Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1343 of 4,156 (41,551 results)

Apr 7, 2013 01:12PM auntienance wrote:

Maine pancake

2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk (I use skim)
1/2 cup flour
Pinch of salt
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter

Use a skillet that can go in the oven, preferably cast iron. I use a 10 inch.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk eggs and milk together. Sift, flour, salt, and nutmeg into the liquids. Whisk just until mixed. Batter may be slightly lumpy. (You can mix this the night before and refrigerate. Let come to room temp and whisk before using) Set mixture aside.

Melt butter in skillet in oven. When butter is melted pour egg mixture into skillet. Place skillet into oven and bake for 12-14 minutes until puffy and golden.

Serve immediately. Pancake will deflate shortly after baking.

Optional toppings: fresh cut up fruit, maple syrup,

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 7, 2013 01:17PM auntienance wrote:

2nd, another great way to fix Brussels sprouts that I like as well as roasted, is to shred them then saute them with bacon. Since you are on pinterest, I have a recipe on one of my boards (Nancy Yonker) if you're interested.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 7, 2013 01:52PM lacey12 wrote:

Nance, Can I also follow your pinterest entries? A picture is worth a thousand words! :)

Apr 7, 2013 02:10PM auntienance wrote:

Certainly lacey, but I warn you, they're kind of a mess. I really need to get on and organize them and delete some pins that I tried and didn't work out.

Apr 7, 2013 02:42PM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Nancy.... Thanks SO much for the recipe! Can't wait to try! (Will have to wait anxiously as my parents coming in tomorrow for a week & Dad I'd diabetic). Will definitely check out Pinterest!

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Apr 7, 2013 05:47PM LuvRVing wrote:

I made a baked apple pancake for breakfast this morning along with good bacon.  Went to a baby shower this afternoon that was scheduled from 1-6 and it was co-ed.  My DD and I lasted two hours, that was long enough.  I can't imagine what they're doing right now???

Carole - I love good sweet corn.  I had a small piece at a restaurant in Phoenix and I was surprised that it was sweet, even if it was a bit mushy.  I wonder if it was a frozen product...I may have to buy a package to try because we're a long way from fresh corn season.

Michelle - read my blog at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com - Be kind to one another! Dx 6/15/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 3/29/2011, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 4/21 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 7, 2013 07:23PM SeasideMemories wrote:

Moon,

So sorry to hear about your FIL. It's never easy to lose a parent even if it is by marriage... Sorry that you had the additional scare of a new lump and so glad that it turned out to be 'unremarkable'.

Just as an odd aside... I remember feeling a little offended when I first read my report calling my nipple area 'unremarkable'... I thought wellllll, I beg to differ....lol! All kidding aside... Great news and hope you breathe easier!

Bedo,

Glad to hear from you! Your exchange student recommendation had me laughing out loud!! There is a period in life that the teens tend to go through where that would seem to be the only viable solution!! Too funny! Good news is they do tend to shake it off and become decent human beings....

Carrie,

Did you find a place in NC that would work for retirement?

Carole,

I second Lacey in that it is a really great thing you are doing in helping those kids to have some sense of normalcy while their Mom works on getting better. I see a lot of kids in our school district that are doing the best they can given that they are basically raising themselves... My heart aches for them! Just wish that the parents had maybe thought things through a bit better...

Nancy,

If the tenderloin w/ mushroom cream sauce turns out good, would love that recipe! DH and I were just at the garden center today looking at all the different options as to what to grow and I think I'm going to try potatoes for the first time this year... Going to plant them in a clean garbage can based on lots of instructions I've found online! So that will be my experimental crop this year...lol!

Michelle,

I'm with you... 2 hours at a bridal shower is plenty!!! 5 hours?? Ay yi yi.....

Dx 5/8/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 7, 2013 08:51PM auntienance wrote:

Seaside, it's pretty good. The sauce is very stroganoff like.

1 lb. beef tenderloin tips, cubed
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. black pepper
Kosher salt
1/4 c. chopped shallots
1 Tbs. minced garlic
1/2 cup dry marsala
1 cup heavy cream
2 oz. cream cheese
2 Tbs. stone ground mustard
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
minced fresh parsley

Heat oil over high heat in a non stick skillet. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to skillet and sear until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate.

Add mushrooms to the same skillet; cover until they release their liquid. Remove lid and continue cooking until mushrooms brown and liquid evaporates, 7-9 min. Add shallots and garlic to skillet. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 min.

Deglaze skillet with marsala; reduce by half. Reduce heat to medium and stir in cream, cream cheese and mustard. Simmer sauce until thickened, 3-5 min. Stir in lemon juice, thyme and any meat juices that have accumulated. Serve sauce and beef over noodles and garnish with parsley.

Apr 7, 2013 09:30PM SeasideMemories wrote:

Thanks Nancy!! That recipe sounds delicious... It's on my 'try soon' list!

Dx 5/8/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 7, 2013 10:58PM inspiredbydolce wrote:

That sounds like a very yummy brussel sprouts recipe!  I can't have bacon, so I'm wondering if you have any other simple simple brussel sprout recipes?  We just bought a bag of them from Trader Joe's and haven't attempted to cook them yet. I've never cooked them before, I don't even know if I've ever eaten them before.  lol

Tonight for dinner will just be a bunch of steamed veggies.  I'm on high alert for MadMen Season Premiere, which is starting in 1 hour, so I'm aiming for a non-complicated meal. 

After breast cancer, it's Plan B (as follows): Low-fat, low sugar, fish, veggies, whole grains, fruits, water, green tea; 6 hrs moderate-vigorous exercise weekly; and Metformin. If you need info about Metformin to discuss with your Onc, PM me. Dx 12/27/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 1/4/2012 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 2/2/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/30/2012 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right)

Page 1343 of 4,156 (41,551 results)

Scroll to top button