Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation July 2017

castigame
castigame Member Posts: 336

had a RO consul this morning. She was almost as good as my BS who removed total of 5 tumors from both sides. RO said bc left one being stage 1A, no pos node and 1cm margin, no left side radiation for me. Huge relief re not having to risk heart damage. Right side even though margin was 7mm due to 4 pos nodes. I need 30 sessions which includes 5 boosts. Bc my port is on the right side, I get to demand the removal.

Tentative start date is July 26th. The rad place is only 3 miles from work which is another bonus.

RO explained everything she could. I just need to take a few additional small beatings.. I cannot wait to be somewhat normal again.

Comments

• ML1209
    ML1209 Member Posts: 153

Rebamacfan - I don't have actual start date, but will have ct scan with mapping next Tuesday. Ready to get this last leg of the marathon started. I am with you .... was just wondering earlier today if I will ever feel like myself again. I don't live too far from Reba's farm :)Nerdy. I pass it everytime I go visit my parents. It is for sale now though. Run into her here and there .... last time was at Olive Garden.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 314

Hi, rebamacfan (I love her, too!) and ML1209 - I, too, will be starting my radiation in July. I have my consult appointment with the radiology oncologist on Wednesday 6/28.

Was diagnosed in April, and had a lumpectomy with 4 nodes removed as well (1 positive for cancer cells, 3 negative). Since PET-CT showed activity on my spine, and a biopsy confirmed presence of cancer cells (but no visible tumors), my onc is opting for radiation first, to be followed by chemo. Oh, and he's starting hormone therapy same time as the radiation.

I have no clue what to expect, so am reading as much as I can here. Hard to wrap my head around the change in plans (I was scheduled to start chemo in late May, then all the scans started showing the stuff on my spine), and trying to adjust.

I guess I'll be checking in here instead of the "Starting chemo" topic, LOL

• ML1209

Hi Ciaci - I go tomorrow for my CT scan and mapping, then should start radiation in 5 to 7 days. Will they be doing radiation to the spine area only at this time? I finished chemo back in April, Had my surgery abut 5 weeks ago, now time for this leg of the marathon. I will start hormone therapy when this is over. The June group had a great list on page 2 I believe of things that have helped them. That's the thing with the big "C" - it seems to have a mind of it's own. I am guessing others will be joining us as these boards seem to fill up quickly Sad. Keep us posted.

• skelly
    skelly Member Posts: 4

Hello, all,

I had my mapping session yesterday, and will be starting rads on July 5. Best wishes, everyone!

• ML1209

Hi skelly - i had mapping yesterday as well. They said they will call to schedule start date. Will be in a week, so we will be on same schedule.

Hugs all around!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

skelly and ML - I'm at the other end of rads, having started on May 22. I've had 28 regular treatments and will start my boosts- five - tomorrow. Finish on July 7.

Am I fatigued? Yes. Am I red? Yes but not too bad. Am I sore? A little. But overall it hasn't been too bad at all. The daily grind of getting to the treatment center gets old real fast but the time has actually gone by very quickly.

I'm looking forward to putting this part of the unasked-for adventure behind me, not because it's been terrible but because I can't wait to rediscover myself. I had a burst of energy yesterday which was encouraging - I am still in there!!!

Best of luck to you as you get started. My attitude was, the sooner you start, the sooner you finish.

MJ

• Tinfusr
    Tinfusr Member Posts: 1

Hi all! This is a great forum to share information and learn how others deal with everything that comes after a breast cancer diagnosis. I had a lumpectomy May 25, and will start radiation on July 10. I am hoping the effects from the radiation won't be too bad, but my left breast is still a little sore since the surgery and I hate to add more damage to an already scarred area.

Many of your comments have helped me become somewhat calmer about what to expect. It seems that many come through it without too much difficulty. I will continue to work parttime so I am hoping the fatigue won't be too debilitating.

I look forward to gaining more info in the days ahead.

• Mnsnowflake
    Mnsnowflake Member Posts: 6

Hello Fellow July Rads, I start July 6 th and finish Aug 2. I finished chemo 6/12 and will continue with Herceptin every 3 weeks until March. They are letting me start rads a little early as I was supposed to wait a full month. I'm glad to get this phase going. I was told by my MO that I would have 5-6 weeks rad but they have me set up for 4 weeks. Just wondering many weeks others have to do? I go in for my infusion tomorrow and I'm reluctant to question the length of treatment as I like the shorter plan😄 Wishing smooth sailing to you all

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336

Hello,

I am so in love w this blog. I just found an interrsting information. I forget the name (chemo brain I even was going to walk out of supermarket this morning wo paying) she said she started slathering 100% Aloe gel a few days before radiation. Found it under radiation section topic share inspiring messages her screen name is Gulfwater. Her skin only got pink and dry. It makes total sense. My RO gave me sample of Aquaphor already. I am going to put reminder on my phone to start slathering

Mimi

• blooming
    blooming Member Posts: 58

Hi Folks,

I'm scheduled to start whole breast rads next week. I've been finding very useful info in the forums for May rads and June rads. Looks like Tappermom posted here recently. I believe you started the May group. It is very helpful to get a sense of the experiences of those further along on the journey.

I've been trying to prepare. I bought some lotion. I have large breasts so I'm worried about supporting them and about keeping skin away from skin on the rads side. Have received great suggestions so I've been checking out cotton camis, cotton bras, and looking through old cotton t-shirts. We'll see what works!

This may be a silly question: I saw that we're supposed to be careful about sun exposure. Is that **only** for the radiated area, or should we be careful even if we are just walking in the sun or sitting around with covered top and covered sleeves??

• Mquara
    Mquara Member Posts: 56

Hi all. I just started rads last Monday and have 7 weeks of rads so right now I have done 8 of 35 sessions.

I have large breasts too and was told no underwire bras so I am using only front closed sleep bras. It seems to be working well as the underside of my breast is the area my RO is most concerned about and the bra "encloses" my breast so that there is no skin on skin contact. I use Miaderm immediately after rads. I slather it all over my breast and underarm before I get dressed.

At night I have my husband slather on a thick layer of Aquaphor. It's really greasy and icky so I then wear a really old, thin and large tee shirt. I tuck the fabric under my breast and leaves it like that. When I wake up my breast are armpit area still has some residue on it so I feel it's been working. I have to make sure I wash it all off before rads. In the shower I have been using a terry cloth/sponge soap holder and am using the Miaderm soap.

The most annoying thing so far is washing the stupid tee shirt every other day lol. Physically some pings and zaps but nothing else but the RO said most symptoms show up after the first two weeks. I am 5 weeks PFC so I am still dealing with chemo side effects, hopefully I won't get any rads side effects. Lol

If all goes well and we stay on schedule I will finish all of my cancer treatment(minus tamoxifen) on August 14th. 3 days before the 16th anniversary of the day my mom died from breast cancer with brain mets.

Best of luck to everybody.

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45

Hello everyone! I am starting Rads on Monday July 10th (28 sessions over 5 1/2 weeks). I fell like I am not ready yet, just had surgery on May 18th and still recovering. My TEs are painful. I keep telling myself the sooner I get through it the sooner I can have my exchange surgery. LOL

My RO also said no bras. The nurse said cami is okay if not too tight. I invested invested in three strechy camis and a bunch of cotton camis. I also dug out about 5 old t-shirts to wear home to keep from ruining my clothes with the oil. I was told to use Calendula oil twice a day along with Aquaphor. I am considering buying aloe vera as I think the Calendula oil is too itchy.

I am nervous and I don't really know what to expect.

Dizzygirl

• ML1209

Hi all - my first treatment is tomorrow, July 10 -ready to get this started and over with!! I was told they would give me deodorant and cream, so I haven't really bought anything. I want to buy one of everything that everyone has suggested just so I will be ready ha! what works for one, may not work for another - so not sure what to do.

Blooming - I am curious as well about the sun exposure. Have you found out anymore?

Mqua - I am sorry about your mom. Those anniversaries are already hard and then to be in your own battle makes it even harder I am sure.

Prayers and hugs all around! Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing!

• pzavz89
    pzavz89 Member Posts: 1

My first treatment is also this week on the 12th. My RO gave me suggestions regarding creams to use but never mentioned anything about not wearing a bra? What is the reason why we shouldn't? Best of Luck!!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

pzavz89 - my RO didn't tell me not to wear a bra but I took that step on my own. One day I felt really sore, took the bra off and breathed a sigh of relief. I think my breast is swollen from the treatments and the bra rubbed in all the wrong places. My nipple is sore. I've been wearing tank tops with shelf bras (I have small breasts) and those are comfortable. I tried one of my bras on the other day and it was a no-go. Looks like I'll have to buy new ones but I'm going to wait until the swelling goes down.

It's all about comfort!

MJ

• ML1209

pzavz - what creams did you RO suggest?

• Mquara
    Mquara Member Posts: 56

pzavz89 I was told no underwire bra, only a soft sleep bra that fully encloses the breast. My RO's concern is chafing of tender skin with the wires and the underside of my breast with sweat etc. My skin right now is very tender, as is my nipple. The sleep bras are rubbing against the skin under my arm but if I take my bra off to give my armpit some relief then my nipple chafes on my shirt. It's a no win situation right now.

Ml1209 my RO recommends aquaphor and Miaderm. I had chemo at CTCA in Chicago and when I was considering getting rads there too that RO recommended Calendula and aquaphor. I am using all three. I use Miaderm immediately after rads, aquaphor at night and calendula during the day on weekends.

• Ang905
    Ang905 Member Posts: 1

I'm starting July 12. Very nervous already went through a mastectomy and 12 sessions of chemo. How did you all prepare for rads ?

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161

Are everyone here having the same kind of radiation? I am very frustrated now. My insurance keeps denying the the kind of radiation I am going to have. I will have left breast radiated so I am concerned about my heart and lung will be damaged just using the regular radiation. Doctor is appealing for me now.

• blooming

Hi,

I'm scheduled to start rads tomorrow (July11).

ML1209 and DizzyGirl, did you start today (July 10)? ML1209, I haven't learned anything more about sun exposure. If I do, I'll signal.

Stephilosophy, I also need left breast radiation so I understand the concern. My insurance company has also denied the type of rads that the doctor prescribed - IMRT - Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy. I'm glad that your doctor is appealing the decision for you. I hope that it's approved. I'm also waiting to hear about my status. I believe that there are also ways of trying to protect the heart/lungs for those with left-sided radiation. There's a breathing technique that works for some. I'd also like to know the types of radiation that others on the forum are having.

I'm sending good wishes to all who are going through rads and all who are starting. I appreciate that some who are completing rads this month have taken the time to share their expertise. Tappermom - who completed rads last week - comes to mind. I don't know if I'm missing anyone. Thanks!

• ML1209

1 down, 24 to go. Easy process and super quick. Appreciated that they play music. Journey - Don't Stop Believing .... great song to keep in your head all day.

I was told to use corn starch for deodorant from here on and they will give me cream on Wedensday. Not sure why they are waiting .... I look a slight bit pink already so will be asking tomorrow. I did do the green tea wipes 3 times today and soaked in an epsom salt bath tonight.

Prayers and hugs all around. Hope everyone is hanging on there!

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45

Yes, I had 1 of 28 yesterday. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't have to hold my breath so my heart must fall out of the way. It was about 20 minutes of laying on the table with them adding even more sharpie lines and then it was over. I did see the RO as he sees patients of either Monday or Tuesday. I got a 2:45 time slot which isn't ideal but works for me. I can flex my work schedule. The RO again said to use Calendula Oil and Aquaphor twice a day. They also made a mold of my chest which they will use every other day, it somehow concentrates the radiation closer to the skin level. RO explained it as giving him the ability to stop using it as needed if the skin get to red. I have faith in him as he came well recommended.

Dizzygirl

• ML1209

3 down, 22 to go :)! So far so good. My RO told me to use MPM Radiaplex gel ..... anyone else?

Prayers and hugs all around....

• blooming

Hi Folks,

Had 3 treatments so far. All seems ok. I feel some heat when the rads are delivered but I figure I must be imaging that! I was told to begin aquaphor on day 5 and then a prescription cream next week.Today I feel mild nausea. It's NOT a common rads SE. I figure it must be something else.

DizzyGirl, you said you did not have to hold your breath.Did your RO explain why you wouldn't have to hold your breath during treatment? I had been asked to try holding my breath, but I couldn't do it, so I've been worried about that. I had heard someone say that there is a technique where the machine can respond and pause while you're breathing but I don't know if this is true!!

pzavz89, I think others answered your question. I was told not to wear an underwire bra because it can irritate the skin, which could lead to complications. I was told OK to wear wireless, 100% cotton bras with seamless cups if I need to wear a bra (e.g., when going out). However, RO recommends going wearing a cami and during the night wear a t-shirt cut up the front and tied under the breast folds to provide support. (That minimizes skin to skin contact.) I have very large breasts, so I need some support to keep skin away from skin. Others on rads forums have said they wear camis, tanks, and old t-shirts around the house.

Anyone else told to wear 100% cotton? I'm finding it a bit difficult to find pure, 100% cotton items (bras, camis, etc) in my large size! I've ordered some that look promising. I bought some camis that came highly recommended and that are very comfy but this AM, I realized they but include some spandex!

Sending good wishes to all.

• JoaniePA
    JoaniePA Member Posts: 10

Hi all,

Long.. sorry! I had my first treatment, on both sides, on July 3rd.. will go six weeks. Today was the 9th treatment (off for 4th of July). Just now starting to get some tenderness.. feels like a mild sunburn. Also, starting this Monday I am completely wiped out with fatigue by 6:00 in the evening. Bed at 9, awake at 6, no 2:00 am bathroom run. Best sleep I've had in years! Lol!

I had DD size breasts going in to this journey, and while they are smaller, it's been a challenge keeping skin off skin. I was told to keep my hands on my hips and throw my elbows back like a diva to keep everything opened up near the armpits. The rad onc nurse laughs when I walk in and calls me "Double Diva". I have been cutting t-shirts up the front, and I'm sure they're probably not 100% cotton, but they feel like cotton and they're soft so it's been a real help around the house. I also cut up under the armholes so they don't chafe - already notice this as a hotspot. I normally wear a size 10, but bought a long 2X soft cotton summer nightgown to wear around the house over top the T-shirt get up. Best thing I've found for at home comfort.

I have 4 T-shirts and when I get to the last one I soak the other three (along with the under-boob cotton panties)in hot water, a bit of laundry detergent, and a quarter cup of oxyclean for at least a couple of hours. Then wash hot with two rinses. So far it seems to remove the aquaphor.

Everyone involved in this, from mammogram through rads has been so great. Would like to figure out something nice to do for them when this is all over.

Joanie

• ML1209

1 week down, 4 to go. So far, going well I think. I am a bit on edge though as I felt a lump today right under my incision as I was putting on gel. I haven't felt around too much since LX because everything was swollen and sore. I do have a biozorb prosthesis and was told I could feel it, so maybe that is what it is. I see my LEOT on Monday so she can check it ans get the NP if she thinks I need to be checked. Of course, I want it checked now.

Joanie - same here, so blessed to have such a great team taking care of me.

Also, I have found the Bali Comfort Revolution bra to be amazing.

• eripaulie
    eripaulie Member Posts: 4

Hi Everyone,

Today was my second radiation treatment. I really haven't had any side effects yet so I haven't asked about or been told to put on any creams or anything, or been told what to wear as far as shirts and bras go. So I'm just going about my merry way like normal so far. I'm sure I'll ask about such things if I have problems. The only change I have made so far is that I have been going without shaving and using deodarant. I smell by the end of the day, but I really dont care!

Someone asked above about the breathing test (My left breast is involved). When I went for simulation two weeks ago they tested with the breath holding apparatus and without. When they called me back for a confirmation appointment I was told that I didn't need to hold my breath when I start treatments, it didn't make a difference holding my breath with my body type and structure.

I am having the whole breast radiated (after one lumpectomy and one re-excision for a close margin 4 weeks ago). No chemo, oncotype was 7. I believe it is called IMRT radiation or something like that.

Ill be following this post since all of you are right here with me!

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22

Hi all! Hope you don't mind if I join you. I started a four week treatment course on July 5th. Had my 8th treatment today. I've been pink and getting pinker since day three. My boob, which was big to begin with is swollen and tender to the touch. I drive 100 miles each way to the treatment center and then go straight to work in a hot kitchen most days. This is exhausting!! 12 more to go, can't wait to be done!! Hang in there everyone!!

• ML1209

Christinarose - that's alot of miles! I know you are tired. I was told to use cornstarch for deodorant. Not sure if it helps, but it feels good. I was told to wear whatever bra felt good. So far, I am ok. Have some ahoulder and inner arm pain so going to see LEOT on Monday. Hang in there!

Hugs and prayers all around

• christinarose
    christinarose Member Posts: 22

Thanks ML. I did get some cornstarch but haven't tried it yet. Do you feel like it keeps you dry and helps with body odor?I wouldn't be so concerned about that but I work in a hot kitchen and one of my assistants is almost always beside me. I don't want to pick up any new nicknames associated with body odor if I can help it!!