Topic: Is delaying mammogram for a few weeks a bad idea?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: May 20, 2022 12:16PM

Posted on: May 20, 2022 12:16PM

nanka wrote:

Hello all, I am planning a dream trip with my family in July. I have a mammogram appointment May 24. I feel like I want to delay the mammogram until after the trip.

My reasoning is : I am a 10 year survivor. If something is found and suspicious on May 24th, I know myself, and I won't be able to let it go or forget about it. I want to go on my trip worry free.

My question is : Do you think delaying a mammogram for 8 weeks is a bad idea? IF there is something there, there would be 8 week growth, but if I understand correctly, BC's grow over a period years! Is my reasoning skewed?

Any input is welcome...I need to talk it out, I guess.

Pleomorphic ILC - Extensive LCIS left in breast Dx 2/16/2012, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/14/2012 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/27/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Log in to post a reply

May 20, 2022 04:50PM cookie54 wrote:

Hi nanka, I feel exactly the same way you do, I would delay it also! I recently delayed my CT chest a couple weeks for the same reason so I could enjoy my vacation worry free. I don't think your reasoning is skewed at all! We all suffer from anxiety when it's imaging time.

To me I think you deserve a fabulous vacation with your family. My motto has been to try not to let tomorrow's worries steal today's joy! Would you feel better by asking your MO if they are ok with it? Maybe that confirmation that you are not being reckless would help you? Also maybe hearing some reassurance that the likelihood of recurrence is low would help you to be at peace with your decision! Best wishes in your decision and have a fabulous vacation!

Dx 8/15/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2016 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (Left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (Right): Saline implant Chemotherapy 10/14/2016 AC Dx 6/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 5/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/29/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Surgery 10/19/2020 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/23/2020 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx IDC, Other, Stage IV, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)
Log in to post a reply

May 23, 2022 12:17AM rain88 wrote:

I, personally, would do the mammogram, without canceling my trip, then forget about it until after. I am sure there wouldn' t be any major changes in 8 weeks (I had to wait longer then that for my lumpectomy!). On the either hand, I would be able to check my portal once back from the trip and wouldn't have to make a new appointment and therefore wait much longer for the results, which could end up being more stressful. Best of luck! ♥️

Dx 27/7/2019, Mucinous, 11 mm, Stage 1, Grade 1, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Lumpectomy (right), Radiotherapy, Tamoxifen (15 months) Surgery 10/1/2019 Surgery 10/1/2019 Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lumpectomy (Right)
Log in to post a reply

May 23, 2022 05:53AM gb2115 wrote:

I tend to avoid scheduling things right after imaging for exactly this reason. I lost a Disney trip to my first diagnosis. I was in surgery the day we were supposed to be at Epcot.

First Dx IDC in 10/16 at age 38, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes. Lumpectomy + radiation + tamoxifen. Second Dx IDC recurrence in original location 5/21. 1.3 cm ER/PR+, Her2 -. Grade 2. 2/2 nodes. UMX + AC/T + Zoladex/Exemestane + Zometa.
Log in to post a reply

May 24, 2022 09:26AM nanka wrote:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. These are all good points.

I have decided to delay, just because as much I know that I could get the mammo and forget it until after the trip if they find something, my brain won't let me forget it. I just wish I could and try hard to change my thinking process but so far, not working.

Again, I really appreciate your answers. Thanks goodness for this site where you can talk to people who "get it". :)

Pleomorphic ILC - Extensive LCIS left in breast Dx 2/16/2012, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/14/2012 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/27/2012 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Scroll to top button