Join Us

We are 216,680 members in 84 forums discussing 160,145 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: experiences with the New York Proton Center?

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Dec 6, 2019 11:44AM

Brooklyn1234 wrote:

Hello all,

It's a new facility, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had their radiation therapy here yet, and if so, whether you can share your experience? Also, I would be curious to know if you were a patient at MSKCC or Sinai, whether you automatically got proton therapy now that they have this facility or whether you were presented with other options?

Thanks!

Dx 11/1/2009, 1cm, Stage I, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+ Dx 9/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, ER-, HER2+ Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Dec 8, 2019 03:02PM Brooklyn1234 wrote:

Just wanted to bump this up. Thx!

Dx 11/1/2009, 1cm, Stage I, 0/9 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2+ Dx 9/2019, IDC, Left, 1cm, ER-, HER2+ Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Dec 8, 2019 03:27PM - edited Dec 8, 2019 03:28PM by santabarbarian

Hey Brooklyn-- I was treated at ProCure in NJ, so I cant comment on the specific place, but I LOVED ProCure and have nothing but good things to say about Proton rads. I did have some skin issues (very sensitive skin) but there was nothing really painful just irritating. I had a L sided BC and I was really worried about long term heart and lung issues.

I made a proton rads thread (Proton Radiation: Share Your Experiences) where you can hear more peoples input on proton rads.

ProCure was by far the best medical experience of my life in terms of beautiful/clean/well designed place, kind/efficient personally warm staff, excellence of care. As in, on a snow day with an outage, everything backed up and they ordered lunch in for all the people in the waiting room!! So "above and beyond."

I am taking a post-rads drug -- pentoxifylline-- which was recommended by my RO. So far, no fibrosis, no long term problem. I do have one area of skin that has a bit of pinkness/different texture, like a very slight rash that doesn't itch---- but that's it.

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices; Proton rads. Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/11/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Dec 8, 2019 06:43PM Brooklyn1234 wrote:

Thanks so much for this response, SantaBarbara! Looks like it's the same people who are running both centers. It's good to know your experience was so positive. I am left sided too, and they will be radiating my chest wall. Plus I have lymphedema already in my left arm, so anything that could reduce risks and side effects would be great.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)