipes that call for crumbled crisp bacon. Glad to know someone else is doing this...

Diagnosed at age 77-- dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 14, 2018 04:13AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Going to make a beef roast, roasted butternut squash and a salad for tonigh

Oct 14, 2018 09:04AM carolehalston wrote:

Beaver, I may try adding a little sage to my mixture.

Last night's dinner was eggplant casserole out of the freezer and a romaine salad with tomato, cucumber, avocado, and blue cheese.

Today I'm working at the Woodworkers Guild tent at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Show. So I'll be tired tonight. Dinner will be easy. Will thaw out some fish brought home from MN.

Oct 14, 2018 10:00AM auntienance wrote:

I often make my own breakfast sausage using a recipe from Alton Brown that I tweaked to suit our taste. We like it a little spicy. I haven't made Italian sausage though the meatballs I make use all the same spices. I've never liked turkey burgers, turkey bacon and the like but I might try my own sausage with it.

I have no idea what dinner is, although I have a thick rib eye ready to sous vide. I also have half of a container of marinara thawed that I need to use in something.

Illimae, I'm so sorry about your fur baby. They leave such a hole in your heart.

Oct 14, 2018 10:28PM eric95us wrote:

I can't say "wildly busy". But, "quite busy" would be accurate.

We're set up at the 'closest to the damage zone' hospital and the number of folks coming here to the emergency dept has increased to much higher than normal levels...so we're here to augment the hospital's emergency dept capacity.

We're doing two 12-1/2 hour shifts a day, 7 days a week, so food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) has been pizza, cookies, coffee and donuts.

husband of slawson

Page 1133 of 1,134 (34,013 results)