Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Feburary rads group 2021

Options

I've had my consult and will have my staging on Jan 26th. My treatment will start around the 8th so I'm hoping you Feb ladies will jump on here with me. I will have 3 wks of rads and 5 booster appointments. My radiology oncologist is the kind of doc who keeps up with the latest and looks at your specific results .

Comments

• positivelyhalffull
    positivelyhalffull Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2021
    Options

I'll have my first Radiology appointment on February 1st. Thanks for starting this group, Purple.

• purpleb3
    purpleb3 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hello Positively. Let us know how it goes and how many weeks you have.

I told the nurse I would want early appointments but now I'm thinking that's not going to be the best decision with east coast winter mornings.

• positivelyhalffull
    edited January 2021
    Options

Purple, I hope your staging goes well tomorrow and the weather isn't too bad there. We have a winter storm warning here tomorrow with a forecast of up to 10" of heavy snow and winds up to 35 mph. Do you have much of a drive to get to your appointments? Mine is about a 35 min. drive from work or 20 min. from home.

• purpleb3
    edited January 2021
    Options

My drive is about 30 minutes also. My appointment was about 45 minutes for ct scan, positioning, and tats (3). Thanks to some reading up here I had been practicing the deep breathing holds since my lumpectomy is on the upper left breast. I will need to do three or so 20 second holds each session. I think Im going to need to do some stretches to help with holding my arms above my head for 20 minutes. They didnt hurt exactly but felt a little tight.

I now get a little break besides a gyn appointment to help figure out what meds Im going to be on.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    edited February 2021
    Options

thanks for starting this thread. I have my first appointment tomorrow, Feb 1. Not sure what to expect. I guess this is just another adventure...

• positivelyhalffull
    edited February 2021
    Options

My appointment ended up being just a consultation. I go back in a week for a CT scan, then two weeks after that to start the radiation treatments.

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2021
    Options

I was supposed to have started in January, but my radiation got a little postponement due to my port removal being scheduled for next week. I think that is the thing I have been most excited about so far. I can't wait to get rid of my little friend! Anyway, is anyone here doing radiation in the prone position? I've read that it reduces risk to healthy tissues, but the RO I have had my consultations with said they do not offer it. However, it is available elsewhere in town, so I'm wondering if I should explore that option even if it means going outside of my "team" of doctors.

• positivelyhalffull
    edited February 2021
    Options

NotAsCalm, did your appointment on Monday end up being a consultation as well?

SusieMommy, welcome! Congratulations on your upcoming port removal. I don't know what position I'll be in for my treatments yet.

• mercsailor
    mercsailor Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2021
    Options

hi Susiemommy! My therapy is in the prone position. I had the choice, and decided that it would be better. Kinda weird laying on a table with my boob hanging out of it.. but that is how my biopsy was done as well.. so kinda getting used to it

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    edited February 2021
    Options

positivelyhalffull: yes. It was a consultation (and a shot). I have an appointment for next week for a scan/mapping session. Theoretically beginning February 22 for five weeks 5x/week.

This is dependent on my rehab being progressed enough from surgery to lift my arm to the right position and hold it for the length of time required.

I like to plan, and having things up in the air drives me nuts. Cancer doesn't care that I want control.

For instance, I'd like to buy cream/gel, but I want to follow their directions and recommendations, but I won't get them till next week. So I'm reading here and looking on Amazon but not buying.

I have physical therapy scheduled for the day before and I've delegated the decision to postpone or not to her.

Radiation sounds unpleasant and inconvenient but not as scary as surgery, and not as time consuming, drastic,or deadly as chemo (I had a couple allergic reactions to chemo). It's also at a facility that is much closer to home - so easier for the daily drive in the winter weather. It seems like something I can survive and put past me.

I also started my AI and had a bonus shot of lupron.

• melbo
    melbo Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2021
    Options

I start radiation next Friday. 5 or 6 weeks depending on whether they can locate the tumor bed. I have to hold my breath for 30 seconds at a time, which is a little annoying, but luckily doable. The drive is only about 25 minutes each way, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to drive me crazy, especially on days I will have to make it twice for other appointments.

Purple I see that you are in MD. I’m going to Anne Arundel Medical Center for my treatment — what about yiu

• purpleb3
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hello Melbo! Im in Cecil County but get my rad Onco is from a breast center in Delaware.

Yep the breath holds suck but doable. I first started practicing with a little square gif I came across online. They told me to breath normal in between but I would prefer to keep the pattern of holding the exhale too if that makes sense.

Notascalm

"I like to plan, and having things up in the air drives me nuts. Cancer doesn't care that I want control."

I hate not knowing whats next. I did order soft bras and spray aquaphor before my appointment. I was given a prescription for Mometasone fur to use at bedtime each nite and a list of approved creams that include Aquaphor healing ointment, eucerin, Miaderm radiation relief and aloe. None to be applied at least four hours before treatment.

• catmax
    catmax Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2021
    Options

First radiation treatment tomorrow - have 20 scheduled. Since cancer was on the left side, I have to use a snorkeling type of device to hold my breath and then press a button for the radiation to start. Did a dry run on Friday and feel pretty confident I'll be able to do it without any problems. Was told to stop taking additional Vitamin A, C, and E while undergoing treatment but can still take a daily multivitamin. Regarding lotion, I was told to do it in the morning... after my treatment (which will be at 2:30)... and before I go to bed. Suggested I used eucerin, aquaphor, or udder cream. Been feeling so great since my surgery that I almost don't want to start this next part of the journey.

• deniseml
    deniseml Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2021
    Options

Catmax:I can understand how you're feeling! I am finally feeling like my old self since having chemo/ immunotherapy and then UMX. 3 weeks ago. Hate to ruin this feeling, but, at least I am entering the downside of treatment. Had first RO consult at Cancer center , but, don't want to travel 100 miles 5 days a week for 6 weeks for Radiation. At least recieved a recommendation for RO closer to me ( within 30 miles). planning to stay locally and happy I don't need to pick a name out of the hat and hope the RO is good! Aquaphor or Eucerin ointment for skin care & A Steroid ointment was also recommended. Guess I will see what This RO"s skin protocol is.

I am expecting chest wall, and all nodes to be irradiated, including Supra-clavicular. Also practicing holding my breath 30 seconds. Thankfully not as difficult as I thought. Good luck and best wishes for all of us starting a new phase of treatment. We are one step closer to completion and recovery!

• catmax
    edited February 2021
    Options

Day 3 done, 17 to go. Getting the hang of the breathing apparatus and so far so good. Met with the RO who I'll be seeing every Wednesday as I continue the treatments. So weird having the techs say "see you tomorrow!" when I'm thinking I'll see you next week! Fingers crossed everything continues going smoothly.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    edited February 2021
    Options

had my CT/mapping appointment today. I feel like I’m such a PITA patient... they were patient with me, but I felt bad. my range of motion isn’t back in my arm/shoulder. It was good enough, but just barely. I have religious objections to tattoos. Their alternative is to use tegaderm over surgical marker to mark the spot they use to align treatment. I can’t do that since I had terrible adhesive reactions all through chemo, worse as it got later in the treatment. I’m super happy, they figured out I have freckles they can use!

For those of you less complicated than I am: it really wasn’t bad. I changed from my clothes into their gown (got to keep pants/socks/shoes on). They explained what they were doing along the way. 2 technicians/therapists worked with me. They measured lots of my chest. They had me lay on the gurney. The top half was a weird beanbag like texture that molded to me (so they can line me up the same each time). The RO came in and marked up the outer edges of the treatment zone. They had me breath normal. And they had me hold my breath and measured where my chest was for both. They did the ct scan, which was relatively quick, both holding my breath and breathing normal. They had me change and did a quick education session.

I was out of there in less than 60 minutes total. Including waiting, changing, education, scan, all of it. I expect to be starting in 2 weeks (or sooner if they’re ready sooner).

I’m thankful for this board, and you ladies, for letting me know what to expect.

• justducky1
    justducky1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2021
    Options

This seems pretty standard. It is what I am currently having. I have found radiation much easier than chemo. The side effects are not nearly as harsh.

• txdcis2021
    txdcis2021 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    Options

I'm hoping I will be joining you ladies in starting my radiation this month. I have my consult with the radiation oncologist on Friday. I'm looking forward to knowing what I'm in for and next steps.

• Bennette
    Bennette Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2021
    Options

HI, been off here for awhile but started radiation this week. I have to say, it has bothered me more than I anticipated. One of the machines is down so I've had little choice on my appointment times. The first two were 8:15 at night. I had my third today, 2 p.m. I am exhausted after only 3 days. I feel like the whole thing is very impersonal and like I am just a slab of meat on the table. They had loud music playing which I found disconcerting. Like, this isn't much of a party for me. Each time, two of the techs are male and there is an expectation that I just drop my robe to get on the table. I haven't done that; I told them that this may be normal for them but not for me. I feel like there is a better way to preserve some semblance of dignity in this process but so far haven't experienced it. I do see the radiation oncologist tomorrow and will mention this though I doubt it will change. thanks for reading.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    edited February 2021
    Options

good for you speaking up Bennette! I think you should be able to ask them to turn down the music - or change it to something you prefer.

Cancer robs us of so much control. Keep whatever dignity you can.

I’m sorry this sucks so much at the beginning. Hopefully your RO takes it seriously and you can make some changes (they seem easy) to make this better for you moving on.

• catmax
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hoping it gets better for you, Bennette. I would be very bothered by having two males,too. I guess they're so matter of fact about it because they see it every day, but I'm still getting used to the way I now look. In fact, my husband has only had a quick glimpse or two, and I've been married over 40 years, lol!

• Bennette
    Bennette Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2021
    Options

thanks. Yes I know that’s the common refrain; THEY see this all the time. But so much feels like it’s just me rotating through what is their day. I just got a message for a video visit with myRO at the same time I am supposed to be in radiation. I mean WHAT? I don’t exactly know how that’s supposed towork

• melbo
    edited February 2021
    Options

I had my final prep session yesterday. I feel lucky that the two radiation techs are middle-aged women who are very kind. They marked my skin all up with blue marker — does anyone know if that needs to stay in place until my first real session Monday? I scrubbed a little at it during my shower and it didn’t really come off anyway, but I wasn’t sure if I should scrub at it some more or leave it be.

• catmax
    edited February 2021
    Options

I had a bunch of marks after my prep session, too, and have three little dots that are permanent.

• positivelyhalffull
    edited February 2021
    Options

I have the blue x's drawn on me. They sent a marker home with me and told me I need to keep them on until they do the tattoos before my first session. It will be two weeks on Monday and I haven't heard anything from them. The chemo pushed me into menopause, so I'm having hot flashes which make me sweat and the struggle is real to keep these x's on. They gave me Miaderm Radiation Relief lotion that I'm to use even before I begin treatments.

• melbo
    edited February 2021
    Options

apparently I can wash the marks off if I can get them to come off. They re-draw them every session anyway. Today I had trouble getting my breathing right and there was a different tech, so I have several scribbles where the drawing went a little hay wire.

• grandmaadams
    grandmaadams Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hello ladies, I finished my radiation two years ago. I understand that most treatment centers seem to be kind and considerate BUT there are those that aren't. I would encourage everyone to refuse to be treated like a slab of meat. You have a right to personal privacy and dignity. I have read some horror stories including where other men were allowed to walk through the treatment room during setup while the lady was laying there half naked. My treatment center only had one female therapist. I was told that I would be sent into the room, be stripped naked to the waist and lay there ... don't move! ... while two or three men would be marking, touching (one mark was almost on top of my nipple) and moving me without another female in the room. I had a melt down, blindsided by PTSD. I told the RO that although he didn't have a gun in his hand, that's what it felt like and I know what it feels like. I am a sexual assault survivor. I am appalled that they don't acknowledge, according to statistics, that almost half the women they treat are sexual assault victims. I was never rude or hateful but I stood firm. I refused to lay on that table half naked. I made myself a "modesty band" out of a t-shirt allowing them to see the markings. My treated breast was uncovered for setup then recovered. My untreated breast was never uncovered. I told the RO that if I showed up for my appointment and the female tech was not there, I would turn around and walk out. I refused tattoos. They used sharpie pens and a clear sticker to cover them. I've had enough of getting through bad memories. I did not want to look in the mirror for the rest of my life and be reminded of the second hardest struggle of my life. It still haunts me that I didn't refuse pictures. Through it all, the techs and my RO worked with me. They actually arranged it so that the female tech (who got overtime) was the only one ever in the room with me, she set me up each treatment by herself. Again, I was never rude or hateful to anyone, just firm in my refusal to follow their protocols which seemed to be in place to make their job easier. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Just last week I had my last visit with the plastic surgeon. I managed the "before" pictures and they wanted to take "after" pictures, standing against a wall naked to the waist. This time I said, "No thank you. I don't want to do that". They seemed a little surprised but did not insist. Good luck to all of you. You can do this.

• Susiemommy
    Susiemommy Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2021
    Options

Positivelyhalffull, I am right there with you with the unnaturally brought about menopause and effects thereof. Between the might sweats and the sweating that I absolutely plan to do on the treadmill to run off this extra weight, I don't see how these little stickers are going to survive.

So, I had my mapping session finally and am a bit dismayed at how simple everything seems...especially in comparison to some of the descriptions I've read about the process. Did any of you ever see any of the scans they did in order to map? I am so worried about heart/lung damage. I assumed the breath-holding thing would need to be attempted several times in order to get the best result..you know, the one where healthy tissues are farthest removed from where the beam or whatever will go? But, it was just a lay there, get marked up, one deep breath and that was it. I'm really wondering if I need to seek out a more sophisticated radiotherapy center - or if there is one.

• catmax
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi Susiemommy - I have wondered the same thing about the breath holding and hoping I am doing enough to eliminate any damage to the heart/lung. I'm two weeks in with ten treatments, and it seems like some days I can get a really good deep breath, but some days not so much. I never saw the mapping scans and was surprised when they took additional films last Friday. I'll see the RO on Wednesday and will ask about that. I'm scheduled for another 10 rounds. The RO said I wouldn't feel fatigued until week four, but I'll tell you, radiation is kicking my butt. Some days I am dog tired, and the RO said I just need to push through it.

• purpleb3
    edited February 2021
    Options

Catmax I hear you on the fatigue. Last week I napped almost every day and struggled to make it to a reasonable bedtime. Just starting my #10 today and so far Im not quite as tired so hope it stays that way for a bit. Doc said exercise would help but Im not quite up for the extra effort to do anything.