Topic: Starting Radiation October 2021

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 10:35AM

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 10:35AM

NatureYogi wrote:

Hello! Wanted to get a thread started for October radiation, I've met with my Radiation Oncologist and I'll be receiving 30 treatments. I also had my simulation this week and have my markers in place. Technically I start September 30, but what's one more day!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Page 4 of 22 (219 results)

Sep 30, 2021 11:51PM Esther01 wrote:

Hi everyone,

NatureYogi, congratulations on having your first day behind you!! That is awesome.

Maryoe, I hope your simulation goes well. Make sure they help you get into the most comfortable position possible since you'll be in that same position throughout.

Aklynna, I felt the same way. This whole part of our treatment takes a mental toll on us because all our lives we run away from radiation damage, and now we're instructed to lie down and deliberately radiate ourselves. My brain had a hard time with that and wanted to run away! But, thanks to loving support here, from my rad techs, and from my family and friends, I got through the 35 treatments and just celebrated being done. I never had any fatigue at all. I think that might be because I did not have chemo right before (or at all). I also drank a lot of water and exercised every day even when I truly felt like skipping it.

My cording and ROM is getting better which is a relief. For what it's worth, while my breast and back (since the rad beams come out there) got REALLY reddish tan, I only briefly had a bit of nipple sensitivity and of course some itching like others have mentioned. But my skin never broke, peeled, or blistered. I am one week out and it's not even peeling, it's just tan which is fading each day. I mention all that because everybody responds differently (and as I was laughingly mentioning earlier, I think my once weekly shower might have actually helped).

Speaking of lotioning, I was careful not to lotion within 3 hours of getting rads, but my RO surprised me by saying that admonition is an old wives' tale and that I didn't have to forego lotioning before radiation. Well, that message didn't get to his rad techs, who repeated what I have always heard - that you should NOT lotion within 3 hours of treatment. So even though the RO had assured me it was fine, I played it safe and never did. The calendula cream would get pretty well absorbed so I could apply it three times a day and it never got greasy. I tried aquafor only once.

Anyway, hope that helps. I am thinking of you gals who are just starting. You'll get through this! I hope your commutes will not be too bad. When we do something difficult like this together, it is so much more bearable and manageable and for that I am so grateful.

Much love,

Esther

Grateful to Jesus, that His love finally broke through to me. "With one touch, You just rolled away the stone that held my heart," - Lyrics by Keith Green, " 7 weeks of Radiation including supraclavicular nodes. Dx 12/2020, IDC, Stage IIB, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 6/9/2021 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left) Radiation Therapy 8/4/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 30, 2021 11:51PM Esther01 wrote:

And Hi, Serendipity! :)

Sleep well, everyone-

Love,

Esther

Grateful to Jesus, that His love finally broke through to me. "With one touch, You just rolled away the stone that held my heart," - Lyrics by Keith Green, " 7 weeks of Radiation including supraclavicular nodes. Dx 12/2020, IDC, Stage IIB, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 6/9/2021 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left) Radiation Therapy 8/4/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Oct 1, 2021 11:12AM grandmaadams wrote:

Hi ladies ... I'm finished with rads but I have a tip for those with sharpie marks and clear stickers. I was careful with them and they stayed on amazingly well even with daily showers. I did have one that the edge started to peel off. I clipped off the sticky end of a band-aid and used it to hold the sticker in place until my next treatment. The techs just peeled it off and replaced the sticker with a new one. It's not the stickers you need to worry about, it's washing off the marker. Good luck to all.

Oct 1, 2021 07:16PM wondering44 wrote:

Planted a couple of barrels of these today in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Sharing with all of you starting radiation this month. I hope all of you healed from your surgeries and lots of warm thoughts going your way on your next step in your treatment plans. Wishing you guys all the best in radiation treatment.

Radiation Therapy 1/11/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 8/18/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing Hormonal Therapy 12/27/2021 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/27/2021 Femara (letrozole) Dx DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2021 10:23AM NatureYogi wrote:

Thank you Wondering44! I'm 2 treatments down, going well so far. Glad the weekend is here to have a break before I go through the next 5 days.

LW44-It helps having a schedule that you will be happy with. I think we all get tired from going back and forth to treatments and appointments.

Grandmaadam-Great tip, thank you! My top sticker seems to come loose often, I'll try the band aid.

Ester01-Thank you for your continued support!

I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend! Happy Fall!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Oct 2, 2021 01:41PM FloridaTBone wrote:

Hi Everyone! NatureYogi, thanks for starting this. Like you, my first day of radiation was 9/30, but I thought this was the place to be since most of mine will be in October. So far so good, although 'right boob' [not to offend anyone--I refer to my breast that way!] feels weird. I've had discomfort since my fourth biopsy in June (to explore another suspicious area before surgery)--it is tolerable, but 'twingie'. Hope it eventually goes away. I was shocked at how short the rad appointments are--the simulation was definitely longer. Anyway, 2 down, 18 more to go! Wishing you all a healing and restful weekend!

Dx 5/10/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/19/2021 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 9/30/2021 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy

Oct 2, 2021 04:45PM serendipity09 wrote:

FloridaTBone - sorry that you are here, but welcome! Hoping that all goes well for you and that the 8 goes quickly for you.

I feel the same way; it takes me longer to drive to my appointments than the actual appointment.

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 3, 2021 03:36PM lw422 wrote:

Hello everyone! Sounds like we are "off and running" for our October treatments. My first one is tomorrow and I'm feeling a little anxious but ready to get started (and finished) with it.

Wandering44--thanks for the pretty petunias!

FloridaTBone--welcome. I hope your treatment goes well.

Serendipity--I hope you're feeling better. You are in the home stretch now!

I hope everyone has a good week.

Surgery 8/23/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Dx IBC/IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, ER-/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Right breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes

Oct 3, 2021 07:08PM serendipity09 wrote:

LW- I'll be thinking about you and sending positive vibes. I say a prayer for all of us everyday I'm in the machine. I am in the final stretch, but will be here for you all until your done!

Happy Sunday evening to you all!

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 4, 2021 11:45AM aklynna wrote:

LW- good luck today!!

Serendipity- congrats on being in the final stretch! Thank you for your support and advice on my dilemma. I really think I’m just going to decline. I don’t know that I will mentally or physically be in a good place to deal with a wedding.

Kristy

Page 4 of 22 (219 results)

Scroll to top button