Join Us

We are 218,138 members in 84 forums discussing 160,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: After Radiation

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Mar 8, 2011 08:02PM - edited Mar 8, 2011 08:05PM by FireKracker

FireKracker wrote:

OK NOW WHAT DO WE DO?

I finished the Rads 3 weeks ago.Now What???

Kind of cream?deoderant?soap?exercise?etc.

How do we get back to our life before BC?

And how long is this process.I would like to hear from other sistas what they are doing and how they are feeling after the RADS are over.

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Page 138 of 141 (4,211 results)

Posts 4111 - 4140 (4,211 total)

Feb 19, 2013 11:57AM GmaFoley wrote:

I'm trying - we had a young couple from church come for dinner yesterday.. that helped.. Just feel so drugged from the pain meds and if I stay still I feel ok, but soon as I get up to walk it hurts again.. Pain just eats at you and also makes the LE worse - my breast feels like it is the size of a cantalope instead of an orange.. Undecided  Got to stay on top of any pain.. just a bummer. But we do have a little sun coming out at the moment - a break from the rain.. It is really hard to stay positive... 

Imagine God in His HUGE rocking chair, rocking you and saying, "It will be ok, you can do it. I will be right here for you". Oncotype score: 8, Rads 28, Bilateral arm, truncal LE and now Obstructive Sleep Apnea Dx 4/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 20, 2013 02:03PM FireKracker wrote:

GmaF---- just put 1 foot in front of the other and do what ya gotta do.

you can do it!!!!!!!yes you can.....

big hugggggggggg

grannydukes

Feb 20, 2013 02:42PM - edited Feb 20, 2013 02:44PM by new2bc

Hi GmaFoley,

I hope you are feeling better today. I am new to this forum and don't have too much information about every individual sister. But from your picture it looks like you are not alone and have at least a lovely family who could support you.  I am just wondering if you are paying attention to your nutrition these days since pain plays a major part in your daily life. Have you been in pain since you were diagnosed or did it start after the radiation causing lymphedema? I was diagnosed 2 months ago and have been trying to research this disease whenever I can. I came across some videos on youtube regarding how to massage your body if you have lymphedema. If you do a search on "lymphedema massage" on youtube, there are several videos. I don't know if you go to physical therapy or not. Anyway, try to be positive and eat right and look into massaging to see if it helps. 

I decided to go ahead with radiation 2 days ago. Today was my 2nd treatment. I hope it will work out for me.

Feb 20, 2013 03:18PM GmaFoley wrote:

Thank you new2bc.. Let me share some background on me and share a few tidbits with you.

You have to watch which utube video you watch.. If you want info on lymphedema go to: www.stepup-speakout.org/ and go to the Lymphedema topic here - GRRRRR....I hate LE is a good one for information... I have been to a licensed LE therapist and he taught me the MLD - Manual Lymphatic Drainage technique.. I do it every night.  I also have started the Lebed dvd - lymphatic exercise. but I have to watch it and do only a few minutes for now.  I've done every thing I can that I know of... My LE is in control, but any slight swelling in my breast and the nerve pain gets worse, hence the walking issue.. I walk, i tend to swell and then the nerve pain gets worse..  

As far as nutrition, our oncology center makes you go to an onc. nutritionist.. so I doing every thing I can there too..  

The pain is just part of my daily battle with post-BC and I can only do what I know to help. Right now, I made a promise to my DH not to jump off a bridge.. I don't break my promises.. 

Imagine God in His HUGE rocking chair, rocking you and saying, "It will be ok, you can do it. I will be right here for you". Oncotype score: 8, Rads 28, Bilateral arm, truncal LE and now Obstructive Sleep Apnea Dx 4/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 20, 2013 06:17PM new2bc wrote:

GmaFoley,

It looks like you already know what you are doing. Thanks for the information you gave me regarding the dvd. I will look into it further. Is Lebed DVD also good for preventing LE? My oncology center did not provide me with any information regarding nutrition. I have tried to find information here and there. For example, adding tumeric and black pepper to your food is good for inflamation and cancer.  

Feb 21, 2013 05:19PM FireKracker wrote:

New 2bc--you gotta go to the I HATE LE THREAD...

Binney and Kira are the best of the best when it comes to anything with LE.

They have all the answers and will help u step by step.

but come back and tell us what is goin on.

We do care

hugggggggggggs grannydukes

Feb 23, 2013 08:59PM GmaFoley wrote:

Sleep study is in:

The Primary doc sent me a message that my CPAP should be set at 7cm H2O. That is all he said. They sent me the report, thank goodness! 8-[ 

What that actual report said:

"This patient had a severely disturbed sleep secondary to OSA and Hypopneas associated with oxygen desaturations...."
Hey - I don't see anything that puts me mild or severe - does this statement above put me as severe? 8-[ 

AHI was severely increased at 53.5 events/hr
AHI during Stage R sleep was 66.0/hr
AHI supine was 84.7/hr
Minimum oxygen saturations during sleep - 79% - mean was 92%

Once CPAP therapy was initiated AHI was decreased to 7.1 events/hr with most respiratory events being central apneas occurring sporadically. Oxygen saturations remained above 90% once therapeutic pressures were reached... There were central apneas on the high CPAP pressures."

There was also a note that my pressure should be set a the 7cm H2O but if increase is needed, I should be closely supervised to confirm that central apneas do not disturb sleep.

I have found the APAP when I wake up has been above 7 at 11-15. Is that why I feel so rotten in the morning. :-k 
At least I know now I know..

Stages for diagnostic part:
N1 19 minutes - 13.2%
N2 54.5 minutes -38.0%
N3 50 minutes - 34.8%
R 20.0 minutes - 13.9%

Total sleep time - 143.5
Sleep Efficiency - 67%

Sleep Latency in minutes - 14.4
Total Stage Changes ( After sleep onset ) - 84
Awakenings (after sleep onset) - 21
WASO - 56.1

REM Periods - 1
REM Latency in minutes - 165.5
REM Latency less wake time in minutes - 117.5

Feb 27, 2013 06:37AM walley wrote:

GMA foley  Sounds confusing to me :)Glad you got your results.Good luck!

Walley Dx 2/13/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2013 07:30AM GmaFoley wrote:

Walley bottom line - Use my CPAP or bad things can happen.

Feb 27, 2013 09:07AM Kay-in-NH wrote:

Hi new2BC - I'm 54 years old, had a lumpectomy on my left breast for a 1.2 cm tumor and 6 nodes removed (all clear, thank God).  I didn't undergo chemo, but on account of that, the Doctors including an expert at Dana Farber in Boston all agreed that radiation was a must!  I too had a CT scan and mapping, and asked to see the computer simulation where it clearly showed how the radiation beams were customized so they grazed over the very top part of the left lung, but missed the heart.  I tolerated 8 weeks including a 5-day boost of radiation extremely well, the fatigue lingered for about a month, and then went away.  My chest muscles felt very tight from the radiation (the Doctors say this is a normal side effect), and so I stretch out my arms periodically to keep the muscles limber.  I viewed Radiation as a small inconvenience but a VERY GOOD LONG TERM INSURANCE Policy.   I take the same view with Tamoxifen, and the damned hot flash side effects.  I know of a co-worker here in our office who had a similar situation as you (mastectomy, but no radiation), and I'm sorry to say that after 5 years, she developed another malignant tumor.  She had that removed, and is now undergoing radiation, and regrets that she did not undergo radiation during her first episode.  Hopefully, this will help with your decision.

Surgery 5/10/2012 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 5/11/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/10/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left Radiation Therapy 8/12/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/30/2012

Feb 28, 2013 02:23AM - edited Feb 28, 2013 04:35PM by new2bc

Hi Kay-in-NH,

Thank you so much for your response. I have started radiation and I am in my 2nd week. After this, I will try Tamoxifen. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. Did your coworker take tamoxifen or AI after the 1st diagnosis?

Grannydukes,

I don't know if you already had your surgery or not. I hope you are doing fine. You are one strong lady. We need you back!   

Feb 28, 2013 07:44AM walley wrote:

grannydukes    How ya doing?Hope you are feeling better:)

Feb 28, 2013 09:28AM GmaFoley wrote:

Walley - not sure but Granny is having surgery soon - she had her preop yesterday?  - she said she would peek in when she can.

Mar 1, 2013 03:45PM walley wrote:

GHma foley        thanks ,I was thinking of her.Thanks for the update:) have a good weekend.

Mar 1, 2013 06:07PM FireKracker wrote:

My surgery is March 12th.

went to internist and she did not like my cardiogram.now i have to go for more test with a cardiologist or she wount give me medical clearance.

bummer.

Ill keep everyone updated.....

I think i need some prayers too.

hugggs Grannydukes

Mar 1, 2013 09:10PM GmaFoley wrote:

You got prayers. If you want I will put you on the prayer chain at my church.

Mar 1, 2013 09:12PM FireKracker wrote:

Yes i want to go on any prayer list i can get on.Thanks GmaF.xoxoxo

Mar 2, 2013 12:20AM ToriGirl wrote:

Granny...have you on my prayer list...as I do everyone of you..

A very hectic last few weeks...I feel overwhelmed, but I hate to complain because things can always be worse...so, just sucking it up

and doing my thing...

new2bc-granny is right...we will be here for you every step of the way...you are stuck with us!  :)

Tori

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 2, 2013 06:23AM walley wrote:

grannydukes   sending prayers :)Will be checking in to see how you are doing

Mar 2, 2013 02:56PM FireKracker wrote:

im so glad to see my old buddies holding my hand.

We came a long way baby.....

and we are all here to still help each other and anyone else who wants to join this club that no one should belong to.I love all of you very much.

huggs k

Mar 2, 2013 05:18PM GmaFoley wrote:

Granny you are on my church's 2 prayer chains.. Hold on Granny!!!

Thought maybe some GREAT NEWS on my front might make all feel better.. All my surgeries and LE Therapy bills have been covered 100% by my medical center!!! There definitely is a God.. We were down to our last penny and we got the news today.. Only covers the back bills not the future bills (sleep study is a question) but WOW.. 

Mar 2, 2013 05:21PM FireKracker wrote:

GMF---doin the happy dance for you.....its about time....my mom used to say nothing lasts forever.the good.the bad and the ugly...congrats...i bet you are gonna sleep good tonite.

thanks for the prayers.

huggs grannydukes

Mar 3, 2013 06:54AM walley wrote:

gma foley   great news on your bills being covered,that is always a worry,I know! Great to see you online granny,saying prayers for all of you:) Have a great day!!!!!

Mar 3, 2013 07:02PM FireKracker wrote:

Faithful Wally....always comin home to vist...nice lookin at your face.xoxoxo

Mar 7, 2013 08:03PM GmaFoley wrote:

Granny - how are you doing? Prayer chain wants to know!

Mar 9, 2013 08:51AM walley wrote:

Granny, how are ya?

Mar 10, 2013 10:32PM ToriGirl wrote:

Anyone hear from Granny?  

Anyways...Gma Foley...GREAT NEWS!  I'm doing the happy chair dance for you!

Just popping in to see if anyone wants to jump in my pocket tomorrow...I have followups....mammogram and MRI...Not looking forward to this fun time, but I must go...UGH..All alll welcome..and if someone wants to bring some tequila...who am I to argue?   :)---tomorrow at 10:30am CST...

Love to you all!

Tori

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 10, 2013 10:53PM GmaFoley wrote:

In your pocket with the chocolate!

Mar 10, 2013 10:58PM ToriGirl wrote:

Yummy!  Chocolate!!!

Mar 11, 2013 12:18AM ptdreamers wrote:

I'll jump in too. Good luck

ptdreamers, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. . Sail away. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Dx 8/26/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 138 of 141 (4,211 results)