Topic: Starting Radiation October 2021

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 09:35AM

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 09:35AM

NatureYogi wrote:

Hello! Wanted to get a thread started for October radiation, I've met with my Radiation Oncologist and I'll be receiving 30 treatments. I also had my simulation this week and have my markers in place. Technically I start September 30, but what's one more day!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 22 (219 results)

Sep 18, 2021 11:38AM esther01 wrote:

Hi NatureYogi,

Glad you've started this thread! How great that you're already past your simulation. You will find a lot of wonderful support as you go through this. I am almost done. I've finished 31 of 33 treatments, so I have the last two coming up this week. The love and support from others going through it at the same time made such a difference for me and I know it will for you, too. We are able to share our experiences and resources and just be there for each other. I joined the August group which has turned into the September group since most everyone is still going through the radiation. The September group will lift you up, too.

Will you be having physical therapy to your arm during radiation? I had 11 nodes removed so I have some cording to resolve but it showed up even before radiation. I have kept myself moving and walking a ton throughout radiation to stay ahead of fatigue. I am eating healthy with a ton of protein and drinking a ton of water, but I did not have chemo immediately before radiation so that truly may account for the lack of fatigue. My skin is fine (so far) after 31 treatments. The nipple became sensitive after #25 but nothing hurts. I just have the world's deepest tan.

I hope you will do extremely well and will sail through your rads.

Love,

Esther

Grateful to Jesus for saving my soul and carrying me through every valley Dx 12/2020, IDC, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/9/2021 Surgery 6/10/2021 Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes

Sep 18, 2021 11:41AM lw422 wrote:

Hey NatureYogi. I'm pretty sure I'll be having radiation in October; I meet with my RO next Wednesday. To say that I am dreading radiation is putting it mildly... I'm terrified. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from my mastectomy and lymph node removal and still quite sensitive/tight from surgery. I hope the ROM exercises I'm doing will allow me to get into place for rads without too much discomfort.

Sep 19, 2021 01:23PM NatureYogi wrote:

Esther01-I had nodes removed as well, been to therapy and my ROM is good. My arm/hand kind of fell asleep during simulation, but other than that all is well. Was there anything in particular that you put on your skin for healing? Glad you are doing well and that you are almost complete! I'll be having my supraclavicular nodes radiated also, they said my throat might get irritated. I'm going to go through the September thread and read up, this site really does help!

LW422-4th/5th week you will feel a lot better, keep doing exercises. I've got most of my feeling back, just a little numbness under armpit and part of incision. I've learned how to dress, but with radiation, I know I'll be going without bra at one point. I'll use scarves to camouflage my chest area. Bought some men's tank tshirts. Simulation not bad, you just have to lay still for a good amount of time.

I have my markers, just have to keep them from falling off for the next two weeks, they did say if they get my 'plan" into place earlier than September 30 I can start sooner!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Sep 19, 2021 03:33PM lw422 wrote:

NatureYogi--I had surgery August 23 so it appears I'm about a month behind you recovery-wise. I'm not sure exactly when my radiation will start but I guess I'll find out on Thursday. I didn't expect my surgical recovery to be so difficult with tightness and sensitivity, so that has had me down in the dumps. I keep thinking that when I start to feel better physically my mental outlook is bound to improve.

Ugh, the thought of supraclavicular nodes radiated terrifies me. One poster on the IBC thread had a stroke after radiation damaged the vein in her neck. Why does all this crap have to be so terrifying??? I just hate this SO MUCH.

Sep 19, 2021 05:26PM NatureYogi wrote:

That is really scary about the stroke! Next time I go back, I'm going to see what they say. It is so hard that we don't have any control, I worry about the cancer coming back too. Are you getting the supraclavicular nodes radiated too? I guess we will be a nervous wreck together. I go back to MO for check up October 1, she wants to discuss possibly taking Xeloda, even though I got pCR.

Sep 19, 2021 06:35PM - edited Sep 19, 2021 06:37PM by lw422

I don't know anything about my radiation plan yet, but since I have IBC I'm sure they'll radiate everything. I also had pCR and no nodes positive though they removed 32 of them. That still makes me mad; why do they have to put me at risk for lymphedema by doing that. I'm sure my armpit will never be the same so one more thing to endure.

I see my MO on Tuesday and I'm wondering if he'll try to talk me into more "treatment" (like xeloda) but at this point I'm not feeling like I will agree to more chemicals. I just want to feel normal again. (My cancer was PR+ but I have been treated as TN.)

Sep 19, 2021 09:28PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi there! I started rads on Sept. 7th (25 days). I joined the August group as I was supposed start in August. It's a great group. I didn't see a September group so decided to check in with you all as my last session is scheduled for Oct. 11th. I'm 8 sessions in and just want to get this done with.

My rads was brought on by a tumor that reared it's face after I finished ACT & Carbo, a BMX and a few cycles of Xeloda. I had "blemish" that was excised during my exchange surgery and, well, here I am...having rads and preparing myself psychologically to begin Xeloda again once I'm finished being zapped.

Hi Esther!!

Hoping you all have a wonderful night!

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 20, 2021 11:42AM lw422 wrote:

Hi Serendipity; glad you could join us to finish up your rads. So sorry you had a second DX so soon. :sad:

I'm wondering how the determination is made on whether Xeloda is recommended for a TN. I see my MO tomorrow and I'm afraid he will "recommend" that I take it. At this point I am so freakin' sick of feeling awful; I just want to be done with treatment. Plus after reading about Xeloda SEs I have to say that I would be really afraid of that stuff. I hope the Xeloda is easier for you this next time.

I can feel my anxiety level building up as I anticipate my RO appointment on Thursday. I wish I could get my mind in a positive place but I'm just so tired of cancer treatment.

Sep 21, 2021 06:39AM swimgal wrote:

Good morning. Thank you, NatureYogi, for starting this thread. I am not due to start rads until the end of October or early November. I have had 9 of 12 weekly Taxol treatments and have been blessed with minimum SE's. I am tired the day of treatment, but minor fatigue otherwise. I am curious if anyone who has had the 12 weekly Taxol followed by rads if their fatigue was worse with rads or chemo. I have been following several of the rads forums and it seems like fatigue is a big issue. Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Blessings to all!

Dx 6/10/2021, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2021 02:29PM serendipity09 wrote:

LW422 - For me, when I was prescribed Xeloda a year ago, my MO described it as precautionary measure because I was/am triple negative and the cancer did not respond to the taxol and spread to my lymph nodes; maintenance of sorts, and I was only supposed do to do 8 cycles. I barely got through 3 cycles. My SE's though, were different, I didn't suffer from hand and foot, Thank God, but I was in so much pain, again, I was only 10 weeks out from having my last chemo infusion, so it just could've been the lasting SE's and the Xeloda on top of it. UGH! I don't even want to think about taking it again. I hope you get good news at your appointment today!

Hi swimgal!

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Page 1 of 22 (219 results)

Scroll to top button