Join Us

We are 224,301 members in 83 forums discussing 163,482 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone have redness and swelling after mapping?

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Aug 14, 2021 03:39AM

Tangled wrote:

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been lurking for a while. So first off I want to thank everyone for the great info here. It's been much appreciated.

I started radiation therapy this week on my right breast. They did mapping on Monday and scheduled me to start radiation on Wednesday. By Tuesday I noticed an area on my breast -maybe a little less than 1/4 of my breast - with light redness and minor swelling -kinda like a big hive..rather subtle but noticeable -(I'm about 6 weeks post-op). I expected skin reactions during treatment but I didn't expect this to begin just after mapping. I started the radiation treatments Wednesday and the same area has gotten angrier -not alarmingly but again noticeably. It does not hurt or itch. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if this is a normal experience. Did anyone else have this kind of reaction start right after mapping? Could that have triggered it? It seems weird to me since radiation hadn't even started. I'm just a little concerned it could be an infection instead of a treatment reaction.

Doctors assistant checked it on Wednesday and basically just said to monitor and call if it got worse quickly. The doctor will take a look at it Monday.

Surgery 6/24/2021 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Dx 6/26/2021, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Radiation Therapy 8/11/2021 Whole-breast: Breast

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Aug 14, 2021 08:05AM gb2115 wrote:

The mapping is just a CT scan, not treatment, so it sounds like something else going on. I hope it gets better for you. Definitely keep an eye on it!

Dx IDC in Oct 2016, stage 2A, 1.2 cm ER/PR+ Her2-, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, Lumpectomy + rads + tam. Age 38. 5/21 Dx IDC. 1.3 cm ER/PR+, Her2 -. Gr 2. 2/3 nodes positive. AC/T. Age 42

Aug 14, 2021 02:03PM RatherBeSailing wrote:

Tangled -

You might want to take photos. That way you can document any possible changes over the course of several days, and show them to your doctor on Monday.

Good luck!

Aug 14, 2021 02:26PM Spookiesmom wrote:

Did you get tattoos? Maybe allergic reaction to that?

First time IDGgrade 3, stage 3. Second time, found lump myself. That made me stage 4. Dx IDC, Stage IIIA, Grade 3

Aug 16, 2021 08:04PM Tangled wrote:

Thanks to everyone for weighing in! They rechecked it today and since it is still red, warm and swollen they started me on an antibiotic in case it is post-op infection. Better safe than sorry.

Surgery 6/24/2021 Lumpectomy: Left, Right Dx 6/26/2021, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Radiation Therapy 8/11/2021 Whole-breast: Breast

Aug 16, 2021 08:16PM RatherBeSailing wrote:

Glad to hear you got it checked out, and that it's being taken care of!

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)