Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

10 years post radiation--breast changes

Options
slg76
slg76 Member Posts: 86

I had lumpectomy, chemo and radiation 10 years ago. My breast has been slightly smaller and denser since treatment but not terribly noticeable. Since then I've had 3 more biopsies on that breast (all benign, thankfully!). I've noticed in the last year that my breast has shrunk significantly and become much, much more dense/hard. The skin is thicker and my lumpectomy scar is actually more noticeable now with these changes. My last mammogram showed some rather large calcifications (biopsied and benign).

I'm wondering if other women have had significant changes like this so long after treatment? Did you try anything to help the tissue loosen back up? Was your doctor concerned? Mine seems not to be.

Comments

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2021
    Options

Glad you started this thread. My, these changes happened to you so much later. I am only one month from WB radiation and feel the hardness. More sore now too. I do know of some women who have had the changes you describe but also got them sooner. I am glad you are 10 years out though. This journey!

• oropallo
    oropallo Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2022
    Options

Had radiation 10 years ago after ID, IEP and reconstruction period last few years the right breast has shrunk to half the size and left on the radiated side

• slg76
    slg76 Member Posts: 86
    edited December 2022
    Options

update..... the shrinking of my radiated breast was actual a symptom of recurrence. I had a huge tumor in that breast again that thankfully had not yet spread to nodes. I didn't know that breast shrinkage was a symptom but I guess any change is concerning. Good to know and please all of you be mindful of this as well.

• believegr8things
    believegr8things Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2022
    Options

I had a right breast lumpectomy and sentinel nodes removed June 29th. I completed radiation therapy in September. By November my skin discoloration had cleared up and I was thrilled how little side effects I’d had. Then at the start of December the skin in my right armpit started itching. Then the itching spread to the underside of my right breast also. The itching has increased and red welts have appeared. I spoke with radiology because it’s only the skin that had the initial radiation burn. They said they’ve never heard anyone having such a delayed reaction that it must be a reaction to my anastrazole. I think it unlikely I would have an allergic reaction to a systemic medication in such a specific spot. Has this happened to anyone and did you find something that helped it heal?