We are 224,828 members in 82 forums discussing 157,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Aug 22, 2019 12:37PM - edited Aug 29, 2019 09:57AM by UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer wrote:

Hi all, I am starting rads on Sept. 11th. I will need 16 treatments. Just wondering if anyone else starts in September.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make this easier??

Into every life a little rain must fall Dx 2/6/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/8/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/20/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 4/2/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/7/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/6/2019 Lumpectomy Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2019

Page 13 of 13 (373 results)

Posts 361 - 373 (373 total)

Oct 31, 2019 06:01PM tennisgirl1 wrote:

29/31 Done! Almost to the finish line. I realize I've been miscounting treatments. My last one on Monday will be 31.

pokyspider: That was exactly what I needed to read! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I really don't know why I'm having such a hard time now with the fatigue and nausea. I stopped all my walking, except the 6 flights of stairs to and from treatment. The nausea is very manageable, but the fatigue is crazy. My arms and legs are heavy and my mind is foggy. I'm usually the one who gets through rough stuff like a champ, with minimal side effects. I just don't know why this is now kicking my butt. It's been a bit of a roller coaster for me.

My appointment with the nutritionist was cancelled by her, last minute, yesterday. Not happy with that.

My skin is better since they started the boosts to spare the whole breast from becoming more compromised. I only have two more treatments, then DONE! I ordered “Breakfast for a Crowd", from Einstein's Bagels to be delivered to the Radiation Department, Monday, my last day. I can't do enough for those angels who have made my treatments pleasant. Every single one of them has been supportive, loving and professional throughout.

I'm interested to hear about others experiencing this crazy fatigue. I knew to expect it, and after chemo, I thought I'd be prepared to handle it easier. I'm usually not a whiner, and I'm not comfortable with it at all!

I'm so happy for those of you who are doing well. Keep posting your encouraging experiences. To those who are struggling, hang in there, you are not alone, and this too, shall pass. We are strong and will be whole again, in mind, body and spirit.

Dx 3/25/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/29/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/6/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/24/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 31, 2019 07:34PM mysticalcity wrote:

Pokyspider that is great--so spot on!

Dx 3/22/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 6/26/2019 Cryotherapy: Left Radiation Therapy

Nov 1, 2019 06:44AM Martaj wrote:

Pokyspider that is right on!!!!

Nov 1, 2019 10:28AM UpstateNYer wrote:

Tennisgirl1- An early congrats to you on finishing rads on Monday. Glad to hear that your skin is better doing the boosts. How kind is to provide breakfast bagels to your rads team. So happy they were so nice to you. I don't know what to say about you still exhibiting nausea and fatigue. I experienced neither during rads, but I only had 16 txts. When I had fatigue during chemo, although hard, I pushed myself to be more active and that actually seemed to help me through. I will pray for you that these symptoms will subside for you soon. And again, an early congrats🎉 to you. Will you be ringing the bell?

Pat👍💕

Into every life a little rain must fall Dx 2/6/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/8/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/20/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Surgery 4/2/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/7/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/6/2019 Lumpectomy Hormonal Therapy 9/5/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2019

Nov 2, 2019 08:47AM DogMomRunner wrote:

Yay tennisgirl! The fatigue didn't really get me like it did with chemo. But I took a couple weekend off after the end of chemo and did nothing. And I mean nothing. I slept in, ate meals that were easy to fix, read books and watched movies. After that I started back up to my old routine. With the exception of the running. I've got to figure out how to cushion my port with my sports bras.

But I'm glad that nausea is under control and that you are near the end. Congratulations!

You ain't run far enough to say My legs have failed You ain't gone far enough You ain't worked hard enough You ain't run far enough to say It ain't gonna get any better. Nathaniel Rateliff Dx 4/24/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/16/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 6/5/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/5/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Nov 4, 2019 07:59AM rlws wrote:

Congrats tennisgirl! Today is your day, enjoy ringing the bell!!!!

Dx 7/9/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Surgery 8/7/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 4, 2019 04:27PM tennisgirl1 wrote:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I gonged that gong once for every week of treatment! Then my 2 year old grandson gave it a good gong too. It was truly an emotional moment. I turned around and the whole radiation department had lined up against the wall to watch and then gave me a hug. I am so glad I decided to do the gong and have my family there. I'm glad I didn't minimize it, and I celebrated it, along with the team, for what it is.

I have an appointment in a week with my MO for my AI consult, then in two weeks with my RO for a skin check. In the mean time, I'm sleeping in and enjoying not having a schedule.

I hope you all are well and for those still in treatment, I wish you no/minimal side effects and the strength to carry on. My love and best wishes.

Dx 3/25/2019, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/29/2019 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/6/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/24/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 4, 2019 08:35PM UpstateNYer wrote:

Congrats, Tennisgirl1!! 🎉You did it! So happy for you. I am sure that gonging was cathartic for you. Enjoy that time you have for yourself now. Good luck with your upcoming MO appt. I am still doing great on arimidex. Hope you will too. Pat👍

Nov 5, 2019 04:44AM pokyspider wrote:

That’s fantastic! Congratulations tennisgirl1!
My last session is tomorrow and half of me can’t wait while the other is dreading it. No gong’s at my hospital and no gifts allowed so it’ll have to be hugs all round. Can’t describe how incredibly kind the staff have been to me. I’ll really miss seeing them every day.

They finally gave me some moisturizer and cream for itching today, but actually my skin has had very little reaction so far which is amazing since I wasn’t allowed to put anything on the treatment area other than just water and gel ice packs since starting. Just a bit pink and itchy but really not that bad at all.

My next appointments will be in January, one with the endocrinologist for a check up on my adrenal gland lump (non-functioning tumor was found last year during initial diagnosis CT for breast cancer along with a nodule in my thyroid, because breast cancer seemingly wasn’t enough to be dealing with! Offending half of my thyroid was removed after my mastectomy and the adrenal glad issue is just being observed with an annual CT), and then my 3-month check up with my MO. They’ve written me off work until January too so I can relax until then and try to figure out the new normal.

Gentle hugs to you all.

x

Dx 11/19/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 10/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/19/2019 CEF Chemotherapy 6/25/2019 Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/17/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/18/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 9/18/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Nov 5, 2019 09:37AM Polkadot1 wrote:

Congrats Tennisgirl1! How wonderful to have your family there for the big moment. So glad you are done and can rest without a schedule!

Pokyspider - Yay, you are almost done too! That is truly amazing your skin has done so well without moisturizer during treatment. So interesting the different protocols in that regard. It sounds like you definitely have a lot on your plate next year so definitely enjoy your time off. That will be so nice to have and to really give your body time to heal.

i am still doing very well...no real changes 5 weeks out from radiation. Finally getting ready to start Tamoxifen. I delayed a bit due to a huge 5 day work function i had to attend and didn't want to be dealing with potential side effects. But no excuses anymore :)

Gentle hugs to all!!

Surgery 7/15/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 5, 2019 08:11PM DogMomRunner wrote:

Congratulations tennisgirl!! I'm glad your family got to be there.

Yay to pokyspider on your last day!! I am also amazed that your skin held up without having any lotions or moisturizers to use.

Nice to see everyone. I still have a brown nipple and some spots where the stickers were but no burns. I'm still getting zingers from the SNB site and the breast but so far everything is good

You ain't run far enough to say My legs have failed You ain't gone far enough You ain't worked hard enough You ain't run far enough to say It ain't gonna get any better. Nathaniel Rateliff Dx 4/24/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/16/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 6/5/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/5/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2019 Whole-breast: Breast

Nov 6, 2019 10:32AM rlws wrote:

Congrats Pokyspider on last day!!!

My skin got worse over the weekend, three weeks from radiation ending. I have some burn spots where the boost was. I think I caused it by skipping lotion one morning, lesson learned! Definitely encourage you all to keep using the lotion as this is strange for me. It is in boost spot and around my nipple area. I am more diligent now with my lotion! I have had some major itching too. I guess this rads lasts a long time!

Polkadot1 - good luck with your Tamoxifen! I have finished 3 weeks, started a few days after rads so some effects do not what they are due to.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!!!

Dx 7/9/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Surgery 8/7/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 7, 2019 12:01AM pokyspider wrote:

Thanks girls! Free at last!!

Have to admit there were some tears saying goodbye to the radiation crew. Took me a while to get myself together enough to leave. The head nurse was off yesterday but had written me a note in English (I'm in Japan but my Japanese is embarrassingly bad), telling me to come in and ask for her if I had any trouble at all and to make sure to visit when I'm in the hospital next time. So sweet. Rads doc gave me some steroid cream yesterday just in case any sore spots flare up. She said my skin was looking good so far but that it could deteriorate over the next 2 weeks or so before getting better. Was told to use the moisturizing lotion from yesterday and she also gave me other cream for itching, so I think I'm pretty well covered.

rlws - sorry to hear your skin flared up. Did they give you anything other than lotion? I had temporary tattoo transfers instead of stickers so they just wash off eventually and I was told not to try to scrub anything off, but to let it fade with gentle washing.

Won't know what to do with this new found freedom but I'm going to try to get as much exercise in as I can, building up slowly. It was November 7th last year that I had my first appointment to get the lump checked out. Exactly 365 days... wow, what a year.

Dx 11/19/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 10/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 1/23/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/19/2019 CEF Chemotherapy 6/25/2019 Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/17/2019 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/18/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 9/18/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 13 of 13 (373 results)