Topic: Starting Radiation October 2021

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 07:35AM

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 07:35AM

natureyogi wrote:

Hello! Wanted to get a thread started for October radiation, I've met with my Radiation Oncologist and I'll be receiving 30 treatments. I also had my simulation this week and have my markers in place. Technically I start September 30, but what's one more day!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 9/30/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 10/3/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right): Modified Radical

Page 3 of 23 (225 results)

Sep 29, 2021 10:15AM lw422 wrote:

Hi Esther. Yes, I have the clear tape stuff over my sharpie markings... very fashionable!! I'm nervous about them coming loose in the shower but so far, so good. Girl, I can't imagine showering only once a week; I LIVE for my nightly shower... it's the best part of my day. Seems like they would want the skin cleaned of any lotion residue for the treatments??

Hey Maura1. Sounds like your plan is the same as mine... 5 weeks then one week of boosts. Hopefully we'll sail right through them. I start on Monday... YIKES!!

I didn't have TC chemo (I had AC/T), and my last chemo was July 29. I started seeing little "peach fuzz" on my head about 4 weeks after chemo ended. Right now I have pretty good growth going but it's going to take time. I'm just happy to see some growth up there!

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Sep 29, 2021 12:25PM serendipity09 wrote:

Maura I can't help answer your hair question as my last chemo infusion was Aug 2020 but today I completed day 17 of 25 of rads. I hope your hair begins to grow soon!

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 30, 2021 09:46AM - edited Sep 30, 2021 09:47AM by lw422

Serendipity--Wow, you are getting close to the end! Good job! How are you holding up? I hope you're not having any awful SEs to deal with.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Sep 30, 2021 10:42AM serendipity09 wrote:

LW - at my first visit they told me to expect to start feeling fatigue and possible SE's week 2/3. I had pain and a lot of discomfort right off the bat, but it seemed to subside somewhat. I'm in week 3.5 right now and it hit me like a ton of bricks; the fatigue, the "sunburn," itchiness, sleeplessness, tightness in the armpit and nausea, it all hit me hard this week, but it's all more tolerable than chemo was, for me at least. My RO asked me yesterday if I wanted to lower my rads dose, I said no. I want this beast zapped to high hell (my apologies if I offend anyone with that expression).

You start Monday, correct?

"You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore, before you decide to be happy" - Nightbirde Dx IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 30, 2021 11:32AM - edited Sep 30, 2021 11:33AM by lw422

Sorry you got hit hard with SEs this week, Serendipity. I totally agree (and am NOT offended) with "hitting it to high hell". I have IBC and I really want those boosts on my scar... I want them to boost the hell out of it! As I understand it, we get one chance at radiation in a given area, so let's make it good. The good news is that you are getting close to the finish line, so hang tight, girl. Are you able to do any stretching to help the tightness? Ugh, I dread that... my mastectomy scar is already tight and uncomfortable and I'm hoping the rads won't make it worse.

Yep; Monday's the day!! I'm happy that my rads team has been able to schedule me most days between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. so I won't be traveling in Houston's awful rush hour every day. I'm ready to get this show on the road!

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Sep 30, 2021 02:45PM aklynna wrote:

Hello all!

I had my radiation consult yesterday, simulation is scheduled for next Tuesday, then should start a week or so after. I’m going to try and wait till the 18th as I have a few appts already scheduled the week of the 11th. I will have 20 total sessions, with the last few being boosts.

Luckily the hospital that all of my appts are at is only about 5 miles away. The hardest part is going to be scheduling since I work 7:30-4:30 everyday and their latest appt is around 3/3:30.

I am nervous about all of it…the skin reactions, the fatigue, the discomfort in my arm (which is still so tight), but know that it needs to happen.

Glad to read the updates from those of you that have finished or are almost finished…great reminder that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Kristy

Sep 30, 2021 04:31PM natureyogi wrote:

Today was the first day of treatment, was a little longer since they had to double check everything. Other than that, it was quick. I got the Calendula cream and will use aloe also. 29 treatments left!

Hope everyone is doing well with their treatments!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 9/30/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 10/3/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right): Modified Radical

Sep 30, 2021 05:42PM Maryoe wrote:

Hello everyone! I've learned so much from this community since my diagnosis in August. Finally posting for the first time.

My simulation is scheduled for next week, and I'm a bit nervous, because I just started OT for cording. I can lift my arm straight over my head, but I can't fully extend my elbow. Raising my arm straight out to the side is really the biggest issue. I'm hoping one more week of OT and exercises will for sure get me where I need to be. I will be SOOO bummed if I can't have the simulation as scheduled due to ROM issues.

My lumpectomy was only on the 13th, so it makes sense that I still have a ways to go with healing. My RO wants to quickly go straight into treatment, and I'm definitely not against it. I have some commitments in December that I really want to keep, so finishing in November is ideal. But I also wonder if everyone is expecting a bit too much too soon from my body. My weekend plans are basically exercises and massage of the cords. We'll see what happens!

Hope everyone continues to do well with treatment!

Dx 8/20/2021, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 9/13/2021 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/12/2021 Whole breast

Sep 30, 2021 06:38PM lw422 wrote:

NatureYogi--woohoo!! One down! I hope it goes smoothly without bad SEs for you.

Maryoe--howdy and welcome. Sorry that you have to be here but you're in good company! I understand your concerns about range of motion; I was nervous about that, too. Thankfully mine has improved dramatically but I'm a lot farther out from surgery than you are. Just keep up the exercises a couple of times a day. The radiation techs can help support your arm and body if you need it; they were very gentle with me. Let us know how it goes and when your treatment starts.

Dx IBC, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Sep 30, 2021 07:43PM serendipity09 wrote:

LW - thank you! Luckily tomorrow is Friday and I have the weekend off. I started PT in January because my ROM was so poor after my BMX. MY RO had me stop PT when I started rads so as not to allow for any shifting of tissue and screw up the areas needing to be radiated. I can't wait to get back and have some cording done. The armpit bothers me most as my breast is numb. My scar does not seem to have been affected so far; praying it stays that way.

Glad you were able to get appointments that keep you out of traffic. Who needs that on top of everything else! I had a sense of relief once I started. It's not fun, but at least something was finally being done.

Aklynna - I was very scared at first. I had a complete meltdown when I went in for my mapping session. For me, it was the anxiety and anticipation leading up to it. It was all so overwhelming and intimidating. Hoping you feel a bit more at ease after your simulation(I think you will).

NatureYogi - YAY for starting today! I'm glad it went well for you.

Maryoe - Sending you positive vibes that all goes well with your simulation. I agree with LW, keep up the daily stretches; it really does help.

I'll be here cheering you all on as we go through this together.

Have a great night!

Page 3 of 23 (225 results)

Scroll to top button