Topic: Starting Radiation January, 2022

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Dec 28, 2021 11:04PM

Posted on: Dec 28, 2021 11:04PM

jen2957 wrote:

Anyone else starting radiation in January who would like to share experiences and provide support to one another? As I’ve been waiting to be cleared for rads, I have been following the experiences of those in the November and December radiation topic threads and have learned so much from the discussion there!

I had my UMX on October 21, but had a positive margin that had to be surgically dealt with, so my radiation plan was delayed a bit. Today, I finally got the all-clear from my plastic surgeon to go ahead with rads! I will be mapped on January 6 (they were able to schedule it on the same day as my oncology appointment, second Lupron shot, and first Zometa infusion, so it will be convenient, but definitely a full day)! I was told I will get started on the actual treatments about a week after mapping, so that should be the second week in January. I will have 25 sessions + 5 boosts (depending on how my skin holds up).

I’ll be getting rads with my TE in place, so if anyone has gone that route, I would love to hear how it went. I’m also interested in possibly using Mepitel, but I don’t yet know if my hospital recommends/allows it. Wishing everyone a happy last few days of the hear

Surgery 10/21/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing, Simple, Skin Sparing; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 12/2/2021 Lumpectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/22/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 1/19/2022 Whole breast: Right breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 4/6/2022 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting Surgery 5/3/2022 Surgery 8/1/2022 Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Dx IDC/DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 16 (151 results)

Dec 29, 2021 04:23AM Mermaid75 wrote:

I'll be starting radiation in January! First meeting with the Rad Onc on Jan 7th, then it sounds like it'll all start quickly after that. Just joined and still figuring out my signature, but wanted to post to let you know there's another January out there

DX 12/21, adenoid cystic carcinoma, 3cm, triple negative

Dec 29, 2021 06:03AM moderators wrote:

Mermaid, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sorry you had to find this group, but we're glad you did, you're in good company here!

Jen, excellent initiative, thank you for starting this thread!

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Dec 29, 2021 08:02AM mfk wrote:

I'm also part of Team January. I had my planning session last week, and will have fifteen fractions of 3D CRT in January. My radiation oncologist is an evangelist for PBI in the right circumstances, referring to an age of treatment de-escalation in one of his papers. I've been fortunate in my diagnosis and surgery (margins were widely negative), so I fit the profile.

Dec 29, 2021 08:45PM jen2957 wrote:

Mermaid and MFK-

So glad you guys joined the crew- hopefully we will have some more come along soon. I know it’s not where any of us wanted to be, but I am so thankful we have this platform to help us support one another.

MFK- how did the mapping go? It does sound like you have an excellent RO looking out for you.

Mermaid- looks like you and I are going to be very close in our timelines. Do you know how many sessions you will be doing? On a non-rads note: you are absolutely in the right place with this community. There is so much info and so much support here; I think you will get acclimated quickly and find yourself with tons of supportive people who are willing to do whatever they can to help you through this process

Surgery 10/21/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing, Simple, Skin Sparing; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 12/2/2021 Lumpectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/22/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 1/19/2022 Whole breast: Right breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 4/6/2022 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting Surgery 5/3/2022 Surgery 8/1/2022 Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Dx IDC/DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 30, 2021 09:04AM mfk wrote:

Jen - the mapping went well. The one notable aspect of my case is that the calcifications were close to the posterior margin at the pectoralis fascia. At the consult, the RO referred to that as "more challenging" but he was less concerned after reviewing the results of the scan and DIBH. They'll be using the TrueBeam treatment machine. For a few hours I wondered if I would be bothered by the tattoos, but I quickly put that behind me. They are very small specks. You won't find me at the gym or on a Peloton, but I routinely walk 3-5 miles at a moderately brisk pace, and the 30-second breath hold was pretty easy once you realize that you have to be intentional about it. I've started practicing at home with 45 seconds, which hopefully will make the actual DIBH seem easy. There's a picture of the scan in my medical record that looks like something you'd expect to see enlarged on the walls of a loft apartment - a Pepto-Bismol-colored view of my girls. They deserve some glory after putting up with the compressions and needles and such.

Dec 30, 2021 11:57AM txlorelei wrote:

I had my mapping on December 7, but due the holidays and traveling for my dad's memorial service I don't have my treatment dry run until January 3. I'll need 30 sessions so the last one should be Valentine's Day.

Incidentally I just learned that my stepsister writes computer programs that control medical devices - including radiation machines. So I will have her to thank for getting zapped in the right places!

Dx 7/7/2020, ILC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 26/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/12/2020 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 1/4/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right): Simple; Reconstruction (Right): Aesthetic Flat Closure Dx 8/25/2021, LCIS, Left, 1cm, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/11/2021 Mastectomy (Left): Modified Radical; Reconstruction (Left): Aesthetic Flat Closure Radiation Therapy 1/3/2022 Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall, Right breast Targeted Therapy 3/3/2022 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC

Dec 31, 2021 10:13AM qkalake wrote:

Happy New Year to all...hoping we all get throught our Jan treatments.

Still wondering if anyone on this forum has had a second lumpectomy and a second round of radiation on the same breast? That is what I am facing so would love to know if anyone is going through the same thing. I understand that it is not often offered as an option as many ROs are not familar with the target radiation, but my RO has been very successful. It prevented me from having a mastecomy.

Dec 31, 2021 12:44PM mfk wrote:

QKAlake - I just read your earlier post on the topic. It's not mentioned very often in the general literature. It would be interesting to know how often and at which cancer centers it's even given consideration as an option. I did note this paper when looking for research on the topic. It's certainly been under review for a long time. Good to hear that it's working well in your RO's practice.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/...

Jan 2, 2022 08:15AM - edited Jan 2, 2022 08:17AM by jen2957

QKAlake- Interesting situation, and I hope someone comes along who can share some first-hand experience. I wonder if your RO would be willing to ask a patient he or she has already treated using this approach to reach out to you. Although privacy laws can be a bit tricky at times, I have offered to my PCP/GP (not sure where you are located) to share my contact info with any of her patients she thinks may need some support after a recent breast cancer diagnosis. Perhaps your RO has some patients who would be more than happy to reach out to you. I look forward to learning about your RO's plan and how it works for you.

Jan 2, 2022 12:54PM dres123 wrote:

My wife is starting radiation on Jan 12. 5 weeks, 25 sessions. I Will share our experiences and Wish everyone the best!

Page 1 of 16 (151 results)

Scroll to top button