Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Merilee
Merilee Member Posts: 734

Hi I know there is another thread but I thought, since it is 60 pages old, I would start a new one for those of us just finishing radiation. My hope is that we can discuss remedies to avoid, tight skin, discuss the emotional side of being at this point of treatment, continue to support one another and keep in touch.

Comments

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Hi every body. I am slathering on the moisture but most of it is making my shirts  oily so I went to the Goodwill and bought oversized shirts, trimmed the collar of so they don't rub on my chest and will toss them in the trash when done with them.

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited September 2011

I'm almost done Merilee - see you soon :)

• bb226
    bb226 Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2011

Thanks Merilee for starting this thread. How did you celebrate?

MamaV you are so close...I am excited that you 2 are done or will be soon.

Anyone starting tamoxifen soon? I am scheduled to start on Friday.

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

bb226-I am going to celebrate by visiting my daughter in the Smokey mountains for a few days. She is taking me to a waterfall we can get in. I go next Saturday.

• Merilee
    edited September 2011
    Let the healing begin. I claim wellness, Pheonix rising.
  • FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited September 2011
    Merilee----everyday we have new sistas join the after rads thread...if you or any of the other sistas who are just finishing up rads need any help please come visit us....just jump in.....GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE JUST FINISHING UP RADS......LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!God bless all of us...huggggggggs K
  • Merilee
    edited September 2011

Thanks Granny Dukes

• MamaV
    edited September 2011

Bb I started tamoxifen before rads. Only SE - hot flashes

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Mama V, so glad that is going well.

• MamaV
    edited September 2011

Me too!

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

So happy I am done with radiation

Unknown E...

Still rooting for those of you in the midst of it.

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Chest felt so hot yesterday and with it being Saturday the doc was not available. I ended up calling a fireman to come over which some how magically made me for get  about my hot chest LOL

Rick

• MamaV
    edited September 2011

Again Merilee I love it!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2011

Congratulations to everyone who made it through!  I will be here to join this group on October 7th.   I have only had nine so far with minimal discomfort, but I still have a way to go. 

Can't wait to really belong here!  Yippee!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 896
    edited September 2011

Merilee I am wearing all of my husband's white t-shirts.  I am slathering and peeling, but I think every day since the end of rads seems to be better than the last.  Today was chilly here in Minnesota, so I was able to wear a light jacket over my white t-shirt when I went out to walk my dog.  I really didn't feel like going anywhere over the holiday, however.  I have managed to do some badly needed work around the house, however, so energy is coming back!  Love the phoenix!!

• gigil
    edited September 2011

And the fireman!!

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

GIGI- I find a bit more energy everyday as well. I am doing some peeling but I expected that. Who was it that said "peel me like a grape"? darn her LOL I think it was the dingy blonde from Taxi.

• bb226
    edited September 2011

Hey everyone it is cool here also. Allelulia! I get to where a sweatshirt over my sport bra and dressing. Off the pain pills that I had to take Thursday, Friday and part of Satrday. Now that the area started peeling the intense pain is gone! Things are good here in Wisconsin.

Merilee I am thinking of moving to your state if you have firemen like that. Wink

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited September 2011

Hi everyone,

I was blessed with some emotional recovery yesterday when DH and I attended the wedding of the daughter of a dear friend.  The bride's parents even invited us to sit at their family table during the reception.  I was nervous being in a crowd for the first time since completing treatment, but the evening was wonderful.  Everyone was so kind and welcoming.

Let the healing continue for all of us! 

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Elizabeth- that is so awesome and yes, let the healing continue! Thanks for posting this bright spot!

• annmck
    annmck Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011

Hi. I just joined this site and am glad to be a member. I was diagnosed last December, had a right side mastectomy in January, had chemotherapy from March to June, and radiation therapy from June to August. My body is happy to begin recovering from the past few months. I found this site because I have a big pain in the right side of my neck that hurts when I turn my head to the right. I think it's from being on the radiation table and having to turn to the left. I'm going to my chiropractor this week to see if it can be relieved. Other than a little tiredness, this is my only physical side effect from radiation. It feels a little weird to be done with everything. It's a long haul!!!!  

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Hi annmck

I am so glad to  hear you are on the mend. I sure agree it is a long haul. Or maybe we could say a long crawl! LOL but we made it to the other side and that means we are amazing!

• gigil
    edited September 2011

Elizabeth, so glad you were able to go to a wedding and just forget about the C word for awhile, and that you had a good time.  Why is it that it is so difficult for some of us to be in a large group of people when we go through this?  I am finding myself having the same feelings.  I just want to avoid groups and having people looking at me with concern in their eyes.

annmck, hello.  Glad to hear you are done with a lot of your treatment.  The neck pain is not fun though.  I have a lot of neck pain, so I can sympathize.  Hope you find relief.  I do qigong, which is an ancient Chinese method of stretching and moving.  It helps a lot with my neck.  I also use aspercreme on the area, and alternate hot and cold compresses.  I haven't tried a chiro yet.  I am a little afraid of that.  A nice massage might help though. 

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Good suggestions GiGi. I also do Yoga which helps with tight mucles.

I am just now getting to where I want to go out.  I have very short hair and still get the "look" but when you are completely bald it is very hard to watch the looks. I stayed home a lot this last 6 months. Every time I would run into someone that knew me I had to explain blah blah blah, I hated it.

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

Also I wanted to ask if anyone else experienced this. My shower tends to flair up my chest, is this normal right after treatment is done. I am 3 days out.

• bb226
    edited September 2011

Merilee I was told to be careful in the shower...no direct spray to the breast, lukewarm water, short duration, patting dry. I can't say that I am having problems but I do know that the breast is red after showering and calms down within 5-10 minutes.

Just a FYI...I am 1 week further out then you and I have noticed big healing happening since this past weekend. The color is fading, the skin is not as dry thus I am lotioning only 2-3 times a day (stopping aquaphor), no pain, no pulling of the skin, etc. Just thought I would mention it so you can look forward to this. May-be I will try an old underwire bra for a few hours today?

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

BB thanks for saying that, I guess I can hold on to sanity until next week LOL

• gigil
    edited September 2011

Merilee, I was told not to let the direct shower hit my breast as well.  I think you and I were done about the same time.  My breast was less tender in the shower today.  I am still shielding the skin there however when I shower.  I put my regular lighter lotion on today and one of my regular cotton bras.  I smeared a bit of aquafor in my armpit region near my sentinel lymph node scar, which is the one spot that is still pretty red.  I went the whole day with no pain or sensation.  It was the first day in so long when my breast wasn't the main thing on my mind.  What a treat!

• Merilee
    edited September 2011

I know what you mean. I had major peeling yesterday and today feels less tight and itchy.  The new skin under is tender , but is taking regular lotion now. So nice not to me sticky with greasy stuff.

• pat01
    pat01 Member Posts: 913
    edited September 2011

Had my last treatment today, so thought I would mosey on over here from the August rads thread.  It was an emotional day for me, kind of caught me by surprise - I'm not elated as much as relieved that this part of my treatment is over.  I'm a bit red and itchy, but not bad at all, and looking forward to healing and getting some energy back.

Pat