Topic: Radiation May 2022

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Apr 22, 2022 12:56PM

Posted on: Apr 22, 2022 12:56PM

nns121317 wrote:

I had my consult and mapping yesterday, and I start six weeks of rads on May 9th. I'd love to share stories with others on the same timeline!

Page 6 of 9 (87 results)

May 20, 2022 12:58PM hippmark wrote:

I have not had pain, but I know it is not uncommon.

DX 10/29/21, DCIS/IDC, R 1.8 CM, Grade 2, ER+, PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/23/21 Lumpectomy DX 1/10/22 DCIS/IDC Grade 2, 2.2 cm, Stage 2B ,1/1 node Chemo: Taxotere/Cytoxen x4

May 20, 2022 02:18PM noey69 wrote:

tsohl - I had my 9th treatment today and driving home I was getting stabbing like pains in my breast. Very different than the zippy zingy nerve feelings that I have been having. It kind of took my breath away. Been home about 30 minutes now and haven't felt it again. We'll see.

Surgery 4/1/2022 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/1/2022 Left breast Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2022 Dx ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 1/6 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 21, 2022 12:10AM tsohl wrote:

noey69~looks like we had our surgeries about the same time. I’m a little ahead of you with radiation…today was day 17 out of 35 for me! If you don’t mind saying, where was your tumor located? Mine was between my breasts and never showed up on a mammogram. I think due to location, I haven’t had any breast pain prior to this.

They did the sentinel node thing and three were removed…surgeon thought he took two but turned out it was three. That incision is in my right breast by arm pit….

Radiation Therapy 9/10/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Chest wall, Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 10/4/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/25/2022 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Dx IDC: Medullary, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 21, 2022 12:14AM cheftoast wrote:

tsohl, my breasts hurt some through radiation, but oddly, even on the non-surgery side. My RO said it made sense that my surgery side was getting aggravated, but like...was the other side feeling sympathetic? Bodies are weird.

My zingers ramped up hardcore about halfway through and kept up for a week or two after finishing. But on top of that, my breasts have hurt a lot in the weeks after radiation, mostly on the surgery side. They are extremely sensitive, hate going over bumps in the car again, etc. The skin is still settling down but it's the inside that hurts. I guess this is just the breast tissue finding its new form, yet again, now that nothing is actively happening to it. A whole lot of healing going on.

Also, my skin under the arm (sentinel node area) all around to the back is still uncomfortably sensitive. The RO said that is often what bugs people the most, for the longest. But it WILL all settle down. This is the home stretch!

Hormonal Therapy 12/13/2021 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 2/16/2022 Mastectomy (Left): Partial Radiation Therapy 4/4/2022 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Left breast Dx ILC/DCIS/LCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2022 09:27AM curlygirl41 wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to this site (wish I had found it when I was first diagnosed). I started radiation on May 2nd. Was given only 20 treatments total (16 whole at 2.67, 4 boosts at 2.5). This week is my last week and I can't wait to get it over with. After my first treatment, my breast swelled up and was red and hot. My RO said I was one of the "special" cases where later side effects come early… GREAT! So I've been putting mometasone (steroid cream) and Hydraguard Silicone Cream on top since day 3. The swelling went down a little bit but the redness got darker. My right breast is tender/sore to the touch. Although I had some intense pain on Friday that came and went all day (may have been due to a tight sports bra). I was also prescribed silver sulfadiazine for any open burn wounds but thankfully haven’t needed it. Bit concerned about how my skin will react with the boosts though.

Radiation Therapy 2/16/2022 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast Hormonal Therapy 2/16/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx IDC, Right, <1, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2022 04:09PM hippmark wrote:

Hi and welcome! Sorry you were a "special case!" But happy to see you are in your last week. This upcoming week is my last too (30 treatments, 25, 5 boosts). I am on mometasone cream as well as of last week.

I have no idea how my boosts will go either. I never asked if the boosts are stronger or just more of the same.

Best wishes on your last week! Let us know how you do.

DX 10/29/21, DCIS/IDC, R 1.8 CM, Grade 2, ER+, PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/23/21 Lumpectomy DX 1/10/22 DCIS/IDC Grade 2, 2.2 cm, Stage 2B ,1/1 node Chemo: Taxotere/Cytoxen x4

May 22, 2022 04:29PM 1982m wrote:

tsohl my breast swelled a bit and felt sore after. Not hugely sore, it never got really bad. I get zaps still off nerve pain and I’m almost 3 weeks out.

Dx 7/13/2021, IDC/DCIS, Left, <1, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

May 23, 2022 03:03AM - edited May 23, 2022 03:14AM by tsohl

I think my treatments are a bit less intense and for a longer time. I had a long chat with my radiation oncologist last week in which he told me that while the location of my tumor is not unique, he could count on two hands the number of patients who had tumors in between their breasts. (This ina 22 year career.).There isn't much tissue in that location, and my tumor extended from the skin down to the fascia of the pectoralis muscle, but not into the bone. My final week will be a boost to be sure those nasty cells lurking down by the bone are being reached.

So far my skin is holding up well, but I keep expecting any day to suddenly turn red or swell or…

I’ve stopped other creams and moisturizers that I used the first week and am just using Rejuvaskin. Also I’m not showering as much as I used to….

Radiation Therapy 9/10/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Chest wall, Right breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 10/4/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/25/2022 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Dx IDC: Medullary, Right, 2cm, Stage IIIB, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 23, 2022 10:13PM ale777 wrote:

I am a little over a month out from 25 days of radiation. I thought I was in good shape at the end and then I developed brutal moist desquamation under both armpits. Bandages really didnt work in that area so was tough. I was sent to a wound center and they suggested destine(yes baby diaper ointment) and ankle bandages. Sure enough it took about a week to heal. Im still baffled why my left armpit seems more damaged than my right that the axilla and superclavical were radiated. weird, but this whole process has been a bit weird.

May 26, 2022 02:38AM tsohl wrote:

Wow! We seem to have a topic with little interest! I could hardly find it tonight. I guess that is good news if we all are having so few problems going through radiotherapy!

i finished trea#19 today and have had no side effects. I will finish with this part of RT next Friday, June 3rd. Then I have ten sessions of boosts to look forward to…I had a second mapping session on Monday for it…a new ct scan, but tomorrow they are going to do a simulated appointment to be sure the beams are lined up, etc. I was warned they would be drawing on my skin to establish a template of how to treat…my husband's comment was “I'd like to see that…". My thought: roll eyes: sounds kinky to me….(not)

Page 6 of 9 (87 results)

Scroll to top button