We are 159,156 members in 80 forums discussing 125,803 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) → Topic: Botox and breast cancer

Topic: Botox and breast cancer

Forum: ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma) — Just diagnosed, in treatment, or finished treatment for ILC.

Posted on: Sep 2, 2010 09:27AM

frances1 wrote:

Can botox cause breast cancer...I had it done few times before I been diagnosed with  ILC

in April...I been reading that many breast cancer ladies still do Botox  and other face fillings after they finish their cancer treatment..Is that right..and is it safe ..Does anyone know..

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Sep 2, 2010 10:23AM Kleenex wrote:

Were you using it on or near your breasts? I'm not thinking that there's a major pathway from the brow to the breast, otherwise. It is a toxin and if incorrectly injected can cause facial problems - haven't heard anything about a link to breast or other kinds of cancer.

After we are diagnosed with breast cancer, we often try to find SOMETHING to pin the cancer on, but unless you have some genetic link, you really will never know what caused it. There are some amusing threads on here somewhere in which people speculate about what caused their cancer. Maddening, but that's how it is.

Dx 6/19/2008, ILC, 2cm, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 2, 2010 10:36AM , edited Sep 2, 2010 10:44AM by dlb823

frances ~ I've read everything I could get my hands on regarding breast cancer since I was diagnosed 2-1/2 years ago, and I've never come across any suspected connection to Botox.  OTOH, I've never used Botox, so have never searched specifically for it in connection to bc. 

I have, however, found plenty of research regarding hormone replacement, which you mentioned in an earlier post as having been on for 9 years.  I personally believe that that could have been a strong contributor, if not the whole reason.  At least I firmly believe that's true in my case.

Did you happen to see the very recent research that greatly increased the previously believed risk between long-term use of HRT and developing bc?   I'll try to find it and add a link here for you.   Deanna

PS ~ Here you go :  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/197388.php 

"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Sep 3, 2010 03:31PM , edited Sep 3, 2010 03:32PM by LisaSec

Frances, I have looked at this issue and have found no link between the two. I receive BOTOX injections for migraine headaches. My neurologist first suggested it six years ago and I was concerned about potential for negative health benefits. I finally gave in two years ago because the headaches were unbearable. I would like to have BOTOX now as my headaches are getting out of control but my doctor says not until I finish rads. He says it is just best not to introduce anything that is not necessary during bc treatment.

In response to what Deanna said, there are actually a lot of studies that support the link between HRT and ER+/PR+ breast cancers. So it becomes a question of whether you are ER/PR positive or negative. If you want more information about this PM me and I can pull the studies for you.

Hope this helps!

Dx 5/10/2010, ILC, 3cm, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 3, 2010 03:40PM JAT wrote:

I'm actually glad you posted this question.  After I had my surgeries I felt like I aged 100 years and wanted to treat myself, but I've been worried about putting anything "foreign" into my face (the implants in my chest feel weird enough).  My doctors all told me there's no link with bc, and I'm pretty sure all those years of birth control pills may have contributed (along with all the pesticides and mosquito sprays we endured as kids--I'm 45--but who knows?).  I still haven't done the botox but think it will be my b-day treat to me this year. Since my boobs are so young, I deserve a face to match!--Julie

Dx 5/9/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+

Oct 10, 2010 06:20PM frances1 wrote:

My real question..Is it safe to do botox and other face filing after finishing  breast cancer treatment..I been told to be careful in even using products for face or hair or body or even perfume that has chemicals...that we should use natural .botanical or organic..how true is that

Does any body knows

Oct 11, 2010 07:04AM mymountain wrote:

Frances,

You'll "be told" alot of things about what possible connections there are to bc.  I agree with Deanna that years of birth control and/or HRT would be more likely contributors.  But we've been told that everything from too much meat,dairy, to deodorants may have had a role.  I havent heard that  using perfumes, cosmetics or botox/facial fillers might be linked to bc.

I'm a believer in natural and organic food and household products, but had not even considered giving up perfume. 

Good luck in finding an answer to your question, and please post what you find.

dx5/08 ILC 1cm/dcis in margins stage l grade ll 0/3 nodes er+pr- her2-,mast/diep recon