Join Us

We are 219,660 members in 84 forums discussing 161,620 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Skin Cream during radiation

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Jul 27, 2007 05:21AM

CarrieDee wrote:

Figured I would post this as a separate topic so people wouldn't have to dig to find out the information.

What was the best cream/gel used during radiation?

I was just given a sample of Radiogel- has anyone used this?

I tried the Aquaphor and found it sticky and my skin actually felt more itchy after I applied it.

Thanks! Log in to post a reply

Page 4 of 8 (225 results)

Posts 91 - 120 (225 total)

May 14, 2009 09:18AM soaplady1950 wrote:

hi nelia48 how are you doing are you healed up yet.   my last treatment was april 27 and the raw spot healed fast by friday may 1st it was healed i hope you were as lucky.     sharon

Dx 10/22/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 3, 2009 03:39AM annadou wrote:

Hellob

Anyone know how many My Girls  Cream is needed for a course of 30 rads ?

Thanks 

Anna

Dx 3/13/2009, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 4/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (SPOT)

Jul 4, 2009 12:47AM Snappygoddess wrote:

Hi.. has anyone heard of Aloe-Esta(not vesta) gel? It's supposed to have pure aloe vera gel in it and supposed to be good for the skin during rads. I am only on # 10 with very little side effects.. no burning yet but the rad doc says for me to start wearing aquafor now along with aloe vera gel.

If anyone has heard of it and/or used it, please let me know. Thanks

Belinda

Dx 1/22/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 4, 2009 01:52AM Debbi5108 wrote:

Hey gals, I used Natures Inventory Radiation Therapy oil and never burned I was told about it on here and it is all natural I took it in to my rads doc and he said sure give it a try and wow never did burn, blister or break open you can research it as I did it really works.

Debbi5108 Dx 5/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 7/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2009 01:53AM Debbi5108 wrote:

I did 30 treatments 5 days a week for 6 weeks in case you were wondering and never did use anything else.

Debbi5108 Dx 5/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 7/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2009 07:12PM nelia48 wrote:

I used the My Girls Cream and I only used about 1/2 of a jar.  And I slathered that stuff on a million times a day.   It was really great!  I had about 35 treatments.

Visit my blog at www.hiddenrichessecretplaces.b... Diagnosos: IDC - T4, N2, ER+, PR+, Grade 2, 5/15 lymph nodes, diagnosed 7/2008 Stage IIIb

Jul 11, 2009 07:25PM Bethie1 wrote:

I've been told to use 100% aloe vera during radiation to be applied every day after treatment, then use Aquaphor after treatment is all done.  Go with whatever your doctor recommends though

Dx 12/18/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jul 13, 2009 10:14AM soaplady1950 wrote:

i used my girls radiation cream and it worked wonderful only had one small spot where my bra rubbed that it got sore that was my fault if you start to get red do not wear your bra i used the camoisle from walmart that is called sweet nothings  with the my girls cream radiation the whole experience went better than expected i am very fair with freckles and came  thru it like a breeze i used the cream after and am still using it to massage the tissue back to normal my surgeon recommended to message the scar and entire breast to restore it to normal . i had 4 rounds chemo A/C and  oncoplasty, with partial mastec,  and 35 radiation treatments. I am now almost back to normal  last treatment was April 27 the radiation makes breast tissue very firm/hard and the cream with massage brings it back to normal feeling.   Hope this will help someone      

Sharon

Dx 10/22/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 13, 2009 10:56PM LuckyLindy333 wrote:

A homeopathic doc recommended this cream to me by Electic Institute- she calls it the 3-C's cream.  It is Calendula, comfrey, coneflower cream.  I tried emu oil and the vitamin E cream that they gave me at the clinic where I had the rads, but the 3-C's was the most soothing.  I got a little red and sore, but it went away in about a week after the rads were over (28 treatments).  She said be very sparing with it.  It is really funny stuff, not really creamy, but it sure seems to do the trick!  I got a big jar, and ran out, bought a second one- I still have some left, so I put it on my face and hands sometimes.

Diagnosed Aug 2008 Stage II Mastectomy 1 Node ER+ Her2Nu- LastChemo 2/20/09 Last Rad 5/7/09

Jul 14, 2009 09:20AM rgiuff wrote:

I also used Jeans cream and Miaderm given to me by the Rad Onc's office staff.  They also recommended aloe vera gel, which I also used in between and I never had any burns or reaction at all, just a slight tan in that area.

RoseG Dx 4/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/6/2008, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/20/2008 Breast

Jul 15, 2009 07:17PM RN_ocn wrote:

Survivors,

The best thing I can suggest is to treat your skin like you would a new born babies. My office instructs their patients to pick one lotion, something with a low alcohol content, no shimmer and not heavily perfumed.(vaseline intensive care, udder butter, eucerin or aqafor) Start lotioning as soon as the surgical scar is healed. Just make sure if you have marks with marker not to erase them. If you noticed that you have, get your therapist to redraw them. Aloe is great if you stick to it and if it has a low alcohol content. It is important to only use one product until your nurse or doctor tells you not to. Using multiple products could cause a chemichal burn. No deoderants under the treatment arm unless they are sold in a pharmacy specifically for radiation patients. They must not contain alluminum or other metalics, it will disrupt the distribution of the radiation. It is ok to shower. A mild soap like caress, dove, ivory, oil of olay with shea butter is best. Let the water rinse over you but not directly, and avoid extremes of heat. No ice packs or heating pads. Avoid powders, they tend to cake and stick. The skin may go thru stages and lotions may need to be adjusted. For red sunburned looking skin my office uses a aquafor and lidocain mixture or a product called "lindy wraps" (you can get a prescription and they are all natural products). If unfortunately with all of these attemps blisters develop we use a prescription for silvadene ( if not allergic to it). Most of the time that is very late in treatment if it does occur. The skin should be healed by your one month follow up appointment, it could get a slight bit worse before it gets better. Just make sure if there are any open areas you are not running a fever. I hope this helps.

Jul 15, 2009 07:21PM - edited Jul 17, 2009 12:24PM by RN_ocn

ALSO... while on treatment put the lotion on AFTER treatment but NEVER before. Get a wireless bra to avoid skin breakdown and if hurts, go with out the bra if you are able.

Jul 16, 2009 02:43PM Leah_S wrote:

I have been using aloe vera gel. It's 97% aloe vera, the other 3% is gelling agents. I had slight pinkness in my neck after 6 treatments since I didn't realize the rads to supraclavicular nodes go so high. I used the aloe vera and the pink faded. I have had 8 treatments and have no other skin issues.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 16, 2009 06:53PM Carjan wrote:

I bought an Aloe plant and hacked away at it as needed.  Also at night I'd slap on some natural shea butter. <-- this was pretty good.

Finished 33 treaments this past Tuesday.  (yea!)

Dx 2/13/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 20, 2009 12:41PM montana7p wrote:

Has anyone out there heard of using 100% hydrous lanolin as the only applied treatment during early stages of radiation? That is what my radiation oncologist has recommended, but I can't find any information or reviews of it on the internet. I started last week, have rads up to my collarbone and internal mammary with use of bolus every other time and am obsessing about potential complications.

Dx 1/5/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 3/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 20, 2009 06:46PM nelia48 wrote:

Montana, I have not heard of that either.  Worth a try, though.  I know how you are obsessing about it, I did, too!  I also had the bolus every other time.  I don't think I had any complications that were lasting.  I had pains in my ribs, pains in my chest that felt like heart attacks, I burned to a crisp and was miserable, but it all went away very quickly after treatments were over.  Let us know how the lanolin works!!!!

Visit my blog at www.hiddenrichessecretplaces.b... Diagnosos: IDC - T4, N2, ER+, PR+, Grade 2, 5/15 lymph nodes, diagnosed 7/2008 Stage IIIb

Jul 21, 2009 05:27AM Leah_S wrote:

I don't know about lanolin with rads, though I do know it's generally very good for other skin problems. One warning - if you're allergic to wool, DON'T use it. It's made from the skin oils of lambs, and a wool allergy is actually not an allergy to the fibers but to the skin oils.

Leah

Dx 11/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 6/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 21, 2009 07:20PM Irishred wrote:

Hey tc,  I would love a sample, since I am starting rads on thursday, I want to be on top of the skin problem right from the get go.  Please e mail me at : cstupak@tampabay.rr.com and I will give you my address, also you can give me info about where to get it, lol, thanks a lot.

Jul 21, 2009 08:00PM Bethie1 wrote:

I started out using 10% aloe vera then late last week was told to switch to a saline solution and Aquaphor.  I finish rads 8/4.

Dx 12/18/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jul 21, 2009 08:25PM noni1 wrote:

I don't think the size of your boobs has anything to do with how your skin will react to radiation.  I think it is a crap shoot.  I used Biafine after my first 10 treatments,  it was working, then I got one area on the top of my breast near my neck that opened right up,  about the size of a quarter.  Had to stop rads for about 5 days and put silvadine  cream on it.  Had about 15 more treatments and my skin on my chest, breast and under my breast got 2nd degree burns,  had to take pain meds and use silvadine cream for ten days,  took 3 months for 33 radiation treatments,  it was not fun.  Has healed well.  I use cream for stretch marks on my breast and under my arm were I had my lymph nodes removed.  

Cindy Dx 3/14/2008, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Jul 23, 2009 03:48PM onwardandupward wrote:

Hi.  It sounds like you had a great experience with this Udderly Smooth cream.  When exactly did you apply it, before and/or after radiation, and how many times a day otherwise?  I start rads in 3 weeks.  Thanks.

Jul 24, 2009 11:11AM Snappygoddess wrote:

I am doing # 23 today. Have some reddening of the skin.. very little itching. I have been using the Calendula tea application 3x's a day, followed by aquafor and then after my shower I use Aloe-Esta and wear a cotton tshirt to bed. My naturopath swears by the calendula tea and I have to admit it does take the itch and redness out of the skin. She told me if I had not been using it since starting rads that my entire area would be fire engine red.

So far, so good....looks like under the breast may present a few problems in a few more treatments... if I need a time out for healing ...then that's what it will be. I was really hoping to be finished with rads sooner so I have time to heal before school starts back up in 4 weeks(where the hell has summer break gone?) LOL... oh yeah.....it was spent at the cancer center getting rads...lol

Good luck to you all in your treatments!

~Belinda~

Dx 1/22/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 25, 2009 12:09PM Irishred wrote:

OK Ladies,  you have recommended some great skin creams for during radiation, but, I can't find them anywhere?????  Pharmacies, medical places, anywhere?  can someone let me know where to find these creams???  Thanks,

Jul 25, 2009 12:13PM ShellyJo wrote:

Emu oll. Radiologist was floored on my lack of burning. I tanned only

Dx 5/5/2008, DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 25, 2009 12:15PM Irishred wrote:

and where did you purchase it?

Jul 25, 2009 05:25PM ShellyJo wrote:

I got it at Vitamin Shoppe not all vitamin shoppes carry it. But you can order it online too..Google Emu oil..get the pure, its around 20 dollars for 4 oz but a little goes a long way...

Dx 5/5/2008, DCIS, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 26, 2009 09:01AM Susantc wrote:

I use calendula ointment at night that I ordered from drugstore.com and during the day, I slather on Aloe Life Skin Gel that I ordered from harvesthealth. I have had 15 treatments and things are going well. Occasionally if I feel itchy, I use 1% hydrocortisone. My radiation oncologist says my skin looks very good for this point in treatment.

Jul 26, 2009 10:04AM Irishred wrote:

Thanks for the info,  I finally ordered My Girls radiation cream online.  I cant believe that as many people taking radiation, there isnt a local drug store that carries this kind of thing,  Giving my self an idea for a new business.  Cancer care items ONLY.  hmmmmm 

Jul 26, 2009 10:40AM Jelson wrote:

Rad nurses recommended ONLY 100% aloe vera gel  3x a day and aquaphor if necessary, Dove for Sensitive Skin to wash with beginning at the start of treatment based on their positive experience with these products and the fact that they are readily available at local pharmacies and INEXPENSIVE. I purchased a 12 oz bottle of the Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel for $5.99 at my local Rite Aid and for $2.99, a 6 oz tube of CVS Aftersun pure aloe vera with no alcohol,color or fragrance to take with me everyday to slather on right after rads. I bought the Dove body wash on sale at BJ's. It feels like washing with whipped cream, not my thing, one 24 oz bottle will be enough! I have finished 28 treatments and 4 of 8 boosts and am red but no skin breakdown. I combine the  Aloe Vera with Jojoba Oil for a daily moisturizer on my face to avoid estrogen which might be lurking in manufactured cosmetics.  

Dx 4/17/2009, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 26, 2009 04:53PM kira wrote:

I used vanicream, you can buy it at Walgren's, it worked well for me.

http://www.psico.com/

Kira 

Knowledge is the antidote to fear, Ralph Waldo Emerson Dx 5/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 8 (225 results)