Join Us

We are 218,613 members in 84 forums discussing 161,137 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: After Radiation

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Mar 8, 2011 08:02PM - edited Mar 8, 2011 08:05PM by FireKracker

FireKracker wrote:

OK NOW WHAT DO WE DO?

I finished the Rads 3 weeks ago.Now What???

Kind of cream?deoderant?soap?exercise?etc.

How do we get back to our life before BC?

And how long is this process.I would like to hear from other sistas what they are doing and how they are feeling after the RADS are over.

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Page 135 of 140 (4,192 results)

Posts 4021 - 4050 (4,192 total)

Nov 8, 2012 09:51PM GmaFoley wrote:

I'm nervous.. Gonna be hard to sleep tonight.

Oh Oh good news ! I got a new apnea machine FREE. The company is sending it to the med supply place :-)

Imagine God in His HUGE rocking chair, rocking you and saying, "It will be ok, you can do it. I will be right here for you". Oncotype score: 8, Rads 28, Bilateral arm, truncal LE and now Obstructive Sleep Apnea Dx 4/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 8, 2012 11:46PM FireKracker wrote:

GMa...I'm in your pocket....all the way from pa....
Keep us posted.
Hugggs everyone who needs it
Grannydukes

Nov 9, 2012 12:05AM LindaKR wrote:

Gma - I feel like I should come on over and hug you in person tomorrow - God Bless you and you'll be in my prayers.

Modified Radical MX w/axillary dissection; 6xTCH, Hercpetin for a year, Rads, trying 3rd AI Aromasin. No Reconstruction. Lymphedema. Dx 3/19/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 4/2/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 5/15/2010 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/15/2010 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/25/2010 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 9, 2012 06:43AM walley wrote:

Sending prayers your way GMA

Walley Dx 2/13/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 9, 2012 07:25AM FireKracker wrote:

Thinking of you GMa...please let us know ASAP.
I'm on the broom...all gassed up....

Nov 9, 2012 04:50PM Omaz wrote:

Thinking of you gma!

Nov 9, 2012 05:04PM GmaFoley wrote:

Home from surgery - doc did put in a drain (with the little bulb) - didn't really have time to think about clothing... any ideas??? I'm on alot of pain meds... was kinda rough when I sat up to go potty.. Ended up with more pain meds before I got out of there... I'm in bed with laptop chilling the rest of the day..

Imagine God in His HUGE rocking chair, rocking you and saying, "It will be ok, you can do it. I will be right here for you". Oncotype score: 8, Rads 28, Bilateral arm, truncal LE and now Obstructive Sleep Apnea Dx 4/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 9, 2012 05:37PM Omaz wrote:

Glad you are safe and home gma.

Nov 9, 2012 09:32PM FireKracker wrote:

GMa....don't worry about clothes...wear anything that is comfortable...or just go naked....I did best with the hospital gown...
Been praying for you...
Actually been waiting for your post...
Sleep,rest,eat lots of protein and don't forget the water...
Please keep us posted...we love you!!!!!!
Hugggs grannydukes

Nov 10, 2012 04:47AM walley wrote:

Gma..Glad to hear you are home.Just rest.((hugs))

Nov 10, 2012 11:56AM LindaKR wrote:

Gma - after MX I wore big, baggy blouses, and comfy pants.  My surgeon uses a long acting steriod at the surgery site to help with the initial pain, by the time that wore off the pain was very manageable.

Modified Radical MX w/axillary dissection; 6xTCH, Hercpetin for a year, Rads, trying 3rd AI Aromasin. No Reconstruction. Lymphedema. Dx 3/19/2010, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 5/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 4/2/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 5/15/2010 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/15/2010 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/25/2010 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 11, 2012 05:36PM - edited Nov 11, 2012 05:36PM by GmaFoley

I'm home from my son's place - long but good trip... now to empty my drain, sponge bath and a little sleep are in order..

Nov 11, 2012 08:01PM FireKracker wrote:

Thinking of you gmaE..prayin too.

Nov 12, 2012 12:33AM ptdreamers wrote:

Gma, I got aspirated again on Thursday. She was asking if I wanted to try a drain but I have reservations. I am a year out and the cavity that encapsulated will probably not respond. She said that a drain acts as negative pressure and sometimes keeping that going for a couple of weeks is good enough to keep it collapsed. She did however, state she had never done it on someone as far out as I am.

ptdreamers, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. . Sail away. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Dx 8/26/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 12, 2012 07:36AM GmaFoley wrote:

Ptdreamers - I opted for taking the seroma cavity out and starting over -- the drain isn't so bad once you get used to it and this time I don't have alot of fluid so it looks like the drain will come out thursday and I will be on to healing.. This whole thing was started because of radiated scar tissue that wouldn't heal correctly so he took any fatty necrosis he saw and got fresh tissue to stitch together... I think it was worth the extra effort... Only time will tell.

Nov 12, 2012 11:24AM Cindyl wrote:

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you GMA...

Stay calm, have courage and watch for signs. Dx 2/11/2012, IDC, 3cm, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/29/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 4/15/2012 Hormonal Therapy 5/22/2012

Nov 14, 2012 10:03PM FireKracker wrote:

gmaF where are you?????
Grannydukes is worried about you
Pleas just let us know how you are doin
Huggggs K

Nov 14, 2012 10:11PM GmaFoley wrote:

I'm really tired, Can't seem to stay awake doing my computer job. Sleep apnea machine has not been received at the med place yet. But its a new FREE one.. I will just have to wait.

The drain is almost empty so not much fluid anymore. I do find without the pain med I have quite a bit of pain in the suture area but nothing looks infected... I see BS tomorrow to probably take the drain out and 1 week check..

My forearm and wrist are swollen from where they put the IV and BP, even after telling them to change bp to my leg... Unfortunate, when you are just too tired to fight the LE issue . Now I have to deal with the consequences.. (BTW don't know if I told you - when they were trying to get the IV in, they "burst" 2 veins - blood everywhere.. It was bad.)

Other than that, I'm doing awesome and I am only leaking into a drain now instead of all over me .. God is good and I know He is by my side.

Nov 14, 2012 10:26PM LindaKR wrote:

Gma - you sure sound like a glass half full girl!  Let us know how it goes with the doc tomorrow.

Nov 15, 2012 07:40PM GmaFoley wrote:

I'm back from my BS appt.  They took out the drain - YAY - then said to call if my breast starts swelling..  oh my, forgot about the possibility of that happening. Then I showed him my wrist and arm and he now acknowledges that I DO have swelling from using BP and IV... but still says - "your nodes are ok on that side we didn't touch over there."  I went on to say, it doesn't matter where the nodes were touched, if the system is compromised it can go anywhere... I pulled up my sleeve and sees my upper arm is swollen and red too... but not warm and I don't have a fever... BS told me to watch it and my breast and call him if anything changes... He was ready to give me more antibiotics.. On the way out, I asked him when I could see my LE therapist.. He told me that anytime I want to see him, just ask because obviously I know my body better than he does Surprised... He thought it would probably be a good idea after seeing my arm/wrist.  Yay BS won't doubt me anymore Laughing.

Nov 15, 2012 07:46PM Omaz wrote:

Gma - That's progress!

Nov 15, 2012 10:18PM FireKracker wrote:

gmaF..I'm sorry you had such a ruff time..and that u did
I pray for the day you say all is well
god bless you
Hugh's K

Nov 16, 2012 08:13PM GmaFoley wrote:

LE therapist says we caught it in time and I "should" be back to normal (speaking arms) in no time... Only 6 days since surgery so the breast and under the arms are swollen too...But things are getting better, that is if I listen to the little voice that tells me not to do anything and rest....

Nov 17, 2012 05:35PM FireKracker wrote:

o listen to that voice...it doesn't fail you
Rest sista rest.
That's called healing!!!!!!
Now just go and do it.
Don't make grannydukes angry!!!!!!!!!

Nov 20, 2012 12:48PM Sherryc wrote:

Been away gma glad everything is going Ok and you got the drain out and back to the LE therapist.  Hopefully the swelling will go down soon.

Sherry--lump left breast 9/30/10. No chemo, Zometa-6tx over 3 years.Oncotype score 23 with 14% recurrence rate. 34 rads. No family history, BRCA neg. 48 years old @ diagn. BMX/TE 3/26/2012, Exchange surgery 8/21/12, Revision surgery 11/27/12 Surgery 5/12/1997 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/30/2010 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/3/2010 Hormonal Therapy 2/7/2011 Surgery 11/3/2011 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 3/26/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 8/21/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 11/27/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 20, 2012 08:41PM FireKracker wrote:

sherry...missed you sista...hope by being away it was a vacation.
This thread is slowing down.hope everyone shows up to wish all the sistas a happy Thanksgiving.....
eat everything you want....we deserve it!!!!!!
Huggs grannydukes

Nov 21, 2012 01:37AM ptdreamers wrote:

My sentiments exactly. Hope everyone has a safe journey and Happy Thanksgiving.

ptdreamers, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. . Sail away. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Dx 8/26/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 21, 2012 07:35AM GmaFoley wrote:

I am thankful for this group of ladies that have been with me through my good times and bad.. for my family that has supported me and one more day I can watch my grandchildren grow..  Thank you Ladies and have a great Thanksgiving..

happy thanksgiving

Nov 21, 2012 07:41PM walley wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!!

Nov 22, 2012 10:25PM FireKracker wrote:

Happy thanksgiving everyone
Prayed for a cure
Prayed for sands victims
Prayed for all my sistas to be Ned forever
I'm thankful for all of you

Page 135 of 140 (4,192 results)