Join Us

We are 218,138 members in 84 forums discussing 160,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: After Radiation

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Mar 8, 2011 08:02PM - edited Mar 8, 2011 08:05PM by FireKracker

FireKracker wrote:

OK NOW WHAT DO WE DO?

I finished the Rads 3 weeks ago.Now What???

Kind of cream?deoderant?soap?exercise?etc.

How do we get back to our life before BC?

And how long is this process.I would like to hear from other sistas what they are doing and how they are feeling after the RADS are over.

Focktober!!!!Pink stinks!!!!

Page 140 of 141 (4,211 results)

Posts 4171 - 4200 (4,211 total)

Jul 14, 2013 05:50PM - edited Jul 14, 2013 05:50PM by walley

Hi Everyone,

Hope everybody is doing well.Haven't seen anyone on here for awhile.Have a great week:)

Walley Dx 2/13/2011, DCIS, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 14, 2013 08:52PM CLYDAY wrote:

Hi ladies...so I finished RADS Thursday and my skin seems to be healing up.  I know some have said it sometimes gets worse after RADS....is it still a possibility if my skin is healing?? I am lubing the girl up several times a day and stretching some.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Dx 9/21/2012, IDC, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/8/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/3/2013 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 5/28/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 5/15/2014 Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement Surgery 10/29/2014 Reconstruction (left)

Jul 14, 2013 09:30PM GmaFoley wrote:

If it looks like it is getting better you are probably ok. But it takes a very long time to heal. Remember, this heals from the inside out. Be good to yourself and keep creaming yourself up. Congrats on finishing rads!

Imagine God in His HUGE rocking chair, rocking you and saying, "It will be ok, you can do it. I will be right here for you". Oncotype score: 8, Rads 28, Bilateral arm, truncal LE and now Obstructive Sleep Apnea Dx 4/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 16, 2013 06:42AM walley wrote:

Hi Ladies,Just checking in on all of you.Looking forward to Fall! My favorite time of year.Hope all is well wth everyone:)

Sep 16, 2013 10:58AM FireKracker wrote:

Hi Wally
You are so faithful to this thread
Most of the sistas have left when they felt it was time to move on.
GmsF...you too are so faithful.
Thanks.
Remember when we started this thread 3yrs.ago..Time does fly.
Would love to see the sistas check in.
Big huggs
Grannydukes

Sep 30, 2013 09:20PM ToriGirl wrote:

Always to see everyone still replying on this thread...I'm still praying for us all....big hugs and love to you all...

Tori

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2013 07:09PM oropallo wrote:

I also do yoga and in the meditation relaxation phase have a hard time putting my affected arm above my head without pain or tightness. Was suppose to have 5 weeks of radiation but only completed 3. (chickened out for the rest). I though it was just getting back in the swing of working out but too much time has passes and am sore all the time. Both exercising and sleeping on my stomach as I used to. Had a double mastectomy with DIEP. Only the radiated side hurts and is tight. Oh well....dont know what to do about it. Just keep exercising it and hope for the best, I guess. UGH.
R

Dx 9/11/2012, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/10/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 12/7/2012 Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Oct 2, 2013 07:19PM FireKracker wrote:

Torigirl---soo glad you checked in.
Most of the sistas have moved on.
And it's soo good to hear things are going well for u.
I see we have a newbee...welcome to the thread that is very inactive.
May I suggest either u start from the begining(doubtful) or you go to the radiation recovery thread as it is much more active...sorry .
BTW I still have pain under the arm and I'm 3yrs.out.
Good luck..
Big huggggg
Grannydukes

Oct 18, 2013 06:29AM walley wrote:

Have a great weekend everyone. Hope everyone is doing well:)

Oct 18, 2013 10:08AM FireKracker wrote:

hi faithful Wally

How u doin?

Oct 19, 2013 05:29AM walley wrote:

Doing great grannydukes! Have a great day:)

Oct 19, 2013 10:30AM FireKracker wrote:

I think its just u and me on here now....always nice to see you.have a wonderful weekend,

Oct 19, 2013 08:26PM - edited Oct 19, 2013 08:27PM by GmaFoley

I'm here - kinda - not really - but will say hi - still having trouble with dizzy and nausea - down 14 lbs from not finding food appetizing any more - but I'm still kicking and working 46 hours a week - 40 at home computer job and 6 at fabric store on Sat.

Imagine God in His HUGE rocking chair, rocking you and saying, "It will be ok, you can do it. I will be right here for you". Oncotype score: 8, Rads 28, Bilateral arm, truncal LE and now Obstructive Sleep Apnea Dx 4/19/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 19, 2013 10:57PM FireKracker wrote:

GmaF..

U and Wally r the only ones who stop by here

Thank u for keeping this thread still goin

I'm always soo sorry to hear all the crap ur having still.

Always u are in my prayers.

You are one of the strongest sistas I no.

Bigggg hugggggggggg

FireKracker

Oct 25, 2013 04:40PM ToriGirl wrote:

Just checking in ladies...I will always check in here to see how my sisters are doing...

Love you all...praying everyday for you and your intentions...

Halloween almost here and I"m excited! Really haven't even noticed all the "pink" stuff!

Hugs!

"Sorrow carves the opening for joy later..." Dx 6/4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 26, 2013 07:30AM walley wrote:

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone doing? I love Fall:)My favorite season:) I live in Fort Myers, Fl and it is just now starting to cool down. Everyone have a great weekend:)

Happy Halloween!!!!!!

Dec 16, 2013 08:40AM GmaFoley wrote:

A retreat place for all: community.breastcancer.org/for... - feel free to contribute peaceful pictures.

I am still fighting nerve pain, 2.5 years now from the radiation. Now adding dizzy and nausea(for 4 months now; getting off the Gralise for the nerve pain and the pain is still there. Going in Tuesday to see my PCP because my Great pain doc left town and his associate ignores me. I'm tired and I figured others might need a retreat like me - hence my new topic where we can go and remember God is in control of my life and I trust Him to put the proper people and doctors in my way to help me. HUGS to all.

Jan 12, 2014 03:22PM ToriGirl wrote:

Sisters....

Praying this new year brings you so much joy that you burst...

Hugs and more hugs,

Tori

Feb 17, 2014 09:32PM Sunny1012 wrote:

hello all--I am new to all this.  I am due to start radiation soon but I am worried about long term side effects.  I would love for you all to let me know how you are currently doing, if you believe the benefits outweigh the risks and if you had it to do again would you?  Any side effects after the fact and Any other advice would be helpful.  I am ready to just run the other way as I feel any decision I make, I lose.  Please respond soon.  Thank you all.  

Feb 17, 2014 09:45PM TB90 wrote:

Sunny:  This does not appear to be a very active thread.  There is one called radiation therapy, ten years out, or something like that.  It has been much more active, so check that one out.  I will find the proper name. 

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/18/2013 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/20/2014 Breast

Feb 17, 2014 09:47PM TB90 wrote:

Long-term radiation side affects, 10 years after . . .

Dx 11/28/2013, DCIS, Grade 2 Surgery 12/18/2013 Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/20/2014 Breast

Feb 17, 2014 10:28PM Sunny1012 wrote:

hi TB90,

I see that your diagnosis timeline is close to mine I was diagnosed 10/28/13 and surgery 1/8/14.  Now time for radiation.  Are you doing radiation and if so how are you doing?

Feb 17, 2014 11:10PM FireKracker wrote:

yes this thread has ben quiet for quite some time

BUT

if u want some real good info read from the begining

We all finished treatment at the same time,and there is a lot of info that says it all

Any thing u can think of we had,done,liked,disliked and we were quite blunt about it.

Ill be checkin in if anyone needs help and some of the other sistas will be more then glad to give you any info.

Please dont be so fast to jump ship..

Feb 18, 2014 09:58AM GmaFoley wrote:

TB90 - All I have to say is if you can take the short 16 treatment route - do it - Many people have no problems, some people like me have permanent nerve damage from the full force 28 day treatment.  My sisters both had the 16 day and have no problems at all.  Good luck and you are always welcome here to ask questions. It is on my favorites list, so if someone says something I see it.  FireKracker was correct though. Start a page 1 and read through - I think all your questions will be answered.

Apr 5, 2016 09:58PM Frustratedwithdrain wrote:

I have just started radiation so I have no side effects yet. For those of you that had side effects how long after you started did they appear?

Apr 5, 2016 10:30PM Kicks wrote:

My burns came the day after last rad. No problems at all during rads. The deepest of the burns did finally heal 4 mths after last rad. It took using Domeboro soaks to finally dry it up.

Dx 8/7/2009, IBC, Stage IIIC, 19/19 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/25/2009 AC Surgery 10/21/2009 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 11/11/2009 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 2/4/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes

Apr 6, 2016 12:45AM Hopeful82014 wrote:

I started tx midweek and by maybe Tuesday of the following week started to see pinkness. The pinkness built slowly. I felt tired early on in the process but that was intermittent and unpredictable.

I never really burned much - mostly pink to dark pink and it started fading as soob as treatment ended - actually, once the boosts started the rest started to fade. I still have some issues with tightness and tenderness of the underlying tissues but my skin loomed completely normal again pretty quickly. My RO said I would do very well and she was right!

Good luck with your treatment!
Dx IDC

Apr 6, 2016 01:50PM GmaFoley wrote:

Unfortunately for me, I started the pink within the first week and had 28 treatments. By the time I was done I was very red and had damage to my lymph nodes.. It took a long while to heal. I would keep them aware and don't let them brush you off if you feel burned.. I got the "you don't know what pink is" snicker snicker..... At the end, when the original radiologist saw me he scrunched his nose and said, "I didn't think you would burn that bad" My skin did go back to normal..

Apr 6, 2016 04:01PM Kkubsky wrote:

I have had 13 out of 18 treatments and so far no big SEs. A bit of redness in the crease under my boob....started this week. No real fatigue from the radiation, mostly mental stress fatigue. My boob might be feeling a little beat up but it has been I suppose!! Hoping it doesn't get worse these last few days.....

Dx 1/28/2016, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 2/24/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/21/2016 Whole-breast: Breast

Apr 8, 2016 12:16AM mom45 wrote:

I finished radiation 4 days ago. I'm really burnt on top of my breast and open raw spots on the bottom. I am miserable right now. A bra is not possible. I'm using a spray cream they gave on the bottom.it forms,sort of, a barrier for the skin.As long as I lay on my back. I'm a 42 dd. So it stays warm and moist in that area. Hurting and wondering if this will ever heal!��

Page 140 of 141 (4,211 results)