Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 4121 of 4,155 (41,542 results)

Jun 20, 2022 08:49AM goldie0827 wrote:

Wallycat, corn on the cob with poached eggs?

Illimae, would love the creamy brussel sprouts recipe please. They look so yummy! Wishing you all the best on your next treatment and keeping that nausea away.

Took me 45 minutes to drive my 6 mile dirt road, which usually takes 25. The bowels were obstructed. Scar tissue had grown around the bowels and twisting them. Also part of the bowel had adhered to my abdominal wall. Emergency surgery, NG tube down my nose, throat and into the stomach. You should have seen what was coming out of there! I will leave there, since this is a food thread! Incision about 8". Surgeon said I could come back in 2 weeks, that means staples will have been in for 3 weeks. I'm thinking that is way too long! Dinner was a tuna fish sandwich and some chips.

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 20, 2022 10:31AM wallycat wrote:

Goldie, the corn was with the rockfish and roasted cauliflower. Tonight, I'll use up the leftover rice, mushroom gravy, add what fish we have left (not much) and flesh it out with a poached egg over it, almost like a "bowl" presentation, with whatever veggies are leftover or I can find.
I can't believe your ordeal. I'm glad you're on the other side of the situation and hope you recuperate quickly.

Illimae, I'm sending good thoughts that your next treatment will be easier and that it kills those nasty cancer cells.

Language question: is it a regional thing to say "tuna fish?" No one ever says salmon fish, sardine fish or grouper fish...or do they?

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jun 20, 2022 11:20AM - edited Jun 20, 2022 11:23AM by minustwo

Wally - interesting question about tuna. I was raised in CA. Have lived in Utah, New Mexico & Texas. I've stayed with friends or family in all of the Western states - including long stretches in Hawaii. When talking about sandwiches, my Mom usually said tuna fish. Salad might be tuna salad or tuna fish salad. But of course if you're going to have a lovely tuna steak, it's just tuna. I love word use questions.

Edited to add, perhaps it has something to do with whether it is fresh fish or canned tuna?

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 20, 2022 12:32PM - edited Jun 20, 2022 12:34PM by eric95us

Tuna, can refer to a prickly pear.

And in some parts of the US (Brooklyn), asking for tuna, might result in a piano tuner showing up. :-)

husband of slawson

Jun 20, 2022 08:15PM minustwo wrote:

Love it Eric - LOL.

102 degrees so no cooking. Dinner was a serving of a 2 avocado guacamole with Rotel Tomatoes & Chilies since I didn't have any fresh tomatoes. I still added a large dollop of Mrs. Renfro's Green Chili Salsa. On the side - 1/2 a cup of leftover fried rice. Served with HEB Deli Rosemary Crackers and the last of a Yellowtail wine (not to be dignified with a name & should have been poured it down the sink). Desert was two of Mrs.Tate's Buttercrunch Cookies. If you haven't tried Mrs.Tate's cookies yet, they are delicious. My BFF swears by the coconut. But VERY expensive so take your credit card.

Goldie- so glad you are home & starting to recover. What a long, unexpected episode. I trust you are treating yourself gently !!!!!

Jazzy - I hope you're just changing positions and not changing employers?? As we head towards retirement, major changes are NOT fun.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 20, 2022 09:30PM goldie0827 wrote:

Eric, is something going over my head? Which isn't unusual. My DH always told me I needed a zoom net to catch those things and then determined my "zoom" net had a hole in it. Then he would tease me and call me scarecrow, and tell me everything will be ok, we'll get you some more straw! I've not heard of tuna being called prickly pear. I do get the piano tuner tho, I caught that one!

Minus, I don't think Jazzy posts here. You're in the wrong lounge, I mean on the wrong thread. Musta been the Yellowtail!

Loopy

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 20, 2022 11:07PM eric95us wrote:

Spanish word for the fruit of a prickly pear cactus.

husband of slawson

Jun 20, 2022 11:32PM - edited Jun 20, 2022 11:33PM by illimae

Goldie, I found the recipe pretty quick, enjoy!

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External Local Metastases 10/20/2017 Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External Local Metastases 4/18/2018 Brain Radiation Therapy 5/23/2019 External Local Metastases 5/23/2019 Brain Surgery 1/22/2020 Radiation Therapy 2/17/2020 External Local Metastases 2/17/2020 Brain Radiation Therapy 7/20/2020 External Local Metastases 7/20/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 12/4/2020 External Local Metastases 12/4/2020 Brain Targeted Therapy Tukysa (tucatinib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 21, 2022 02:27AM chisandy wrote:

I always thought "tuna fish" referred to tuna salad sandwiches; when used in tapas, vitello tonnato, salade Niçoise, pan bagnat or pissaladière, even canned tuna is referred to as just "tuna." And the fresh stuff? Around these parts, it's "ahi," whether seared, tartare, poke or carpaccio. And Eric, in Boston as well as Brooklyn, "tuna" is the other component, besides "amplifyah." in a "receivah."

Last night I made Caesar salad (not grilled), and a grilled grass-fed bison Polish sausage (back in Brooklyn, we called them "specials") on a keto bun with sauerkraut and kosher-deli mustard--working my way through a jar of Ba-Tamp-Te. Then Bob brought home wings (fried "naked" with sauce on the side) with celery sticks & ranch.

Brunch today (after 3pm, since I left the house at 10 sans breakfast or coffee and my podiatrist appt. out in the near-boonies took forever) was a fried egg, and one slice each of bacon & low-carb/hi-fiber toast. Tonight I skillet-blistered shishito peppers, then made a charcuterie plate with country paté, jamòn Iberico (a gift from the kids), very ripe Brie, and 10-yr-old cheddar. Followed it up with some more wings & celery. Speaking of veg., I harvested my first tomato--a large cherry that had ripened to orange, so I rescued it from the squirrels. It's ripening on the sill.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 21, 2022 08:57AM aussie12 wrote:

Goldie sorry to hear about your illness and surgery. I have bowel cancer and have had 3 surgeries on my bowel and it's not nice at all. Hope that you recover quickly.

Have been eating spaghetti Bolognaise, chicken patties, wedges and vegies. Not very exciting but I don't have much taste sometimes.

Dx 2/2/2012, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/16/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Hormonal Therapy 5/13/2012 Surgery 3/7/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander

Page 4121 of 4,155 (41,542 results)

Scroll to top button