Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: First day of radiation treatment took 1hr?

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Aug 27, 2020 03:45PM

Alegna_Natuj wrote:

Hi! Today is my moms first radiation day . We went to the clinic at 1045P and sat down for good 45 mins because of a lot of patients in the morning. My mom was called in and spent good 1hr for the treatment. My question , is this typically normal in a first day of radiation to take 1 hr treatment? I was told when she came out from the inside the treatment room that they have to meticiously hit the right spot to minimize complications? And then I asked my mom what happened inside and she told me that they need to repeat the zap or whatever. Any inputs would be appreciated very muc

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Aug 27, 2020 06:14PM Salamandra wrote:

Yes, I think this is typical. I remember they took their time getting me set up and located and they also did some imaging to confirm that the location was right. Then most appointments were shorter but about once a week I had another round of imaging, and those appointments were longer again.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/17/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/2/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

Aug 27, 2020 06:18PM AliceBastable wrote:

Hmm, my response seems to have disappeared. Was this the setup appointment or the first actual treatment? The setup takes about an hour, and if I remember correctly, the first scheduled session included a lot of double-checking of the measurements before the zapping started. Repeat zap? It's repeated every single session, so I'm not sure what you mean. It's hard when we're getting this information second-hand; doesn't your mother want to sign up here and join the rest of us who have had or are going through treatment?

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Cancer's a bitch, but I'm a bigger one with more practice. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Aug 27, 2020 06:23PM Alegna_Natuj wrote:

They ran a simulation prior to the first session (1/33) . My mom isnt really a techie person she is old school soul lol. So in her behalf im here in this helpful and amazing community. But the radiologist tech told us after the session that next session would be a lot quicker. Thank you for the response by the way. I appreciate it :

Aug 27, 2020 06:25PM Alegna_Natuj wrote:

We ran simulation 2 days before the session. So hopefully the next upcoming sessions would be quicker and efficient. Anyway, any tips for my mom for the radiation therapy? :) I appreciate your response btw :)

Aug 27, 2020 08:33PM MinusTwo wrote:

Ask your Mom's if she's allowed to use anything but Aquafor on her skin. Some recommend other things & some don't. Be sure that skin is washed clean & dry before treatment - the Aquafor is for after.

After the first treatment, I found changing clothes took longer than the zaps.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Aug 27, 2020 08:59PM Alegna_Natuj wrote:

Thank you for the response @MinusTwo

Aug 27, 2020 09:32PM Sunshine99 wrote:

I only had a few sessions (13 total, I think) of radiation. The first one seemed to take FOREVER, and I was practically in tears by the end. That was for my spine and I had my arms raised over my head. It got super uncomfortable, but the next session, I changed how I held my arms. Those sessions still took longer than the sessions to my femur. I always changed into a gown. Kept my top on and took my pants off. Most everyone else there had their pants on, but had their tops off (wearing a gown, of course).

All the best to your mom and to you as you support her.

Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Aug 27, 2020 09:36PM Alegna_Natuj wrote:

Thank you for the reply!! I have a general consensus that the first time takes longer. Have a nice night to you and Best wishes . God bles

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)