Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Throat pain, choking, thrush

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Aug 20, 2020 05:40AM

melmcbee wrote:

Hello, I did 5 days of radiation to certain levels of my cervical and thoracic spine. My throat started to hurt and I continued having difficulty swallowing. It is killing me a week after. Choking. Cant even swallow water. Noticed my tongue was white. Showed my oncologist who just started me on a new chemo. She prescribed nystatin and also magic Mouthwash. Has anybody here had issues with post radiation esophagitis or thrush and do you have any suggestions on how to stop the terrible pain? Oh and for the record I will never do rads to neck and chest area again. However my spine pain is gone. Thank you for any tips.

Melanie Dx 6/24/2012, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 8/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/9/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 8/9/2012 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 8/23/2012 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/9/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 5/30/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/4/2013 Reconstruction (right) Dx 3/29/2017, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR- Dx 11/19/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER-/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 8/19/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Immunotherapy Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 20, 2020 01:38PM toria1212 wrote:

I'm so sorry that you are suffering. I had gerd symptoms during my radiation. I was prescribed hot lemon water with manuka raw honey pre and post treatment(each day) to coat my esophagus(prescribed by my integrative oncologist) Perhaps look online for homeopathic things like that, or teas, or concoctions that may ease the pain. I would also sleep elevated(or sitting up) as that seemed to help a little. I hope you are feeling well soon. (((hugs)))

Dx 3/19/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 20, 2020 04:24PM Moderators wrote:

melmcbee,

We're so very sorry to hear you're having this terrible side effect! Toria offers some great tips above -- and we'd like to point you to the main Breastcancer.org site's side effect page on Swallowing Problems for some more practical tips to manage this effect.

We hope this helps and that you find relief soon!

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)