Join Us

We are 225,049 members in 83 forums discussing 163,855 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Cost of Radiation Treatments

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Aug 16, 2007 05:10AM

kcsusan wrote:

I am facing possible radiation and/or chemo treatments and currious about the costs for the treatments. I have insurance co-pays of 20%. Can anyone out there tell me if they have 20% co-pays and what their costs have been per treatment. I have not discussed this with the cancer center I will be going to, just wanted an idea what other people have had to pay.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Aug 16, 2007 05:22AM sjoc wrote:

I don't have percentage copay, I have a set fee schedule. The bills I saw submitted for my chemo tmts (taxotere/cytoxen) were about $16,5oo/tmt. - this included the neulasta shot after each tmt. I had to pay $125/tmt. The $16,500 was the amount submitted, but then my insurance co. discounted their payment because they are participating providers and have a set fee schedule. I didn't have any radiation tmts, so I'm not familiar with those charges.

Dx 5/2/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 16, 2007 08:24AM unlimited wrote:

I had 33 rads tx - 26 + 7 Boosts -- There are a range of diff costs thru out - the tx starting at the beginning with simulation / cat scan / placing the tattoos on - consult with others to determine actual area to be radiated and amt etc .... then more fees once doc and consulting docs sit to view how the Boosts will be delivered etc - -BUT on a typical day of radiation tx - my insurance was being billed $656.00 for the delivery of radiation tx. Once a week they would take pictures after the rad zap for quality assurance those weekly fees were ... $167.00 for port films... there are more fees too but these are the standard ones. My insurance paid 100% of the reasonable fee for service. I have been very fortunate not to have any coinsurance on my side to pay -- other then drug copays when receiving chemo. I live in Wisconsin - Im sure these fees very as well as the amt of tx being delivered - I rec'd two zaps per tx.

Dx 11/20/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 1/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 16, 2007 10:09PM Fireweed wrote:

Check with your insurer - most programs waive the co-pay when you have reached an out-of-pocket total. 20% of breast cancer treatment would bankrupt most of us!

Fireweed Dx 6/1/2007, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+

Aug 16, 2007 10:31PM ADK wrote:

I had 26 regular and 8 boosts from May through June 2006. The entire bill was for about 7,700. I paid $45 - the ofice visit co-pay for the three times the doctor saw me.

Anne

Sep 9, 2007 03:06AM JFfromTN wrote:

I asked last week.  I'm getting 33 radiation treatments to the whole right breast.  They said $35,000 average. 

Janet Dx 7/13/2012, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 16, 2007 11:29AM lady4law wrote:

sjoc

Boy were you lucky. I live in Los Angeles and my TC treatments ran a little over $30,000 a piece. I have no idea what my rads will cost, I am hoping my onc will say I don't need them, althougth I don't think he will change his mind. I am havingmy bilateral mast & reconstruction on Sept 26, then I will have more chemo. He mentioned TAC, but I hope not. Too many bad se from the Taxotere, and that A is way to dangerious for my heart.

I am lucky (I cannot believe I just said that) as my insurance has paid 100% of my chem and I believe does the same for any RADS. However my son has been fighting cancer for 3 years and his medical, chemo, RADS, tests etc., is over $800,000...and getting close to a million. Even with insurance 20% can and does bankrupt many families.

TNBC, Chemo/TC (5), Surgeries, Lump, Mast/Rec, move PM 4 rads, infection(2),Exch, Re-do(2), tumor '09/B9, lesions: Thyroid, kidney, sinus, mastoid, "activity' spine/hip, mini/strokes, 12/10 Scan Spina Bifida (L1,2,3,4)

Sep 16, 2007 02:32PM san4850 wrote:

I had 30 treatments, 24 + 6 boosts.  Including port films and meeting w/ the rad. onc. every Thursdays, I think mine came out to about $44,000+.  I paid exactly $0.00.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)