We are 184,344 members in 80 forums discussing 139,622 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After → Topic: starting rads feb 2017

Topic: starting rads feb 2017

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Jan 23, 2017 12:48AM

annoyingboob wrote:

I know many of my January surgery sisters are joining me, but I thought id start a new thread for all the february rads sisters.

im 'just' doing external apbi, but im a little freaked out, especially about skin burns bc I have such sensitive skin.

if you have already done rads, what are your top tips? has anyone done external abpi?

xx

Dx 12/2016, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 11 of 11 (314 results)

Posts 301 - 314 (314 total)

Mar 20, 2017 10:52AM nem126 wrote:

Hey Pamela,

For the uterus ultrasound with saline- take some pain meds. I had that done a few years ago. It's not awful, you'll get through it fine, but it is definitely crampy... I had wished someone had told me that beforehand because I went in stone cold sober, haha.

Just curious- are you doing the paragard IUD for birth control? I'm going to be getting that in the next few weeks since I can't be on the pill anymore.

Sarah

Diagnosed at 32. Life is weird! Dx 12/6/2016, ILC/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Mar 20, 2017 07:01PM Elem wrote:

Well my friends ,

My beach retreat is over and today is day 1 of Tamoxifen . Hopefully ,this part of tx. will go down without a hitch . Still healing from rads , but so glad to be done. Hope the best for everyone still doing theirs and also a big shout out to all of you who have finished up this past week . Congrats! I will ask shoregirl about taking vitamin K2.. thank you Aboob . Thanks for all the compliments on the pics and finishing rads. I love you all . Without the group , I cannot imagine what this journey would have been like.💗🌸

Dx 12/13/2016, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+ Dx 1/4/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 20, 2017 07:36PM - edited Mar 20, 2017 07:37PM by Mamasha

HI elem good luck taking that first dose. It's just something we gotta do.....unfortunately.

One week on tamoxifen and I really haven't noticed any changes. Some mornings my bad knee seems a little more stiff but not sure I can blame the pill. I feel really alone taking this since I don't see my MO until 5/4 and wasn't told abut any supplements to take with it.

Those boost must deliver a punch because I can still feel that zingers from time to time and I finished 10 days ago. Actually felt more discomfort since ending than I did during actual treatment.

HAPPY SPRING!

Dx 12/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/4/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 2/6/2017

Mar 20, 2017 07:54PM Elem wrote:

Yes Mamasha , I too , feel more effects afterwards than during the rad tx. You are right about tamox. What can we do? I was told that the AI's is generally prescribed for women who are post menopausal like myself. I am 61 and therefore , would not have taken tamoxifen.However ,my bone dex test indicated the start of osteopenia and also I have hyperlipidemia which is a high cholesterol situation for which I have a stent and take a statin . My MO said that the aromatase inhibitors would not be wise. He felt the risks outweighed the benefits. So he said I could try this and see if it was tolerable . I will have a blood test after 3 months and also a gynecological exam down the road.But that is all I know and probably just want to keep it that way, so as not freak myself out which I do so well these days! Please keep in touch either here or through private message . Would love to sstay in touch with so many here. I realize we must move on , but I love the friendships and bonds we have made !

🌸💗👍🙏

Dx 12/13/2016, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+ Dx 1/4/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 20, 2017 10:21PM Pamela23 wrote:

I was told today that the dark spots that have appeared should fade in a couple months. Who actually talks to us about the Tamoxifen. our RO or MO? No mention of it yet. Also, I wonder why there are differences in doing 4 week like Elem vs 6 like me? My calcifications were only 3mm and they kinda told me it's a blanket protocol so I'm getting the same amount as someone who had 2 cm. Wish these protocols were a little more customized!

9/15/2016, IDC, Left, 5mm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2016, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/6/2016 Lumpectomy: Left

Mar 20, 2017 11:03PM annoyingboob wrote:

Pamela, sorry you got an extra few weeks :-(((

Mo is the one who will talk about tamoxifen, although my ro encouraged me take it all 5 years.

Dx 12/2016, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/3/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 20, 2017 11:59PM Elem wrote:

Not sure Pamela23 but I am not sure what dosage of radiation I received either. What I do know is that my skin is very burned from my tx. I am dark skinned and didn't think I would end up with such blackened skin. They talked about it starting to look pink after the 3rd week , so I did not expect this much discoloration and peeling . Those little black dots are starting to fade away though. It was also my breast surgeon who initially mentioned having to take tamoxifen although it was protocol talk , he would not be prescribing it or following up with me during that tx. Then after my appointment with the MO before rads was completed , we touched upon the subject of hormone therapy . Initially for me , we discussed Aromatase inhibitors, but after tests for bone density and my heart , the MO thought it best I use the tamoxifen if I decided to do it. He showed me the protocols on the computer from national guidelines. For people like us with tumors under 2cm it was to be considered , as was rads . I was already finishing up rads at this point. I believe I based that decision doing the rads on the 15% recurrence rate the RO mentioned. I really had a headspin going during the whirlwind of the early dx .days. It was overwhelming! But I felt like I should try to lower recurrence to the lowest percentage possible , which in my case , with rads and hormones , was about 3%. Based on no lymph involvement, size and genetics . But it is still scary and confusing to me.I am not sure if grade of tumor changes anything . I believe I was grade 2. I just hope we are all doing the right thing and never have to revisit this again . 🌺🌸💗

Mar 21, 2017 06:44PM makeiki3 wrote:

Hi All! I've been reading/following this thread for awhile and decided to throw this out to everyone. I'm exactly 11 weeks EOC and am continuing with HP, as opposed to TCHP. I have done 10 of 28 radiation sessions so far. My skin looks good so far. I have developed an allergic reaction to aloe vera so we shall see what happens if/when my skin actually gets to that burnt place. Wondering if anyone has had this problem? Another problem I've been experiencing is a serious loss of smell and taste! I had the metallic taste after my TCHP for about 10 days each time, but nothing like this where I seriously cannot taste anything or smell anything. A nurse I asked about this said that it was probably due to chemo....but I seriously doubt I'd be developing these issues now. I'm just hoping that my senses return to me after all is said and done. When we are sick, down and out, fatigued beyond belief, is it too much to ask that we can at least enjoy food?!?! SickTired LOL!!! I find it hilarious actually and just trying to keep a sense of humor about it all. My hair is coming in which is great....but it's coming in in all different directions, like cow licks! Every day is a new day, a new challenge, a day closer to being done with this all. Thank you all for your stories and sharing of your experiences!!!

PEACE!Heart

Dx 7/20/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 8/19/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Mar 21, 2017 07:00PM CeliaC wrote:

Elem and Pamela - I also do not understand the radiation dosage or # treatments, or why some have difficult skin experiences vs not. Last of 20 Rads was today. Very fair skinned, but have no burn & only a very slight pink/irritation. Go figure! Did use Miaderm cream 4x a day & also prescribed Lidocaine 2% and Mometasone Furoate (articles indicate this is really good for preventing irritation). Miaderm not cheap at $36 or so per tube, but felt any $ spent to avoid being crispy was worth it. Like everything else with C, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. For those who are having skin issues - ask your RO or Rad Nurse what they can give you to help. Hugs and best wishes to all.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 21, 2017 07:05PM annoyingboob wrote:

congrats celia c!! pow pow pow - take that cancer!! remember, continue to take it easy, as you may be more tired and pink next week than you are this week. happy healing!!

Mar 21, 2017 08:17PM Elem wrote:

Yay Celiac

So happy for you . Major milestone!

Mar 21, 2017 08:25PM Elem wrote:

Yes Annoyingboob,

The fatigue is hitting me like a ton of bricks everyday around. 2-3pm . My eyes just drop and I feel like I am drained. The goid news is , my skin is doing better . Still have rogue pain in and around incisions and nipple, but using pure aloe from my plants has eliminated the peeling, itching and burning. Using an ointment and some pure coconut oil at night on a non stick pad for the nipple... ahhhh relief! The fatigue was present last week after finishing rads , and only slightly the last week of it, but it seems more pronounced this week .I also started the tamoxifen 20mg. on Monday . Godd luck to everyone finishing up. One step closer to leaving cancer behind!

Mar 21, 2017 08:39PM annoyingboob wrote:

im feeling a bit more energetic this week, so heres hoping you bounce back too. but give in to those naps and just let your body heal - its been a rough few months for all of us with lots of poking and prodding. my body just needed stillness and quiet and lots of sleep. had a super busy weekend, but im back to stillness and gentleness. we all need a little extra tlc!!!

Mar 21, 2017 10:30PM Mamasha wrote:

Congrats Celia!!!!you are DONE !!!

Dx 12/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/4/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 2/6/2017

Page 11 of 11 (314 results)