Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Gardening, anyone?

MagicalBean
MagicalBean Member Posts: 192

I'm still under a ton of snow, and it's only 9 degrees today, but I just signed up for our county's Master Gardening program. Now I can't wait to dig in the dirt.

I have little knowledge and hope these classes help. I love flowers and plants but do not have a clue what to do with them. I'd love to hear from others who enjoy this hobby.

Comments

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831

How exciting!  I have a friend who is a Master Gardener.  I love messing around with plants.  Some make it and others don't,,,,,  I try to find ones that are tolerant to this climate and hope for the best!

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96

I used to love to garden too. But I don't have the strength in my arm anymore after treatment. It's one thing I miss most

• MagicalBean

glennie-hoping for the best has always been my method too. But, now that I'm retired, I need to get moving and I think this will be a way to get exercise and learn something.

lbrewer-I'm sorry you've had to give it up. Do you have house plants? I have a few, but we have 6 cats so few plants survive their antics.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363

I am wallowing in moss. I filled 2 recycle bins already. I planted 4 new rose bushes. Gardening is great I imagine each weed I pull is like working at destroying cancer.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027

I love my garden too, but I have been fighting the birds, for the fruit off my trees, during this Australian Summer. One of my favorite things is my vegetable patch full of herbs and salad greens.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591

Living on an acreage, I don't think I have a choice lol. I have a few flower gardens. Fruit & veggie gardens as well. I scaled back on the veggie garden last year to recuperate yet still managed to put down 405 cups of fruit & veggies in the freezer.

• corgi09
    corgi09 Member Posts: 9

We had 11 inches of snow yesterday and I feel bad I haven't been able to get to my grasses to cut them back. I actually work in a garden center, no expert but with access to them. I start back next week. I could field a few questions if we're not too busy.

• MagicalBean

Meow-I like your take on weed-pulling. I will be doing that if the snow ever leaves us.

My yard is very small. There is a ratty looking perennial garden in the front and not much else. Container gardens intrigue me and I'd like to give that a try. I can't wait 'til we can share successes.

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309

Unlike you folks on the east coast, here in Oregon we're having an unusually warm winter. No snow to speak of, and it's supposed to be 70 degrees this weekend! I've got my veggie garden started already with lettuce, spinach, and kale. Garlic has sprouted. Strawberry plants are starting to grow. I put seed in the ground for peas and radishes last week. May plant potatoes this weekend. My garden is enclosed by a tall 7-8' fence all around, so the deer don't eat everything. We have a few fruit trees too, which we've put wire cages around. Somehow they still got all the apples off my tree and didn't leave us a single one! I'll have to take some pictures of my garden soon. When I'm working in my garden I'm in my element.

• MagicalBean

Monica-you are one lucky lady. Can't wait to see pics-my garden is under feet of snow at the moment-but it should get near 50 by mid week.

• corgi09
    corgi09 Member Posts: 9

Monica, that is an inspiration for when the weather gets better. We have 2 raised 4x6 beds that we plant tomatoes in and a 4 tiered 1x4 for carrots and peas and peppers. We have a large flower bed and I'm always adding more. I want to make a cold frame this year to jump start things.

• Ariom

This was taken in my garden this week, we are just going into Autumn here and this is a huge Fig tree that the birds are enjoying. These guys have already cleaned out the pear and Apple tree and all my time in the garden recently has been taken up, with cleaning up after them.

• MagicalBean

Ariom-what kind of birds are they? They are so colorful. This picture made me smile.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,929

Hi ladies- I was talking to someone about whether there is a gardening thread here, and went looking tonight and here you! I am going to join the bandwagon with you, as I am starting to get out to prepare my yard and gardens as the first green things begin to pick up. I love spending time in the yard and gardens spring, summer and fall.

I live in the southwest, so it is a LONG spring here with things unfolding from end of February until the end of May. Today I was out doing some pruning and clearing out of the garden beds and so looking forward to being able to start planting (pansies can go in by early April!) Our fruit trees in the area are starting to bloom just this past week.

I look forward to sharing my gardening tips, tricks and experiences with you. I take lots of pics of my blooms and will share those too!

Here is a photo taken today of my flowering gopher plant. One of the first things that blooms!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831

wow, never heard of a gopher plant. What a lovely flower!

• jazzygirl

Glennie- they are common here in the southwest and get really huge! They call them a gopher plant as the animals don't really find them very tasty (gophers, rabbits, etc.)

I had to cut mine back last year, so it is filling out again but here is a photo of it in full splendor a few years ago!

• Monis

Don't have any gopher plants in my gardens, but I do have plenty of gophers!

• Ariom

MagicalBean, they are Rainbow Lorikeets and the trees can be covered in them, they are very noisy and very messy, but beautiful to look at!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Great subject! I love my garden! Spent the last 2 days out there, pulling weeds and spreading mulch. We didn't have much of a winter this year, boy are we going to be in trouble for water this summer, there is no snow pack at all.

I took some pics of things coming up a couple of weeks ago, lots more up now. I live on one of the Gulf Islands, we are a bit warmer & drier than Vancouver or Seattle. Cheers, Dee

Sorry that last one is so big!

Love the gopher plant, never heard of it! And the birds are absolutely beautiful, but I can see them being a bit of a pest.

• Ariom

Gorgeous flowers Dee! Yes the birds can be veryy destructive, but not as bad as the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, they can strip the timber off your verandah!

• jazzygirl

Hi Monis- good to see you here! Smile

• MagicalBean

Wow. Everyone's pictures are so refreshing. I took a couple of my tiny yard to share. Might see the ground by April.imageimage

• Monis

I just can't even imagine having that much snow. I wish we got a little this year Bawling

• MagicalBean

It's been a really cold winter this year. Everyone is dreading what lies beneath. I hope the snow provided enough insulation.

• jazzygirl

Hi ladies- I was at ACE hardware today getting some birdseed and other supplies and found these cool watering bulbs for pots. I usually have a number of potted plants in my yard and gardens, but of course, it is a challenge when I travel as it requires someone to come water them when I am away in the warmer weather months. I always thought it would be great to have something that might be good that could help to self water and found these pretty glass watering bulbs today. Picture of one of them that is blue, the other one I bought is orange. They were $8 each, and will let you know how they work!

They had all kinds of great flats of flowers there including pansies that I SO want to plant, but still a bit early. By early April (easter weekend), I should be able to put some in the pots out front, but still a wee bit too soon. It is in the mid 60s today and their are butterflies everywhere. Spring is definitely moving in now!

• GG27

Jazzygirl, I would have thought that you could be able to plant pansies, I've had mine in since last fall & they are blooming, and we are nowhere near 60f. I've used those watering bulbs, they are ok, especially for plants that need even dampness. GG

• jazzygirl

GG- I probably can but always risky, we can still get hard freezes here in March and big late season dumps of snow. The one year I tried it earlier, my pansies did not make it. March can be really unpredictable with really warm days, but then we will get a huge swings with plummeting temps. Just happened a week or so ago. So I guess I am just being safe about it. Plus I am going away end of the month, so better to do when I am home and can keep things watered.

Glad you have used the watering bulbs and had good experience with them!

• ddfair
    ddfair Member Posts: 65

Ariom

I built a frame using pvc pipe and covered it with bird netting to keep the damn birds out of my blueberries. I worked way too hard to have a garden to share any of it with birds! 

• GG27

I know the feeling about birds eating all your berries. I net the blueberries, but my DH built me a "raspbetorium" Keeps the birds out, looks really cute in the garden.... The cost to build it makes my raspberries worth about $20 a basket! :) GG

• Ariom

ddfair, I wish I could do that too, it is a great solution, but this garden is a very old established one, the trees are big, the old Fig, alone, is way higher than the house and maybe 20' wide. People around here will net off, part of their trees, to save some fruit, but unfortunately, the birds get caught in the netting. I have tried all kinds of things tied in the branches, tin foil plastic bags, but none of these make any difference. I even have a pretty good looking replica Owl statue, but that doesn't work either.