Join Us

We are 224,335 members in 83 forums discussing 163,505 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Radiation for positive margin post mastectomy for DCIS

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 15, 2020 07:12AM - edited Sep 15, 2020 07:22AM by Dres123

Dres123 wrote:

Hello everyone,

My wife just received her pathology report from her mastectomy—the margins for her IDC were all negative. For her DCIS, one margin (medial) was positive and one margin (nipple base) was close (less than 0.1mm). 0/5 nodes

I've read all the posts here that I could find about radiation post mastectomy for positive or close DCIS margins, including some links provided by Bessie. Thank you for that information!

My question is, does anyone have anecdotal experience or experience from conversations with Radiation Oncologists about whether to proceed with radiation post mastectomy for positive DCIS margins? My wife will be seeing a few ROs for opinions, and she is planning to take Tamoxifen, but I wanted to make sure she had all the right information to ask to make an informed decision.

Had anyone done rads after a positive DCIS margin?

thank you!!

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 16, 2021 07:59AM MimiLi wrote:

Hi! i came across your post here. im on the same boat, dcis and positive margins

it was 6cm and a small invasive 2mm far from the chest wall.

the RO did not recommend radiation to the chest wall (single masectomy)

but he said its not a clear cut, the chances are very low of coming back. did your wife end up having radiation?

thanks for the tips. im still very confused

Aug 16, 2021 01:24PM Dres123 wrote:

Hello! I think given your situation, your MO’s opinion seems consistent with what we were told. Low risk, so no need for radiation. Our situation is trickier though. Several months ago, we found a “recurrence” which was more of a residual since all of her breast tissue wasn’t taken during her single mastectomy, and the remaining tissue had a significantly large tumor (~3cm). It sucked, but now she’s undergoing chemotherapy AND radiation, and radiation likely would not have been an option if she had it before. So I guess that was a silver lining of not doing it before?

It’s only our personal experience but I think without that weird situation, we would have been ok with our MO and ROs opinion of no radiation.

Feel free to message me with any other questions. Best wishes for you—I pray that you will do well and stay in good health for decades to come!

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)