Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation April 2019

For those starting or continuing radiation in April 2019. Share your experience and tips.

Comments

• Fritzmylove
    Fritzmylove Member Posts: 262
    edited April 2019

I start rads this month. Actually sitting in the waiting room to see my RO. Ready to get this show on the road!!

• chantalbe
    chantalbe Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2019

I start rads on April 8th.

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited April 2019

Hi Everyone! Will be joining you shortly. Had my planning session on 3/25 and I’m all marked up with markers and stickers. Just waiting for the hospital to call me with my start date.

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2019

I can hardly wait -- I start next Monday and will have the hypo fractionated (sp) radiation which will last 3 weeks. Is anyone else going with this type? This is my last step before the drug therapy. I can't believe it's almost over. Maybe I can start having fun again soon.

• RosieRed
    edited April 2019

Just got the call. Will start radiation on 4/4. Here we go.....

• desertpup
    desertpup Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2019

In my last 2 weeks of 30 rounds. So far so good. Skins holding up nicely but I must admit, the fatigue is kicking my ass. Cranky, moody and tired. Can't wait for it to be done and start cleansing my body and soul of all the crap. I know it's helping me but it's still a toxin and I need to feel better and moved on.

• Freebee
    Freebee Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2019

I start Rads April 10. Dreading this. I so want this to be over

• jessie123
    jessie123 Member Posts: 134
    edited April 2019

Freebee -- this is the only part of treatment that I don't dread. A friend of mine had radiation and she said it was really easy. At the very end she got a rash, but it cleared up quickly. It's just a pain having to go 5 days a week. I know everyone is different, but I bet most get through this pretty well. I think we are going to be OK for this part of treatment. However, we'll know soon enough -- hope I don't have to take back my words.

• grandmaadams
    grandmaadams Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2019

Hello ladies … good luck to all of you I've finished my rads, 15 whole breast and 6 boosts. I'm posting because if you've read some of the posts, a lot of women are surprised to discover they have male radiation therapists. When you go in for radiation your breasts are exposed to make sure you are lined up correctly and some treatment centers leave you completely exposed for the entire time you're being treated. Some cover you back up after aligning. A lot of women are not bothered by male therapists, some have had very good experiences with considerate male therapists but some women who are survivors of sexual assault find having male therapists distressing. This is not the same thing as putting aside your modesty. The process of the treatment with males hovering over them can be re-traumatizing. I would suggest if you would be bothered by being left exposed or having male therapists please have a conversation with your RO. Knowledge is power. Good luck to you. 

http://cancer.nautil.us/article/268/when-cancer-treatment-re-traumatizes-survivors-of-sexual-trauma

• Freebee
    edited April 2019

Thank you Jess, that’s encouraging!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited April 2019

I am not a sexual abuse survivor, but I totally loved my male techs. I had three on a regular basis, and two women. My #1 favorite was an adorable young man who was so warm, charming, and funny. Just a delight.

I had proton rads, so they have to uncover you for the actual zaps but they covered me between zaps. They always announced what they were doing (until I had memorized the routine). I found them 100% gentle and respectful and lovely. I brought a case of wine to my rad techs on the last day as a thank you present. On a personal level they were A+.

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2019

PS my "warning" would be re skin. Start now using a good heavy moisturizer on the skin of your breast, chest, collarbone area. The more moist and healthy your skin is the more protected it will be. But you may burn anyhow. I am fair and I burned towards the end (I did 28 days). I would say by #21 I was very red, so that last week or so felt 'over the top' in terms of my poor boob. The level of a gnarly sunburn. But I got through it. I did ask for (an received) a medication to help my breast heal because it felt extremely inflamed. I do not think it is routine but it can prevent fibrosis due to rads, and I decided to take it... it's Vitamin E and Pentoxifyllin.

The apex of discomfort was roughly 5 days after I finished Rads... the "burn" can worsen for a couple of days after. I am now 2 weeks beyond my last rads, and I am 90% normal again, 100% comfortable, with only a few small patches of skin that still need to peel but mostly new healthy skin. I did my normal exercise routine yesterday and felt great.

• Wereflyn
    Wereflyn Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2019

Hello Ladies,

Tomorrow will be 15/33 IMRT of my left breast. I had a double mass with 1/3 node involvement. My RO prescribed Mometasone Furo Cream (RX) twice a day and green tea topically 4 times a day.

So far so good, I have supplemented it with various creams and aloe plant juice. I'm hardly discolored. Having treatment on my left side they are using an additional layer to protect my heart and lungs and I'm not sure if that is helping my skin.

I primarily have male techs and I could have given birth to all of them. I joke around with them to put them at ease because I figure it must be hard from them too. I agree with reaching out to your RO or a female nurse to discuss any concerns you may have in this area.

It has helped me to get out and walk even if I'm tired. I drink a lot of water and try to eat 60g of protein a day. This is my last part of cancer treatment since I have completed chemo and have begun the hormone blocking therapy. Next up my final reconstruction (exchanging expander for implant) and I will have my body back.

Freebee.... I was where you are and what has helped me is my techs allowed me to wear Bluetooth headphones putting one behind my head and that has helped me considerably. Now I focus on my audiobook and before I know it the treatment is over. Like others have said it is going 5 days a week especially since my treatments are 50-60 minutes away.....one way.

Don't hesitate to ask, others have helped me and we are here for you....you are not alone.

• RosieRed
    edited April 2019

Well, I was supposed to have my setup and first rad this morning, but I got a call at 9am from the cancer center to tell me that their machine had broken down. At first they thought Iwould still be able to come in later to have it done, but by noon they called to tell me that it wouldn’t be possible. So tomorrow we will do all of the set up and Monday will be my first rad.

• Sunocean
    Sunocean Member Posts: 121
    edited April 2019

Hi. I started rads today. I will be doing 25 sessions.

I am using calendula cream. we will see how it works.

• cassiecanada
    cassiecanada Member Posts: 101
    edited April 2019

hi freebee

when was your durgery

• cassiecanada
    cassiecanada Member Posts: 101
    edited April 2019

Hi Jessie

I start april 22! are you having partial

radiation? what does hypofractional mean?

mine is 3 weeks as well so am wondering

if partial is just another term for hypofractional

• ItsHandled444
    ItsHandled444 Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2019

Here we go.....Radiation starting April 16th, still don't know how many treatments I suppose they will let me know on the 16th.

• Sunocean
    edited April 2019

I've had only two sessions and I'm already experiencing red skin and some minor discomfort. Wth!!! This sucks!!!

I've always had very sensitive skin so I'm not surprised.

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2019

I finished rads in late March.

My fair skin pinked up pretty early too-- but it stayed moderately pink and highly tolerable until the last week-- before getting bad. I had 28 sessions of proton rads. By #22 or so, my breast was palpably hot, a little swollen, and my skin was at the level of a bright red sunburn, plus there were zingers of nerve pain. I did finish on time with no breaks despite the discomfort, and it was truly *not* horrible to experience, more itchy and tender than painful... but it *looked* horrible at the end. People need to be aware that skin/burns can get worse for several days following rads, before it very rapidly heals. My worst skin was about 5-6 days after final rads, and my worst exhaustion too... but by 2 weeks post rads I had totally healed. I still have a "tan" on my radiated breast and one tiny bit of peeling in armpit, but the skin is healthy and intact and feels fine.

A few tips....

1. Be very kind to your skin. Drink a lot of water. Keep it well hydrated and be gentle with patting dry etc. There are lots of products that can be used. I do not tend to do well with mineral oils or petroleum products, so I used two natural creams (both expensive). I think the best one for me was "Seven" cream; the other was Camwell's Herb To Soothe. Pure organic no-alcohol aloe vera also nice. Lots of people like Aquaphor or Miaderm. All are avail on Amazon. Miaderm can be found with 4% lidocaine which is soothing. Begin applying a heavy moisturizer at least 3-4 x /day a few weeks before rads, so the area begins well moisturized.

2. When you develop peeling or anything that's wet/weeping, you can use "Domeboro" which is an astringent powder you mix with water to make a soak or a wet compress. It is very soothing and can be chilled in fridge. It dries things out and promotes peeling of dead skin. If you develop any cracking/ bloody areas (when things peel quickly it can be sort of raw skin underneath) there is a prescription cream called Silvadene which is like a heavy zinc oxide consistency and seals up anything raw, so it won't get infected. You can get a steroid ointment too to relieve swelling/heat.

3. Ask about Pentoxifyllin & Vitamin E, a month long meds regime post rads, to prevent fibrosis. I began that regime in my last week of rads.

4. Going topless at home, or braless under a loose soft tee, is helpful. Shelf-bra cotton tank tops were useful too but I needed some waterproof gauze pads to tuck into them, so my raw skin would not stick to the cotton. I would take a warm bath and put a cold Domeboro compress on my breast at the same time. That felt wonderful. Then I'd pat dry, and use aloe, then moisturizing cream, air-drying between each application.

5. After finishing rads, I did 5 sessions of Hyperbaric Oxygen to help my skin heal. From worst-looking day to totally healed took me about one week... very rapid!!

You can do this!!!

• Cindr
    Cindr Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2019

Hi everyone, joining this great group of ladies! I start my RADS tomorrow, April 8th. 15 sessions. A little nervous but ready to get this part of my journey over! Let’s kick this cancer in the butt! Wishing everyone a blessed day! 😃

• Cindr
    Cindr Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2019

Hi Jesse, good luck tomorrow! You and I are starting our hypofractional rathe same day the exact same treatment. We can do this! Have a great day !! XXOO 😊

• benji69
    benji69 Member Posts: 88
    edited April 2019

I start tomorrow 28 plus 5 boosts., whole breast, axillary and subclavical. Worried about my 70 year old sensitive skin plus still coming unnumb from AND so I won’t know which is the problem. Also keep getting threatened about high chance of Lymphedema and am doing exercises and stretches hoping to prevent

• Freebee
    edited April 2019

Hi Cassie, my surgery was nov 23/18. I am a bit late to rads as a second scare delayed the process a few weeks. I am trying to remain positive, but getting a bit weary

• frmthahart
    frmthahart Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2019

Hi everyone! I start rads tomorrow for 28 sessions. People keep telling me this will be easier than chemo. I hope so! I think I am more anxious about it than I was chemo so, tomorrow will be great fun - insert sarcasm. At this point, I just want to get started so it is no longer the scary unknown. I have read through other rads threads trying to prepare, but I am feeling really unprepared. What to wear? What to bring? What to slather on and when? It is like I have had a total brain meltdown. Here's hoping that it goes well for all of us!

• grandmaadams
    grandmaadams Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2019

Hi Frmthahart. I finished rads on October 31, 2018. I did a lot of reading and there are a ton of suggestions on different creams to use. I am fortunate that I didn't have severe side effects. My skin did get very pink, the worst was the fold under my breast. Anyway, drink lots of water. My oncologist told me to slather on enough aloe vera (no dyes or fragrances) till I was sloshing out of my bra. I was also told not to put anything on my breast 4 hours before treatment but could slather up immediately after. That's all I used until the fold under the breast became sore and weepy. Then I started using topical Neosporin with Pain Relief to the crease underneath my breast. My radiation therapist told me not to wear deodorant at all for treatment. My RO said I could use something like Tom's (all natural) for the rest of the day. What to wear? Something comfortable and easy to take off/put on. My treatment center provided a changing room and gowns. I was told to only undress from the waist up so I also wore comfortable pants that stayed on. My center wanted the gown to open in the back. Some ladies have talked about having to walk down a long hall so if you're a little uncomfortable about being exposed in the back be sure to take an extra gown and put it on like a robe. I didn't take anything else except a book to read while I was waiting. I have read that some took music to listen to while they were undergoing treatment, I guess that depends on your treatment center. I just laid there and let my mind wander to a peaceful place although I did get distracted by the fact my machine sounded like an anemic bagpipe ... gotta find the humor. Good luck to you, it will be over before you know it.

• JanetMara
    JanetMara Member Posts: 147
    edited April 2019

Hello everybody/brave ladies!

Thank you for all your inspiring stories and positive experiences.

You are all soooo brave about radiation,I admire you all.Here I am shivering/trembling about radiation,I have seen others who had radiation and developed pleurisy and radiation pneumonitis,others became dependent on oxygen after radiation.

My situation is for radiation on lymph node above my collarbone, I was not able to tolerate CHEMO(HERCEPTIN,PERJETA,TAXOTERE AND CARBOPLATIN--I only had 2 sessions),the Left breast cancer has resolved according to pet scan but it was where the cancer originated and PET SCAN results also says essentially resolved (above my collarbone) but my ONCO suggested radiation and am scared to death that it may affect my carotid artery and the circulation going up to my brain then I can have a stroke or affect my swallowing because it is close to my esophagus,I have appointment with my Oncologist on 4/19/19 then I will start my radiation on my neck.

May our DEAR LORD GOD HELP and BLESS US ALL..

Janet

• RosieRed
    edited April 2019

Had my first rad today. Besides a mix up in appointment time, it went pretty well and the rad techs know their stuff well. Tomorrow I see the RO for a check up and then another rad.

• missouricatlady
    missouricatlady Member Posts: 894
    edited April 2019

I met a lady yesterday who recommended "Calendula cream" to help with the radiation burns. You can buy this online at Walmart.com for about $11. I won't start radiation until May. Wishing everyone well.

• Sunocean
    edited April 2019

had my 3rd treatment today and turns out my reaction is from an allergy to the aloe vera gel I used!! I stopped using it and started using the miaderm and no more rash. Thank heavens. I was getting worried. Its only been 3 sessions me.