Topic: Radiation May 2022

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Apr 22, 2022 11:56AM

Posted on: Apr 22, 2022 11:56AM

nns121317 wrote:

I had my consult and mapping yesterday, and I start six weeks of rads on May 9th. I'd love to share stories with others on the same timeline!

Page 5 of 5 (47 results)

May 13, 2022 03:12PM hippmark wrote:

Well, part of my radiated area is now red. Light red, but red. After 17 treatments, I had hoped to skip it, but like a few others mentioned, it seemed to be fine one day and then Wham! the next day it was red. So mine started 3 1/2 weeks into treatment. Mostly just over the right side of my right breast and the area next to it and some underneath, so not everywhere. Today, I completed 19 treatments to that area! So I think I made it pretty far without seeing any side effects. I have 6 more treatments to go in the entire area and then the 5 boosts to the nipple area where tumor was. All in all, it's ok and does not hurt. We'll just see what the next 6 treatments bring! Hopefully, it will be manageable.

tsohl-I am having a total of 30 treatments, so I am almost in your shoes. I also have been using Rejuvaskin. But I also slather on the Aquaphor. I don't like it, but am doing everything I can. I just wear greasy t-shirts around the house. I found someone who mentioned how to do the saline soaks on the March radiation thread:

I made it myself with 2 cups of boiling water and 1.5 to 2 teaspoons of salt put in a container to cool (I actually put my in the fridge). Then I got the microfiber clothes (one you use to clean your car) soaked one with the salt water and slapped it on my boob for ten to fifteen minutes. My skin healed really well and the blisters to break just healed up.

I don't know when you start using it, but I noticed most seem to use it when the area gets pretty red and/or peeling/blistering.

Mentioning that I read that should you start to peel, not to peel off the skin. The old skin protects the new skin until it can start to come back.

DX 10/29/21, DCIS/IDC, R 1.8 CM, Grade 2, ER+, PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/23/21 Lumpectomy DX 1/10/22 DCIS/IDC Grade 2, 2.2 cm, Stage 2B ,1/1 node Chemo: Taxotere/Cytoxen x4

May 13, 2022 07:59PM - edited May 15, 2022 12:37PM by tsohl

Thanks for the information. So far I'm OK but I feel like I am sitting on a time bomb. I think you are about a week ahead of me in treatment. My tumor presented as a little shadow and divot on the inside side of right breast and went from skin down to the chest wall muscle. It couldn't be seen on MRI or felt so it was really lucky that I noticed it.

The day of surgery, the same radiologist who had performed my biopsy back in Sept., and who was a fairly young woman, was inserting that wire to guide the surgeon. She started asking me questions about the visual appearance of my tumor like “ is THAT the spot?" Then she had the tech come over to look as she asked her…" if this was your body, would you have gone to see your doctor after noticing this?" They both indicated they doubt they would have because it looked so inconsequential. I felt like I was on exhibit but it was interesting that the radiologist who does nothing but look at breasts all day, didn't think she would have recognized cancer if she'd seen it.

Anyway, because it goes almost down to the bone, I am having 6 weeks of radiation and then a week of boosts. I have to go in on the 23rd for a new mapping session for the boost. Do you have to do that?

How is your energy level? Any other side effects?

Radiation Therapy 9/10/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Chest wall, Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 10/4/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 10/4/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/25/2022 Cryotherapy (Right); Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Reconstruction (Right) Dx IDC: Medullary, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 14, 2022 07:59AM hippmark wrote:

tsohl, I spoke slightly too soon. This morning I have two very tiny ulcers below my armpit where my skin folds. They sting but aren't too bad. These are what I believe to be "moist reaction" not dry. I put a little Neosporin on them and Rejuvaskin, but not putting Aquaphor on that area as I have read with moist reaction not to put petroleum on them. Now I need to really keep my arm away from my side. Hard to do! I may indeed try a little saline soak just on that area today as there is also some swelling.

It seems that when it does eventually turn red, like mine from zero to red practically overnight, that's when you need to be more diligent.

You know, you work so hard to follow everything to the letter and yet you still don't know what will happen! I know it will heal, but not while I am still getting rads there. I know it is more prone to happen in areas that the skin folds over and that is exactly where it is for me.

I believe they already mapped me for the boost because I am not scheduled for another mapping session. My energy is still ok. I think another week might tell a different tale, but I will update here.

DX 10/29/21, DCIS/IDC, R 1.8 CM, Grade 2, ER+, PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/23/21 Lumpectomy DX 1/10/22 DCIS/IDC Grade 2, 2.2 cm, Stage 2B ,1/1 node Chemo: Taxotere/Cytoxen x4

May 16, 2022 10:06AM 1982m wrote:

hippmark- sorry to hear your skin opened up.

I’m 2 weeks out now. My breast is healing well. I noticed today it looks like some colour from my areola is missing along the edges. My areola and nipple darkened during radiation and now that the redness is fading it looks like some colour is gone. Not a big deal. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

My energy is touch is and go still. I have good days and bad days. Some days I feel 100% but then usually the next day I’m completely wiped out. The fatigue is much more difficult then I expected and it makes me feel depressed. I was feeling so good before radiation.

Dx 7/13/2021, IDC/DCIS, Left, <1, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

15 hours ago - edited 15 hours ago by hippmark

Day 22 of rads: Today, my rads area is deciding it has had enough and is very red and feels "sunburnt." Not yesterday, but today after rads. Fortunately, I saw my MO for weekly appointment, and he prescribed Mometasone which I picked up and have already started to use. It is a steroid cream. I still have the two tiny ulcerated areas under my arm which are no worse, but not better. I have 3 more full treatment area to go. Then 4 boosts (MO went from 5 down to 4). Total of 7 left.

It seems when your skin is done, it let's you know quickly and I am towards the end of treatment. The worst area is below the armpit and down the sides. I have been more than diligent with all the creams, etc. But I do think anything beyond 20 treatments just be prepared, for those coming behind me. I don't mind it being red, just don't want any more blisters.

All this stuff is making me mentally very tired!

5 hours ago pokemom1959 wrote:

Hi Hippmark - Sorry to hear about your ulcerated areas. I hope they heal quickly.

I had my 11/33 treatment today. 1/3 of the way done. No side effects with the skin so far, but I know it's only been 2.5 weeks. I've been applying the cream my doc gave me twice a day like clockwork. I probably should be doing it 3 times a day.

For those of you who are experiencing fatigue, when does it hit? I have my treatments at 4:15 each afternoon - I do pretty well all day, but when I get home from treatment, the fatigue really kicks in.

Hope everyone is doing well with their treatment. Hugs to all.

Dx 11/7/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/22/2014 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 1/22/2014 Breast Dx 1/23/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 4/7/2014 Dx 2/2021, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/16/2021, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/16/2021 Lumpectomy Chemotherapy 1/24/2022 Other Chemotherapy 1/24/2022 Other Radiation Therapy 5/1/2022 Whole breast: Left breast Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

5 hours ago tsohl wrote:

I had day 17 today and am doing OK so far, but feel like any day now, side effects will strike. I’ve pretty much been told there is no escaping them….

Monday I go in for another mapping session to be sure everything is still all lined up properly and to get ready for the boost in a few weeks

Radiation Therapy 9/10/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Chest wall, Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 10/4/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 10/4/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/25/2022 Cryotherapy (Right); Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Reconstruction (Right) Dx IDC: Medullary, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 5 (47 results)

Scroll to top button