Join Us

We are 224,357 members in 83 forums discussing 163,506 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Starting Radiation July 2021

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Jul 6, 2021 10:33PM

eviec1 wrote:

Didn't see a group for this, so decided to start one!

Anyone else starting radiation this month?

I have a baseline mammogram tomorrow, then am scheduled to begin 4 weeks of rads on July 15th. I picked up my prescription for steroid cream and ordered some calendula cream as recommended by my RO. Guess I'm ready to go!

Dx 5/13/2021, DCIS, Right, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 5/13/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/7/2021 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/14/2021 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 3 of 3 (71 results)

Posts 61 - 71 (71 total)

Aug 16, 2021 11:18PM jenacass wrote:

Sunshinegal me too! As of today, I have 8 sessions left. I was looking forward to ending treatments on Aug 27, but my RO took one look at me last week and recommended a "skin break" before she begins the 5-day boost. My skin is red and blotchy, I have tenderness around the surgical scar, and my breast is itchy and peeling. The minute I'm home, I strip off my bra so the skin can breathe, mostly from all the creams and lotions I'm using. I have so much lotion shmeared on and the Texas heat just makes my sweaty slimy breast worse.

My greatest disappointment is that I was looking forward to finally going on vacation or getting in a pool. I now have to wait. I also don't want to travel while COVID is raging. I'm also very angry at the non-masking and non-vaxxing public who have allowed it to happen.

Dx 5/2021, DCIS/Paget's, Right, <1cm, Stage 0

Aug 24, 2021 09:27PM SingingWendy wrote:

It’s getting close to the end of August, so I wanted to see how everyone’s doing! I finished #19 today, and amazingly have had very few side effects. I had my ovary removal surgery on Friday, and despite a scare with the glue letting go on one of my incisions today (they checked it and said it’s fine), that all seems to be healing well. I went to my first “back to school” faculty meeting today, and it was nice to see my teaching colleagues.

How’s everything going for everyone else? Who’s done? Who’s getting close?

Wendy

Dx 12/2020, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/13/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/10/2021 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 7/26/2021 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 8/19/2021 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 30, 2021 01:40PM Racheldog wrote:

For those of you who have finished radiation after lumpectomy what are you being told about the length of time to get your mammogram? That is, how many months out? Also are your oncologists suggesting regular screening or a diagnostic mammo on the treated breast?

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Aug 30, 2021 01:45PM eviec1 wrote:

Racheldog, they had me do a baseline mammogram after the lumpectomy and right before I started radiation. At that appointment, they told me that my next mammogram would be in 12 months.

Dx 5/13/2021, DCIS, Right, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 5/13/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/7/2021 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 7/14/2021 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 31, 2021 10:55AM Racheldog wrote:

Thx eviec1. I am trying to juggle this as I am due for mammo (1st year after diagnosis) in September. I did my treatments a bit out of the norm and did radiation first and now (2) more Herceptins. I am only out of radiation for 2 months. I keep reading on the internet that the first mammo after radiation is finished becomes the "new norm" for the treated breast. But some articles say to wait 6 months to get the diagnostic mammo on that breast?

Then comes fitting the mammo in with the booster shot which can give false positives. I have checked with three sources on that and all say to wait at least 8 weeks because the booster can give false positives!

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Aug 31, 2021 08:36PM AB45 wrote:

Hello

I was told six months for a mammogram after last radiation..

Sep 7, 2021 12:47PM Racheldog wrote:

I heard 6 months as well --- after radiation from MO. Are all of you with history of unilateral breast cancer now being told you need BILATERAL diagnostic exams on both breasts?

Sep 7, 2021 08:08PM sunshinegal wrote:

No mammos for me (bilat silicone implants after dbl mx). But wanted to check in with you all now that I'm 2+ weeks out from finishing rads. My skin is recovering very nicely, which has been a pleasant surprise given how awful it looked and felt by the end. I really didn't believe the RO when he said it would take "two to three weeks" - but he was right!

How are others recovering after rads?

Dx 10/7/2010, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 3/22/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)

Sep 8, 2021 05:33PM eviec1 wrote:

I think I'm actually *mostly* recovered at this point. MUCH less pain, a little itching sometimes, energy level is improving. I just started Tamoxifen, however, so I'm afraid this relative good feeling is going to start backsliding as the side effects from that kick in....

Sep 11, 2021 06:24PM SingingWendy wrote:

I just finished up yesterday! I’m sure you’ll all appreciate this story….My last session..the 5th “boost” was scheduled for Thursday after school. I heard my phone ring while I was teaching, but didn’t have time to check it. I flew out of the building as soon as my class left. I arrived at the hospital a few minutes early, so I decided to check my phone. It was the radiologist…”We just wanted to let you know that the machine went down so we’re canceling your session for today. We’ll see you at the same time tomorrow”. Just my luck! Lol. But now I can officially say “I’m done!!!”

The skin that was damaged is healing nicely. I’m constantly stopping myself from peeing it though! I can’t believe I’m saying that I’m looking forward to wearing a bra again, but I am. I’m still experiencing some fatigue, but I’m not sure if that’s the radiation or just returning to teaching after 9 months…..probably a bit of both!

Dx 12/2020, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/13/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 6/10/2021 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 7/26/2021 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 8/19/2021 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 24, 2021 11:17AM Goldcity wrote:

I'm a little reluctant to post now that I'm finished because other than the tediousness of going every day for 33 sessions I had very little side effects. Only got a little bit pink with some itching and a little fatigue. I feel so bad for everyone that had a bad time.

SingingWendy, I know how you feel about wearing a bra again. I just had my fitting and I'm happily wearing new well fitting bras with a prosthetic.

Dx 9/11/2020, IDC, Right, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/8/2020 Hormonal Therapy 1/6/2021 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 6/21/2021 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Page 3 of 3 (71 results)