Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 05:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 05:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1341 of 4,106 (41,057 results)

Apr 5, 2013 10:25PM moonflwr912 wrote:

Did something really bad today. Went to Cheesecake factory. Ate. Yes, finished with cheesecake. All because the ultrasound for the lump was "unremarkable" so treated myself to it. Was a very bad day yesterday, onc found lump, DFIL passed. So relieved today.
Much love to all.

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/8/2011 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 1/17/2012 Reconstruction (Left) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/13/2012 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/10/2012 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 8/14/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Surgery 9/4/2013 Reconstruction (Left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (Right): Saline implant

Apr 5, 2013 11:04PM eric95us wrote:

Moon, why is cheesecake bad?  Is it possible to get enough cheesecake?

Welcome 2nd_time... Are you sure you haven't been spying in our house? All you describe is so familiar.... :-)

It's spring here in Arizona, but probably would seem like summer to anyone else...mid 90F temperatures today.  The evenings are beautiful (mid 80F range), so we grilled hamburgers and ate on the back porch.  Unfortunately the corn isn't ready here yet.  In about 6 more weeks, the local "corn stands" will be brimming with corn that was picked earlier in the day.  I can't wait!

Eric

husband of slawson

Apr 5, 2013 11:52PM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Hi Eric,
I think anyone with growing teens goes through these things. Just another stage. My new easy fav dish is chicken tikka masala, rice and Indian-style veggies, thanks to Pinterest. My parents are visiting next week, which is cool, but Dad is diabetic so have to plan meals carefully.

Your weather sounds wonderful! Who says it doesn't rain in California? Sprinkled this morning in OC (enough to use the wipers for a while). Brightened up by afternoon, and somewhat humid.

Can hardly wait for the corn stands to open here. Just strawberry stands (and more are disappearing yearly).

Have a great weekend everyone!

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Apr 6, 2013 12:35AM eric95us wrote:

OC and Strawberries...southern Orange County?????

As a kid, when my parents would go to Camp Pendelton, we'd stop at one (or more) of the strawberry stands so my mom could get fresh strawberries.  I was in that area a couple of years ago and most of the Strawberry "patches" had been replaced by blacktop, cement and houses.

Eric

husband of slawson

Apr 6, 2013 01:00AM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Yup, that's the popularity of the "OC" (never heard that called that before when I was growing up there). Most strawberry patches are gone now, hard to find them any more. Actually, found a couple in northern OC.  

We used to camp in the Trabucco Canyon area when I was a teen -- kind of where the news story has been of late. 

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Apr 6, 2013 08:19AM carberry wrote:

Hello everyone and welcome to 2nd time. We were in NC for a short time looking at homes for retirement...busy time to say the least! I seemed to have developed a slight cold while there and have been coughing ever since...really scaring me...I cough up a lung I swear. Well, I went to my mom's to paint her living room and dining room for her and she heard me coughing and said "here, try one of my allegra" so I did and and never coughed the rest of the day!  I have never had allergies...and I know they say its going to be a bad year, but really? we still have snow! Going to buy some Allegra.

Having a pizza party tonight, to watch the SU game!  Go 'cuse'

Sounds like everyone is doing well and getting ready for some outdoor time.  Oh What to do with the bunny when I plant my garden?

Carrie Dx 10/25/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Apr 6, 2013 08:37AM - edited Apr 6, 2013 11:14AM by auntienance

Carrie, welcome back. I feel your pain about the cough. I'm allergic to mold, so I have it all year round. In addition to claritin, I also take two different nasal sprays and a decongestant. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not developing asthma.

2nd, tikka masala is one of my faves too. Last nights corn was not local by any means. Won't get that till summer. It wasn't that great, more like a promise of things to come :-)

Monica, cheesecake seems like the perfect treat after a week like yours. Glad your lump turned out to be nothing.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 6, 2013 08:52AM carolehalston wrote:

Monica, great news on the "unremarkable" finding!  Every now and then we have to indulge and celebrate.

Carrie, did you see anything promising in retirement homes? 

This morning I have time to make some artisan bread.  The biga (starter) is in the refrigerator.

Lacey, I'm still using my old blender for the healthy smoothies.  I have enough Capital One rewards points to buy a Vitamix but haven't sprung for it yet.  The old blender does pretty well now that I've learned the best procedure.  The chia seeds are supposed to keep me from getting hungry but my digestive system must be super efficient.  The only food that keeps me satisfied a little longer is fat, which is why peanut butter on a slice of toast is one of my breakfast choices. 

It amuses me that so many Americans in all sections of the country are crazy about corn!  Gift of the native Americans.  I grew corn in my garden some years ago when I had a big garden.  The best time to eat corn is as soon as possible after it's picked off the stalk.  I used to eat it raw.  Shuck an ear and take a big bite!  DH likes his corn best cut off the cob. 

Sunny today with high temp. in the 70's.  Good day for the cookout/potluck picnic.  All the trees except the pecan trees are in full leaf, that pretty spring shade of green.  The pecan trees are the last to leaf out.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 6, 2013 10:54AM - edited Apr 6, 2013 11:01AM by bedo

White corn raw. Yum!  Dinner has been food from India Restaurant delivered from Foodler 3 times this week.  I can't help it. I'm addicted.

Bobo, I think you had your surgery yesterday.  Now, sit!  Lie down!  Stay!  Good Bobo.  Gooooood Giiiirrrlll!  That's a Good Bobo.  SO please take good care of her, I know you will.  My thoughts are with you and I am praying for healing for you.

Apr 6, 2013 03:46PM auntienance wrote:

Carol, I envy you, we have no leaves on anything.

Good to hear from you bedo. Hope bobo's surgery went well.

Tonight is enchiladas verdes with Spanish rice and refried black beans. I also have a ripe avocado that I'll dress with some lime juice and salt just for me. DH doesn't do avocados (lucky me!)

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1341 of 4,106 (41,057 results)

Scroll to top button