Topic: Starting Radiation January, 2022

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Dec 29, 2021 12:04PM

Posted on: Dec 29, 2021 12:04PM

jen2957 wrote:

Anyone else starting radiation in January who would like to share experiences and provide support to one another? As I’ve been waiting to be cleared for rads, I have been following the experiences of those in the November and December radiation topic threads and have learned so much from the discussion there!

I had my UMX on October 21, but had a positive margin that had to be surgically dealt with, so my radiation plan was delayed a bit. Today, I finally got the all-clear from my plastic surgeon to go ahead with rads! I will be mapped on January 6 (they were able to schedule it on the same day as my oncology appointment, second Lupron shot, and first Zometa infusion, so it will be convenient, but definitely a full day)! I was told I will get started on the actual treatments about a week after mapping, so that should be the second week in January. I will have 25 sessions + 5 boosts (depending on how my skin holds up).

I’ll be getting rads with my TE in place, so if anyone has gone that route, I would love to hear how it went. I’m also interested in possibly using Mepitel, but I don’t yet know if my hospital recommends/allows it. Wishing everyone a happy last few days of the hear

Surgery 10/21/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing, Simple, Skin Sparing; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 12/2/2021 Lumpectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/22/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 1/19/2022 Whole breast: Right breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 4/6/2022 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting Surgery 5/3/2022 Dx IDC/DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2 of 15 (149 results)

Jan 3, 2022 11:16PM jen2957 wrote:

Dres123- Welcome to the January Crew! I love it when we have spouses join the community- it really is a disease that affects the whole family. I think your wife and I will be on a similar schedule time-wise; I’m hoping to get started by January 14, if possible, so I can finish in time to accompany my husband on a week-long business trip. I will get the 25, but will also get up to 5 boosts at the end.

Do you mind sharing with this group a little about your wife’s diagnosis details? Did she have a lumpectomy? Mastectomy? Estrogen receptor positive, etc?

Jen

Surgery 10/21/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing, Simple, Skin Sparing; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Surgery 12/2/2021 Lumpectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/22/2021 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 1/19/2022 Whole breast: Right breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 4/6/2022 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting Surgery 5/3/2022 Dx IDC/DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 4, 2022 05:51AM oldladyblue wrote:

Hi all, Thanks for this thread. I just got my first radiation treatment today, the first of 15 and 1 boost. I'm in a prone position because my cancer was deep, close to my chest wall right above my heart, so this is the best position per the doc.

Surgery 7/1/2021 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/8/2021 Other Radiation Therapy 1/4/2022 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 4, 2022 12:40PM jen2957 wrote:

blue- Welcome- that’s fantastic- it is supposed to be a great way to effectively treat some patients while providing much more protection for the surrounding tissues and organs! Hopefully, you are finding it to be relatively comfortable. Keep us posted on how you are feeling as you progress!

Jen

Jan 5, 2022 08:21AM Mermaid75 wrote:

Hi all! It's a busy week - MRI yesterday, CT tomorrow, and then RO initial visit on Friday. Spending more time than I probably should trying to guess how many sessions I'll need. Not being able to set up my calendar for the next couple months is one of the hardest things for me to deal with. Any one else driven crazy by the scheduling uncertainties during this journey?

DX 12/21, adenoid cystic carcinoma, 3cm, triple negative

Jan 5, 2022 10:47AM jen2957 wrote:

Mermaid- oh my gosh, YES! I feel your pain. I just found out last week that my RO’s orders are for 25 sessions, plus up to 5 boosts (TBD, depending on my skin).

My husband’s organization’s biggest annual event (that has been cancelled due to Covid for the past two years)- hosted/coordinated primarily by him- is Feb 25-March 5. I get mapped for radiation Thursday, but they said it would take 7-10 days before I get started. I have a little “If I start on x day, then I finish on y day” list to determine if I get to go or not. I know that seems like such a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but I just want some of my life back. It’s maddening!

Also, I live in Ky and my dad lives in Colorado- he had a major emergency spinal surgery right as I began to get scheduled for my surgery, etc. I can’t get a handle on my treatment schedule enough to get out there to see him. Thank goodness for technology.

I hope you get some finalized plans soon!

Jan 6, 2022 02:11AM qkalake wrote:

mfk

Thanks for sending the article. I am in Boston, so major medical centers, but even among the RO's at various hospitals, they treat a second lumpectomy and radiation differently. My RO has been doing it for over 10 years which is what gave me the confidence to proceed as opposed to automatically having a mastectomy.

Jan 6, 2022 07:21AM Mermaid75 wrote:

Jen -- It's travel for me, too! I have a girls trip planned the first week of March and I just want to know if I can make it or not. Of course, easier for me because my trip is something that can be rescheduled, but I really don't want to! Fingers crossed the timing works well for your event!

DX 12/21, adenoid cystic carcinoma, 3cm, triple negative

Jan 6, 2022 09:09AM dres123 wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am a little hesitant because I know these boards are primarily for all of you strong women warriors, but I find myself here every day to get more information and resources.

My wife’s case is a little unusual. She was diagnosed last year (Sept 2020)—IDC, 0.2cm, ER/PR+, Her2- her prior diagnosis did not indicate radiation. However in March 2021 she had a “recurrence”—much larger tumor. The doctors believe that it isn’t actually a recurrence but rather residual disease that was just missed (we had intervening IVF egg retrieval and that might have contributed to the tumor growth unfortunately).

Now her recent tumor was 4.5cm, still hormone positive and Her2- Fortunately no nodes that we know of.

She had surgery, then chemo, and now radiation + hormone therapy.

Best wishes to all of you as you get started!

Jan 6, 2022 09:10AM dres123 wrote:

Jen—best wishes for your dad too

Jan 7, 2022 07:26AM Dicon wrote:

hello all. Finished mastectomy then chemo ending Nov 30 and now on my second radiation treatment. Only takes about 10 min on the table with device rotating three times. Scheduled for 33 treatments. Tomorrow is port removal so no radiation and restarting Monday for treatment 3.

No side effects as yet. Have had experience with this 10 years ago after a lumpectomy in the other breast and the fatigue and redness didn’t come until maybe the last 3 weeks. This time it’s a much wider area so I don’t know what to expect. I did already start with aloe and have coconut oil as well. OR said to expect some blistering towards the end but has medication for that and healing is very quick. We shall see.

Dx 2/2021, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 15/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/18/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left

Page 2 of 15 (149 results)

Scroll to top button